Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else think that STARDUST was overall pretty bad?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anyone else think that STARDUST was overall pretty bad?

Old 12-14-07, 04:15 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I just wanted to set the record straight that I don't call people names unless I have a really good reason.

And I didn't delete what I'd said, the mods must've deleted both mine and the other dude's, because his post is gone too.
Old 12-14-07, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
I just wanted to set the record straight that I don't call people names unless I have a really good reason.
According to the TOS, you shouldn't be calling anyone names, regardless of your reasons.

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Read somewhere recently that studios are rethinking the fantasy genre because this, "Bridge to Terabithia" and "The Golden Compass" have all been box-office underachievers. With an oversaturated market of "LOTR", "Harry Potter" and "Narnia". Which I think is ridiculous. It's just about the marketing and timing. And they all do great on DVD.
Maybe if they made movies that were of high quality and marketed them well, they wouldn't have this problem. Personally, I think fantasy as a money making trend is silly, as most fantasy is not very good, but all the films cost a lot of money to make.
Old 12-14-07, 04:22 PM

and people shouldn't wish other people dead, but we live in an imperfect world.
Old 12-14-07, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

If you have an issue with another member, report the post to a moderator. Don't start fights.
Old 12-14-07, 04:29 PM

Will do.
Old 12-14-07, 04:31 PM
Banned by request

Thanks.
Old 12-14-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet

.....as most fantasy is not very good, but all the films cost a lot of money to make.

Ironic, huh? You have to start with a good story. Also, sometimes you can see where they've spent the money. Sometimes you can't. While I'll be the first to admit some of the effects in "Stardust" could have been better (the close-up of Michelle Pfiefer when she briefly turned into a witch immediately comes to mind....not very good), the others more than made up for it. Such as the flying ship, the castles, etc.
Old 12-14-07, 04:36 PM
Banned by request

Actually, it looks like a lot of that movie was done practically. A good portion of the climax seems to have been done on set.
Old 12-14-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, it looks like a lot of that movie was done practically. A good portion of the climax seems to have been done on set.
Whoops, sorry. When I said "Also, sometimes you can see where they've spent the money", I meant most fantasy movies in general. Not "Stardust". I thought it's production was beautiful. And very nice special effects. Because of the lousy trailer, I came this close to not seeing it. I'm so glad I did. Even went back two weeks later with a bunch of friends. They all loved it too. I don't have a High Definitioin DVD player, but I do have an 60" DLP television and Tivo all the high def channels. Can't wait to see this on there.

Completely off the subject Suprmallet...but did you like "Superman Returns"?
Old 12-14-07, 05:05 PM
Banned by request

That is off the subject, but I did like Superman Returns. I'm one of the few.
Old 12-14-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is off the subject, but I did like Superman Returns. I'm one of the few.
Yeah, me too. Just caught that on a high def channel last week. Amazing!
Old 12-14-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think it was that bad of a movie. Enjoyed the story and performances.
Old 12-14-07, 05:16 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yeah, me too. Just caught that on a high def channel last week. Amazing!
I haven't seen it on cable, but I've got the HD DVD and it looks fantastic. Of course, the cinematography is very processed, but it does a great job of replicating the look Singer wanted.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to see how great Stardust will look. Claire Danes in HD...
Old 12-17-07, 01:40 PM

Stardust vs. Princess Bride

I enjoyed Stardust quite a bit. The fact that it is based on a novel by Neil Gaiman implied a good story, and I liked the casting and the superb music score. Granted, it isn't a great film, but then what is.

On another note, I have heard comparisons of Stardust and The Princess Bride, as both are romantic fantasy comedies. At the risk of infuriating fans of the latter I must ask why is The Princess Bride so popular? Other than a few great casting choices and some very funny dialog, I found it to be a collection of scenes/jokes with no intriguing story. Also, there were very few effects and live locations, and forgettable music score. I think the story could be adapted into a succesful stage production very easily. Your thoughts and opinions are always welcome...
Old 12-17-07, 01:52 PM

There are many reasons why The Princess Bride is much better than Stardust, but the bottom line is that I didn't think the leads in Stardust had much chemistry at all. They just put them together and just hoped that we bought it.
Old 12-17-07, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

The Princess Bride is a pretty great little swashbuckling tale, with the bedside story bookends letting it be fantastical and whimsical without trying to convince the audience that it's all true. It's a really fun film and I have nothing bad to say about it.

Stardust is, in my mind, even better.
Old 12-17-07, 08:47 PM

The Princess Bride is funnier, more charming, better music (forgettable? listen to the score and song, much better than Stardust's http://youtube.com/watch?v=hH26ag7FfL4, http://youtube.com/watch?v=uczkDCyFJsc ), less annoying bickering between the leads, better characters (and none that are pointless), more memorable dialogue, more inspired sword fighting, and doesn't rely on special effects to make it interesting. I'm not saying Stardust is terrible, but it's nowhere near the quality of this movie.
Old 12-18-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I saw this in the theater and was pretty disappointed, but I am giving it another shot on HD DVD.

IMO the Princess Bride comparisons were the worst thing for me going in, as IMO PB is about as perfect a film as I've ever seen. There is not one thing I'd change about it. My expectations were way too high with Stardust.

I'm hoping it views better for me without the expectations.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 12-18-07 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
I just rented STARDUST and was surprisingly disappointed with everything about the film:

1. For such a big-budget film, why were the special effects/CGI out of a mid-90s fantasy film? Was Uwe Boll the Special Effects Supervisor?

2. The make-up of the three witch sisters? Mid-90s again. Why were they made up done so poorly as if they were wearing Halloween costumes?

3. I read a lot of reviews summing up Claire Daines as "the beautiful, radiant shining Claire Daines". Are you kidding me? Damn, she is just butt-ugly now!

4. I'm all for wacky casting, but the casting was just awkward, especially with Ricky Gervais whom also looked like he threw on a non-fitting Halloween costume. Was any of his lines supposed to be funny?

5. The whole movie looked like obvious sets and big empty fields. It felt like it was trying to be epic by having those annoyingly running/traveling scenes on a big empty field to get to the next place. The scope of the film was totally poor and amateurish.

6. It's starting to get annoying with the trend of sticking McKellen or O'Toole in every epic-type fantasy films. It's a trend which is pushing it.

For such a big-budget blockbuster film, I had higher expectations. I did like seeing DeNiro and Phieffer. And the most entertaining scenes in the movie was with the goat man. But I'm now really fearing that this director is going to ruin THOR.
I LOVED it.
Old 12-19-07, 10:11 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
The Princess Bride is funnier, more charming, better music (forgettable? listen to the score and song, much better than Stardust's, less annoying bickering between the leads, better characters (and none that are pointless), more memorable dialogue, more inspired sword fighting, and doesn't rely on special effects to make it interesting. I'm not saying Stardust is terrible, but it's nowhere near the quality of this movie.
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
IMO the Princess Bride comparisons were the worst thing for me going in, as IMO PB is about as perfect a film as I've ever seen. There is not one thing I'd change about it.

I found Stardust to be very good, but nowhere near the quality of TPB.
Old 12-26-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Watched the HD DVD last night and was pleasantly surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. Such a FUN movie.
Old 12-26-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two points: first, the OP is completely off his rocker. While Stardust wasn't a great movie, it was certainly much, much better than 95% of the dreck that was out there this summer.

Second, Suprmallet's center-aligned signature is really, really, really obnoxious.
Old 12-26-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rented this and definitely don't plan on watching it again. When I saw that the running time was 2 hours, I thought that was a mistake. The Stardust that I watched was 4 hours long.
Old 12-26-07, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Rented this and definitely don't plan on watching it again. When I saw that the running time was 2 hours, I thought that was a mistake. The Stardust that I watched was 4 hours long.
What do you mean? Stardust (2007) is 2 hr and 10 mins
Old 12-26-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I think that was his way of saying that the movie dragged on for him.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.