DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Bucket List (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/519819-bucket-list.html)

mike2 12-11-07 09:41 PM

The Bucket List

So who's going to see this on friday? Something tells me it's going to be good. It's got Jack and Morgan in it. So it's gotta be good. Also from what I hear Nicholson only does a film if he likes the script. Anyway I think we'll be in for a treat.

Perkinsun Dzees 12-11-07 09:58 PM

Looking forward to it. Rob Reiner has perhaps the best track record of any director in modern cinema history (Spinal Tap, The Princess Bride, Stand By Me) so there's little chance that this one won't be great as well. So far I've heard nothing but extra positive buzz.

benh911 12-11-07 10:06 PM

Jack Nicholson = Me in the seat. Freeman just sweetens the deal.

Brack 12-11-07 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Looking forward to it. Rob Reiner has perhaps the best track record of any director in modern cinema history (Spinal Tap, The Princess Bride, Stand By Me) so there's little chance that this one won't be great as well. So far I've heard nothing but extra positive buzz.

It looks good. We should just forget he directed "North."

RichC2 12-11-07 10:23 PM

He's due for another North.

Tho I don't think this is it.

The Antipodean 12-11-07 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

All of which were 20 years ago... his latest movies include

Rumor Has It... (2005)
Alex & Emma (2003)
The Story of Us (1999)
Ghosts of Mississippi (1996)
The American President (1995)
North (1994)

Only one of those would I actually consider any good.

Daytripper 12-11-07 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
All of which were 20 years ago... his latest movies include

Rumor Has It... (2005)
Alex & Emma (2003)
The Story of Us (1999)
Ghosts of Mississippi (1996)
The American President (1995)
North (1994)

Only one of those would I actually consider any good.

Exactly. Did that guy not page down in IMDB? Nicholson and Freeman are two of the best, but this film looks nauseating to me. And produced a few groans from the audience when I saw the trailer.

Brack 12-11-07 11:07 PM

I've only seen The American President, the rest didn't seem that interesting. Looks like I lucked out.

ytrez 12-12-07 09:12 AM

I just watched the trailer and it doesn't look horrible.

mike2 12-13-07 11:01 AM

I won't be able to see this movie until the nationwide release is out in January. Maybe I can make it to NYC I'm sure it will be shown there.

Daytripper 12-19-07 05:12 PM

The reviews are starting to come in. So far on RT, 6 rotten and 4 fresh. I like this comment from Time Out:

Horribly manipulative, heinously written tripe.

Supermallet 12-19-07 05:19 PM

The ads looked awful, typical latter-day Rob Reiner overly sentimental bs.

Daytripper 12-19-07 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The ads looked awful, typical latter-day Rob Reiner overly sentimental bs.

Indeed. Could possibly tie with "Dan in Real Life" being the most nauseating movie of the year. At least that trailer looked decent and sucked me in. Like you said, ads for "The Bucket List" are dreadful.

cungar 12-19-07 05:30 PM

Just the latest in Jack's descent into feelgood crappery.

Seantn 12-19-07 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ytrez
I just watched the trailer and it doesn't look horrible.

With praise like that, I can't wait to see it!

mdc3000 01-14-08 09:02 AM

Saw this yesterday. I usually hate schmaltzy, manipulative, melodramatic movies like this, but I was won over somehow... I had a good time with 90% of the picture and even though it was beat by beat predictable within the first 5 minutes, the ending really hit me pretty hard. I didn't want it to and I knew it was overly sappy and usually I'd be snickering, but somehow there I was with tears streaming down my face. Not as horrible as the critics are saying and certainly not something so memorable you need to see it, but for a harmless time at the movies, you can't go too wrong with it. Nicholson and Freeman are fun to watch together so that alone made it worthwhile for me.

Daytripper 01-14-08 09:37 AM

:lol: Go Roger!

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...801100301/1001

Jaymole 01-14-08 10:05 AM

For a laugh, I just want to see the part where Jack Nicholson is doing a parachute jump. I read that the CGI is pretty awful in that scene.

mike2 01-14-08 07:43 PM

I thought Jack and Morgan had a good chemistry. The movie was sad as one could imagine. I was holding back some tears at the end. I don't think I'll be buying this on Blu-Ray. This falls into the September 11th film category such as: Flight 93 and WTC. You watch them once and that's really all you need to see. I gave it a 7.5