DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Wayans Brothers Completely Unaware of Hot Fuzz, Make Own Action Movie Parody (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/519726-wayans-brothers-completely-unaware-hot-fuzz-make-own-action-movie-parody.html)

Zen Peckinpah 12-10-07 09:42 PM

Wayans Brothers Completely Unaware of Hot Fuzz, Make Own Action Movie Parody

"Cop Movie"? "Lethal Weapons Like Dirty Harry Who Die Hard During Rush Hour for Telling True Lies"? "Hot Fuzz Wasn't Funny...But This Is"? Don't give a shit, this has disaster written all over it.

Why Paramount saw faith in this idea I cannot compensate to explain. Sure, Don't Be a Menace in South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood is a damn funny movie, but holy Joel Silver in a deep fryer, did they even compensate how Hot Fuzz already parodied the genre to brilliant effect? Also, I can't seem to think of any cop movies that would be considered contemporary and popular (besides Rush Hour or even Live Free or Die Hard), considering we're getting 300 parodies less than a year after the real deal nowadays, and again, the only notable one was Hot Fuzz.

FUN FACT: No articles on this movie's announcement have bothered mentioning Damon Wayans' presence in The Last Boy Scout. Maybe that's a good thing.

chris_sc77 12-10-07 09:44 PM

The sad (and depressing) fact is that this will probably make at least 3 times what Hot Fuzz made at U.S. Theatres and the ignorant-ass Americans who flocked to see Wild Hogs and White Chicks will love this movie.

RichC2 12-10-07 09:47 PM

I laughed a few times during Scary Movie and White Chicks and it is a genre ripe for spoofing (as Naked Gun and Hot Fuzz showed) so as long as it isn't as bad as Meet the Spartans looks I have no complaints, though I likely won't be paying to see it in a theater.

Taste isn't ignorance, though it's occasionally just as bad.

Joe Molotov 12-10-07 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
FUN FACT: No articles on this movie's announcement have bothered mentioning Damon Wayans' presence in The Last Boy Scout. Maybe that's a good thing.

The Last Boy Scout will probably be infinitely better than this turd.

Daytripper 12-10-07 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
The sad (and depressing) fact is that this will probably make at least 3 times what Hot Fuzz made at U.S. Theatres and the ignorant-ass Americans who flocked to see Wild Hogs and White Chicks will love this movie.

(Sigh) This is true. And it's evil sequel spawn.

Zen Peckinpah 12-10-07 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

Just for the Bruce Willis nose-through-brain comeuppance and the screenplay/giant encyclopedia of one-liners alone:

"Maybe I could take your daughter horseback riding. How old is she?"
"She's 13, and if you ever look at her funny I'm gonna shove an umbrella up your ass and open it."

And of course, the immortal:

"I think I fucked a squirrel and don't remember."

Supermallet 12-10-07 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
(Sigh) This is true. And it's evil sequel spawn.

Spawn was a sequel to White Chicks? :confused:

PopcornTreeCt 12-11-07 02:32 AM

Hot Fuzz was a true parody in the sense. This movie will just be a bunch random scenes parodying movies thrown together to string along an excuse for a plot.

mndtrp 12-11-07 02:42 AM

Is the funny Wayans going to be in it?

taffer 12-11-07 03:48 AM

Bring on Little Man 2!

riotinmyskull 12-11-07 05:00 AM

lemme guess, it's going to be called "cop movie"

Mr. Salty 12-11-07 05:36 AM

Why Paramount saw faith in this idea I cannot compensate to explain. Sure, Don't Be a Menace in South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood is a damn funny movie, but holy Joel Silver in a deep fryer, did they even compensate how Hot Fuzz already parodied the genre to brilliant effect?

"Compensate" doesn't mean what you think it means.

On topic, the Wayans brothers have been losing steam since their "In Living Color"/"I'm Gonna Git You Sucka"/"Scary Movie" heyday, but then that also means they could be due for a hit. This movie could be bad, but I think I'll at least wait until I see a trailer before I prejudge it.

And it's not like "Hot Fuzz" was the first action movie parody. See anything made by Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker.

Charlie Goose 12-11-07 07:41 AM

Hot Fuzz already parodied the genre to brilliant effect?
Let's not get nuts here. Hot Fuzz was moderately enjoyable at best; hardly brilliant.

RichC2 12-11-07 08:42 AM

I'd agree. Hot Fuzz was a big step down from the genius Shaun of the Dead. Enjoyable, though.

mmconhea 12-11-07 08:58 AM

I thought hot fuzz was well done, but certainly not laugh out loud. I guess someone on this board should call the Wayans and let them know Hot Fuzz exists so they can stop making this movie ASAP!

tylergfoster 12-11-07 09:14 AM

Just for the Bruce Willis nose-through-brain comeuppance and the screenplay/giant encyclopedia of one-liners alone:

"Maybe I could take your daughter horseback riding. How old is she?"
"She's 13, and if you ever look at her funny I'm gonna shove an umbrella up your ass and open it."

And of course, the immortal:

"I think I fucked a squirrel and don't remember."

"Do dead people make bad jokes?"
"No."
"Shit, we're alive. We're alive!"
"Yeah. Hooray."

GuessWho 12-11-07 10:17 AM

Hot Fuzz makers--completely unaware of Hot Shots, Hot Shots 2, and Loaded Weapon--make own action movie parody

DRG 12-11-07 10:26 AM

Well, sad to say but at least the Wayans brothers are a step up from the guys who did Date Movie and Epic Movie. I thought Don't Be a Menace... was a truly funny parody and at least Scary Movie had its moments and stayed on track. Of course, they also did Little Man... if I had to decide what the bigger crapfest was between Little Man or Date Movie... I just don't know.

fumanstan 12-11-07 10:27 AM

I'm confused. What does Damon Wayans have to do with this? He typically isn't in any of the Shawn/Marlon goofball comedies.

Giles 12-11-07 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm confused. What does Damon Wayans have to do with this? He typically isn't in any of the Shawn/Marlon goofball comedies.

hey it's family and he needs to come up from under the rock he's been hiding under.

islandclaws 12-11-07 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

That's an insult to turds everywhere.

Daytripper 12-11-07 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Hot Fuzz makers--completely unaware of Hot Shots, Hot Shots 2, and Loaded Weapon--make own action movie parody

Hardly in the same category. Like PocornTreeCt said:

Hot Fuzz was a true parody in the sense. Those movies were just be a bunch random scenes parodying movies thrown together to string along an excuse for a plot.

Drexl 12-11-07 12:13 PM

Team America: World Police was a good action movie parody.

GoldenJCJ 12-11-07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Is the funny Wayans going to be in it?

There's a funny Wayans?

Deftones 12-11-07 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'd agree. Hot Fuzz was a big step down from the genius Shaun of the Dead. Enjoyable, though.

I know that's blasphemy, but I completely agree. I was moderately disappointed in Hot Fuzz. It was good, but nothing nearly as good as Shaun of the Dead.