DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   2007 OSCAR TALK - news, discussion, speculation (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/519111-2007-oscar-talk-news-discussion-speculation.html)

Mr. Cinema 12-04-07 10:01 AM

2007 OSCAR TALK - news, discussion, speculation

It's December, which means it's close to Oscar time with several contenders opening this month. As the weeks go on, many of the contenders will become pretenders. But for now, there are several in the hunt for each category. So what's everyone thinking are the front runners?

For Picture, I think we have 3 locks: No Country for Old Men, American Gangster, and Atonement. I think strong possibilities are Michael Clayton, Sweeney Todd, There Will Be Blood, Juno, Charlie Wilson's War, and Into the Wild.

Unfortunately, although I strongly feel that Zodiac should be picked, I have a feeling the Academy has forgotten about it and may only give Downey Jr. a nomination. Something like The Kite Runner or Gone Baby Gone could sneak in.

Best Actor, once again, is going to be another solid group. I think Daniel Day Lewis (There Will Be Blood) is a lock, with Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Savages/Before the Devil Knows You're Dead) as being a likely choice. Josh Brolin for the extremely popular No Country for Old Men. Denzel Washington(American Gangster), James McAvoy (Atonement), George Clooney (Michael Clayton), Johnny Depp (Sweeney Todd), Emile Hirsch (Into the Wild) also have a good chance of getting in. There's still a few more options here as well. Another deep category.

RichC2 12-04-07 10:07 AM

Sweeney Todd seems to be getting a lot of critical praise. I think that the now overlooked Away From Her may be up for some major awards. I also disagree with your 3 locks, though I can't explain why right now.

Undeniable though: Josh Brolin is on a roll this year.

Mr. Cinema 12-04-07 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Sweeney Todd seems to be getting a lot of critical praise. I think that the now overlooked Away From Her may be up for some major awards. I also disagree with your 3 locks, though I can't explain why right now.

Undeniable though: Josh Brolin is on a roll this year.

Even No Country for Old Men? That, to me, is the easiest choice anyone could make if they're picking Best Picture contenders.

Giles 12-04-07 10:30 AM

sadly I think it's going to be the Oscar/Golden Globes nom's for No Country for Old Men and American Gangster that will make me go and see these films - these films are so low on my 'must see' list

Giles 12-04-07 10:32 AM

I think the Academy should just give out the Oscar now for Pixar's Ratatouille and get it over with ;)

chris_sc77 12-04-07 10:38 AM

my guesses:
1. Sweeney Todd
2. No Country For Old Men
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Atonement
5. Zodiac (or possibly Into The Wild)

For the Golden Globes I say:
MUSICAL/COMEDY
1. Sweeney Todd
2. Across The Universe
3. Hairspray
4. Juno
5. Knocked Up

DRAMA:
1. No Country For Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Into The Wild
4. American Gangster
5. Zodiac

Giles 12-04-07 10:41 AM

sorry for the threadcrap here, but I've found the critical slobbery over Into the Wild to be just grating - ugh...

Shannon Nutt 12-04-07 10:42 AM

I hope the Academy doesn't forget the brilliant job Chris Cooper did in BREACH (but they probably will!). Best performance of the year, IMHO.

Giles 12-04-07 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
my guesses:
1. Sweeney Todd
2. No Country For Old Men
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Atonement
5. Zodiac (or possibly Into The Wild)

For the Golden Globes I say:
MUSICAL/COMEDY
1. Sweeney Todd
2. Across The Universe
3. Hairspray
4. Juno
5. Knocked Up

DRAMA:
1. No Country For Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Into The Wild
4. American Gangster
5. Zodiac

Once should be included IMO.

islandclaws 12-04-07 10:46 AM

It hasn't been an amazing year, really, but there are some bovious films that are a lock for top awards. No Country for Old Men is the first that springs to mind. Bardem deserves a supporting actor nom, as does Brolin for lead. I see Denzel getting one for American Gangster and probably Depp for Sweeney Todd. I hope Fincher gets a nom for Zodiac because he clearly deserves it, same for Downey Jr.

Drexl 12-04-07 10:48 AM

I'm hoping Waitress gets something. I'd like to see Andy Griffith for Supporting Actor.

chris_sc77 12-04-07 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I hope the Academy doesn't forget the brilliant job Chris Cooper did in BREACH (but they probably will!). Best performance of the year, IMHO.

He did do great work in that film. Would that be considered a lead performance or a supporting performance though? He might have a chance if pushed in the supporting category (kinda like how ethan Hawke got nominated for Training day).

I would also like to see Rescue Dawn get some love this year. Bale for lead actor, zahn for supp. actor, Herzog for director, etc.
And I've never been a big Richard Gere fan but he was great in the Hoax.

Giles 12-04-07 10:52 AM

I hope some noms for Eastern Promises happen

Patman 12-04-07 10:54 AM

Until I see these contenders, I can't really put together a list of nominations, it's still too premature because I want to based my noms on an informed opinion, not on simply hype or hope. 2 months ago, American Gangster was a lock on many people's list for BP, but I was disappointed by the film. So, I think it's best to see the films in question before touting them blindly.

Don't know why, but I'm sort of getting tired of the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp/Helena Bonham Carter productions (they all feel sort of dark and dreary to me).

Giles 12-04-07 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Patman

Don't know why, but I'm sort of getting tired of the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp/Helena Bonham Carter productions (they all feel sort of dark and dreary to me).

but they sing! :D

Geofferson 12-04-07 11:43 AM

After crowning The Departed last year, I don't see the Academy rewarding similarly violent movies (American Gangster, Eastern Promises again this year. I would say that both have a good chance for Best Director nom's.

Casey Affleck is deserving of some attention as well.

RichC2 12-04-07 12:07 PM

Alright my main concerns with the big names so far this year --

American Gangster - It's a good movie but far removed from a great one, it is epic in scope but ultimately has been done so many times in the past that it just doesn't really standout, however, this has the best chance for a best picture nomination. Simply put, though, this was a disappointment from one of my favorite directors.

No Country For Old Men - this is a masterfully shot/directed movie, but when you get down to it, it's still a chase film and essentially a high grade genre pic. It's fantastic, but I see it being this years Children of Men - lots of fanfare and critical acclaim, but little in terms of big awards. Bardem should definitely be nominated for best actor/supporting actor, though. Brolin was also fantastic but I don't know if an award nom is a lock for him. The brothers are almost guaranteed a nomination.

Atonement - Actually, I think this one is a lock for best pic, but that's just from what I've heard.

There Will Be Blood - same as Atonement. With a best actor nom for Day Lewis and Supporting Actor nom for Paul Dano.

On a side note, I see Julie Christie (Away From Her) and Amy Adams (Enchanted) being nominated (Adams IS that movie.) Possibly Ellen Page.

Edit: To note, though, I'm usually really bad with these things :)

conscience 12-04-07 12:14 PM

Frank Langella - Starting Out In The Evening will be the dark horse nominee in Best Actor unless the useless Academy overlooks his great performance. -ohbfrank-

And Hal Holbrook has my pick for Supporting Actor.

Oh and Before The Devil Knows Your Dead for a Best Picture nomination.

MBoyd 12-04-07 12:17 PM

Its a long shot, but he has gotten a nod from Variety - Sam Riley best actor for Control.

I also agree with Chris Cooper for Breach.

I'd also like to see Zodiac represented somewhere.

No Country For Old Men is probably my hands down favorite of the year, but I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet. :)

Giles 12-04-07 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by conscience
Frank Langella - Starting Out In The Evening will be the dark horse nominee in Best Actor unless the useless Academy overlooks his great performance. -ohbfrank-

And Hal Holbrook has my pick for Supporting Actor.

given the very limited release - it's not playing here in DC. I don't think many will see Frank's performance.

Doughboy 12-04-07 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I think the Academy should just give out the Oscar now for Pixar's Ratatouille and get it over with ;)

Too bad they created that stupid Best Animated Feature award otherwise it might have an outside shot at a Best Picture nod. Especially in a year as weak as this one.

conscience 12-04-07 12:20 PM

given the very limited release - it's not playing here in DC. I don't many will see Frank's performance.

And that is just too bad. Of course, Denzel (who is just a boring actor IMO) will get in for American Gangster just because it opened on more than 2,000 screens...

Daytripper 12-04-07 12:20 PM

sadly I think it's going to be the Oscar/Golden Globes nom's for No Country for Old Men and American Gangster that will make me go and see these films - these films are so low on my 'must see' list

Why!?? "NCFOM" is hands down the best film I've seen all year. Its an immediate classic.

Giles 12-04-07 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Why!?? "NCFOM" is hands down the best film I've seen all year. Its an immediate classic.

because every recent Coen brother film I've seen has gotten progressively worse.

Giles 12-04-07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by conscience
And that is just too bad. Of course, Denzel (who is just a boring actor IMO) will get in for American Gangster just because it opened on more than 2,000 screens...

I couldn't care less about Denzel - he's overrated and pompous IMO.