Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2007 OSCAR TALK - news, discussion, speculation

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2007 OSCAR TALK - news, discussion, speculation

Old 02-24-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I'm a huge Coen Bros. fan, I think that There Will Be Blood was the Best Film of 2007. I don't think it will play out that way tonight as I think that No Country will pick up most of the important awards.

BEST PICTURE
Will Win: No Country for Old Men
My Vote: There Will Be Blood

DIRECTOR
Will Win: Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
My Vote: PTA, There Will Be Blood

ACTOR
Will Win: Daniel Day-Lewis
My Vote: Daniel Day-Lewis

ACTRESS
Will Win: Julie Christie
My Vote: Julie Christie

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Will Win: Javier Bardem
My Vote: Javier Bardem

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Will Win: Amy Ryan
My Vote: Tilda Swinton or Amy Ryan

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Will Win: No Country For Old Men
My Vote: No Country For Old Men

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Will Win: Juno
My Vote: Michael Clayton

ANIMATED FEATURE
Will Win: Ratatouille
My Vote: Only have seen Surfs Up and would not vote for it.

ART DIRECTION
Will Win: There Will Be Blood

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Will Win: There Will Be Blood

COSTUME DESIGN
Will Win: Atonement

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Will Win: No End in Sight
My Vote: N/A

FILM EDITING
Will Win: The Bourne Ultimatum
My Vote: The Bourne Ultimatum

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Will Win: The Counterfeiters

MAKEUP
Will Win: La Vie en Rose

ORIGINAL SCORE
Will Win: Atonement
My Vote: Atonement

ORIGINAL SONG
Will Win: "Falling Slowly", Once
My Vote: "Falling Slowly", Once

SOUND EDITING
Will Win: Transformers
My Vote: Transformers

SOUND MIXING

VISUAL EFFECTS

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Will Win: No End in Sight

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
Will Win: Salim Baba

FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Will Win: The Counterfeiters

SHORT FILM (Animated)
Will Win: I Met The Walrus

SHORT FILM (Live Action)
Will Win: At Night

Last edited by amplified; 02-24-08 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
anyone else picking Ellen Page for the win tonight? i really want her as my dark horse and think Marion Cotillard & Julie Christie might just cancel each other out.
Picking as in thinking she will win or wanting her to win? If it's for thinking she'll win, I might be willing to say yes if I was going for an upset (like in the NCAA tournament where you know there are going to be upsets, so you pick some). If it's for wanting her to win, absolutely not. It's not that I don't like her; It's just that I couldn't vote for her performance over those of Marion Cotillard or Julie Christie.
Old 02-24-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I also think people rooting for Ellen Page haven't seen the other 4 nominees in the Best Actress category because at least 3 of them are better than Page's performance in terms of range and disappearing into their respective roles. Granted, a lot of it is due to Juno being a teenager suddenly having to face adult choices, but still, the character arcs that many of the other performances in this category take the audience on is far richer than the one we go on with Juno.

Julie Christie is the sentimental choice, but Marion Cotillard hits a home run with her role as Edith Piaf in "La Vie en Rose".
Old 02-24-08, 03:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Picking as in thinking she will win or wanting her to win? If it's for thinking she'll win, I might be willing to say yes if I was going for an upset (like in the NCAA tournament where you know there are going to be upsets, so you pick some). If it's for wanting her to win, absolutely not. It's not that I don't like her; It's just that I couldn't vote for her performance over those of Marion Cotillard or Julie Christie.
just thinking she will win. i haven't seen the other performances so cannot make judgement. i wouldn't say Ellen Page's performance is Oscar worthy, very good, yes, but Academy good, no. i just think this category in particular has that air of uncertainty and she was the frontrunner in the beginning. could be the Alan Arkin factor which i thought was ridiculous last year, but this is Leading so i am less certain for her to win now.
Old 02-24-08, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Ebert & Roeper (with Michael Phillips filling in for Ebert) has the annual "If We Picked The Winners" of the Oscars online only this year:

E&R If We Picked The Winners (of the Oscars)

And, BTW, Michael Phillips dismissing No Country For Old Men as a glorified "serial killer movie" is by far the dumbest comment I've heard yet from a professional critic on that movie. Talk about completely missing the point of the movie! (But at least its absence from his 2007 Top-10 list is finally explained.)
This was a good show. Very happy to see Phillips pick There WIll Be Blood and Daniel Day Lewis for wins. The real dumbest comments were made by Roper when he tries put down There WIll Be Bloods performance by DD-L IMO.
I think NCFOM is kind of a glorified serial killer movie and there is nothing wrong with that. You could say the same thing about Silence of the Lambs if you think about it.
I would like to see a movie with both Anton Chigurh and Buffalo Bill...That would certainly win the most awkward award if their indeed was one.
Old 02-24-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I think NCFOM is kind of a glorified serial killer movie and there is nothing wrong with that. You could say the same thing about Silence of the Lambs if you think about it.
SOTL is a serial killer movie, but NCFOM is not. For one thing, Anton Chigurh is not a serial killer but instead is a paid hitman (a sociopathic hitman, true, but still a hitman). He embodies evil, but that does not make him a serial killer and seeing him as such is really missing the point.
Old 02-24-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
just thinking she will win. i haven't seen the other performances so cannot make judgement. i wouldn't say Ellen Page's performance is Oscar worthy, very good, yes, but Academy good, no. i just think this category in particular has that air of uncertainty and she was the frontrunner in the beginning. could be the Alan Arkin factor which i thought was ridiculous last year, but this is Leading so i am less certain for her to win now.
I think people who say her performance isn't oscar worthy have been caught up in the idea that comedy or lighter films aren't as worthy as the dramatic ones. Ellen Page is perfect in Juno. There is not a single dishonest moment in the entire film, she is so natural in every scene and that is very difficult with such a unique character.
Old 02-24-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SOTL is a serial killer movie, but NCFOM is not. For one thing, Anton Chigurh is not a serial killer but instead is a paid hitman (a sociopathic hitman, true, but still a hitman). He embodies evil, but that does not make him a serial killer and seeing him as such is really missing the point.
I agree that it's definitely not a serial killer movie. But it certainly glorifies Chigurh. It's basically his movie and everyone else is cattle. I don't think the Coens meant for that to happen but it's how I feel about the movie now long after I've seen it.
Old 02-24-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I just finished watching Atonement and Michael Clayton, so that finishes up all of the Best Picture nominees for me this year.
Old 02-24-08, 07:08 PM
Banned

I think maybe a better comparison to NCFOM would be A Simple Plan (which I actually think is both a much better novel and film) but A simple plan doesn't have a real strong villain like NCFOM has. maybe it isn't a "serial killer movie" like "Se7en" or many other thrillers but there are certain elements that these films share of course.