Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2007 OSCAR TALK - news, discussion, speculation

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2007 OSCAR TALK - news, discussion, speculation

Old 12-04-07, 12:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Too bad they created that stupid Best Animated Feature award otherwise it might have an outside shot at a Best Picture nod. Especially in a year as weak as this one.
yes I agree, it has generally been a weak year
Old 12-04-07, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Alright my main concerns with the big names so far this year --

American Gangster - It's a good movie but far removed from a great one, it is epic in scope but ultimately has been done so many times in the past that it just doesn't really standout, however, this has the best chance for a best picture nomination. Simply put, though, this was a disappointment from one of my favorite directors.

No Country For Old Men - this is a masterfully shot/directed movie, but when you get down to it, it's still a chase film and essentially a high grade genre pic. It's fantastic, but I see it being this years Children of Men - lots of fanfare and critical acclaim, but little in terms of big awards. Bardem should definitely be nominated for best actor/supporting actor, though. Brolin was also fantastic but I don't know if an award nom is a lock for him. The brothers are almost guaranteed a nomination.

Atonement - Actually, I think this one is a lock for best pic, but that's just from what I've heard.

There Will Be Blood - same as Atonement. With a best actor nom for Day Lewis and Supporting Actor nom for Paul Dano.

On a side note, I see Julie Christie (Away From Her) and Amy Adams (Enchanted) being nominated (Adams IS that movie.) Possibly Ellen Page.

Edit: To note, though, I'm usually really bad with these things
while Enchanted is cliched Disney by the numbers, Amy's performance is spot on.
Old 12-04-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Also, everybody keeps saying what a crappy year it has been for movies, not sure I can agree with that. Lot of damn fine movies made their way out this year - I mean, most of the blockbusters sucked, but theres been plenty to enjoy this year:

No Country for Old Men, Ratatouille, The King of Kong, Away From Her, 3:10 to Yuma, My Kid Could Paint That, The Bourne Ultimatum, Sicko, Hairspray, Gone Baby Gone, This Is England, Knocked Up, Superbad, Rescue Dawn, Michael Clayton, Zodiac, Hot Fuzz, Eastern Promises, Control, Waitress, The Lookout, The Simpsons Movie (which I did enjoy), Live Free or Die Hard (also enjoyed), Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, Starter for Ten, The Hoax, 2 Days in Paris, The Namesake, Breach, Bridge to Terabithia, Paris Je T'aime, Into The Wild, Air Guitar Nation, Grindhouse, Paprika (okay I wasn't a huge fan, but its there no less), American Gangster, The Kingdom, I'm Not There, Lars and the Real Girl, etc; It has been fairly solid for me at least. (Also enjoyed The Darjeeling Limited and Beowulf amongst others). and that doesn't include the slew of titles I haven't got to see yet (Sweeney Todd, Juno, Atonement, The Mist, Lust, Caution, My Blueberry Nights (which I don't expect much out of), Harry Potter 5, Assassination of Jesse James, I Am Legend, The Kite Runner, Walk Hard, Charlie Wilson's War, The Orphanage, There Will Be Blood, etc; )

alas, to each their own I suppose. Though I feel it has been a much better movie going year than the last few have been.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-04-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Although I think the critics were unfair towards the movie (they didn't hate it, but didn't love it either), I thought Cate Blanchett gave the year's best performance by an actress in "Elizabeth: the Golden Age". But due to the not so great reviews, I doubt she has a chance for a nomination. I hope she does anyway. Movie goers gave the film high scores though.

Last edited by Daytripper; 12-04-07 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If not for Elizabeth... I think she'll get a nomination for I'm Not There (though it would be supporting.)
Old 12-04-07, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Also, everybody keeps saying what a crappy year it has been for movies, not sure I can agree with that. Lot of damn fine movies made their way out this year - I mean, most of the blockbusters sucked, but theres been plenty to enjoy this year:

Ratatouille, The King of Kong, Away From Her, 3:10 to Yuma, My Kid Could Paint That, The Bourne Ultimatum, Sicko, Hairspray, Gone Baby Gone, This Is England, Knocked Up, Superbad, Rescue Dawn, Michael Clayton, Zodiac, Hot Fuzz, Eastern Promises, Control, Waitress, The Lookout, The Simpsons Movie (which I did enjoy), Live Free or Die Hard (also enjoyed), Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, Starter for Ten, The Hoax, 2 Days in Paris, The Namesake, Breach, Bridge to Terabithia, Paris Je T'aime, Into The Wild, Air Guitar Nation, Grindhouse, Paprika (okay I wasn't a huge fan, but its there no less), American Gangster, I'm Not There, Lars and the Real Girl, etc; It has been fairly solid for me at least.

The animated features category only has two real contestants (Rats and Persepolis), curious who will get the third spot.
Ratatouille: thumbs up
The King of Kong: didn't see
Away From Her: need to rent
3:10 to Yuma: good performances not very memorable IMO
My Kid Could Paint That: missed
The Bourne Ultimatum: need to rent
Sicko: engaging but still felt very manipulative
Hairspray: thumbs up
Gone Baby Gone: this was a surprise
This Is England: very good
Knocked Up: need to rent
Superbad: vastly overrated
Rescue Dawn: excellent performances
Michael Clayton: again all round excellent performances but the story felt underdeveloped:
Zodiac: excellent
Hot Fuzz: fun, but inferior to 'Shaun'
Eastern Promises: Cronenberg delivers after HoV which I didn't care for
Control: missed
Waitress: good performances, the story felt stilted
The Lookout: excellent movie that few actually saw
The Simpsons Movie: fun but felt like they could have had been alot more.
Live Free or Die Hard: I love action flix's but I'm sorry this was dumb as dirt
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead: this I gotta see
The Wind That Shakes the Barley: saw last year, very good but not Loach's best
Starter for Ten: enjoyable but not memorable
The Hoax: missed
2 Days in Paris: good but felt Delpy got a tad overboard with her filming
The Namesake: just recieved from Netflix,
Breach: very good in a subtle way
Bridge to Terabithia: a surprise, very moving and painfully sad as is the book
Paris Je T'aime: good but uneven
Into The Wild: one word pretentious
Air Guitar Nation: missed
Grindhouse: the best part were the trailers
Paprika: very good but Tekkonkinreet is vastly superior
American Gangster: someone might have to pay for my ticket to see this.
I'm Not There: not a Dylan fan, couldn't care less
Lars and the Real Girl: can wait for video release
Sweeney Todd: seeing Thursday night - can't wait!!!
The Mist: surprisingly good
Lust, Caution: I didn't feel compelled to see this
Harry Potter 5: enjoyed this the second time around, but film still felt disjointed,
Assassination of Jesse James: little to no interest in seeing this
The Orphanage: excellent

Last edited by Giles; 12-04-07 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 12:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
because every recent Coen brother film I've seen has gotten progressively worse.
Most people would agree with you. And most who have seen No Country would agree that its a return to form for the brothers.
Old 12-04-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
because every recent Coen brother film I've seen has gotten progressively worse.
I don't like Coen Bros. that much and I think No Country For Old Men is a must-see.

And I would love to see Hoax nominated for something.
Old 12-04-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
Most people would agree with you. And most who have seen No Country would agree that it's a return to form for the brothers.
And for some, that is just as much of a detriment.

As for the Academy Awards, I don't have much opinion, seeing as how the best American film I saw this year was made in 1977 (technically, Killer of Sheep did not see commercial distribution until this year... so it can be eligible I guess).

When I saw it at the Chicago International Film Festival, it appeared to me that The Diving Bell and the Butterfly may be Miramax's Oscar bait this year either generally or in the foreign film category (more likely).

It would be great for The Cats of Mirikitani to get some notice in the documentary category.

Also, Once is the best musical I've seen this decade.

Perhaps Rescue Dawn can be a dark horse in a few categories (direction, acting, cinematography, sceenplay).

Most of these are pipe dreams though...
Old 12-04-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm too busy talking about Sweeney Todd elsewhere to be much of a presence here these days, where no one seems remotely interested in it.

But I think the writing's on the wall: it's opening to stellar reviews and a good shot at all the major awards.
Old 12-04-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
god if you exist out there,please let Zodiac sweep the Oscars.

i've never ever rooted for a movie like this before,never.
Old 12-04-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope some noms for Eastern Promises happen
agreed, but i am not sure that will happen.
Old 12-04-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone even seen "There Will Be Blood"??? No doubt Day-Lewis will be quite good, but there's no point predicting anything for anything if it hasn't been seen. Remember Dreamgirls last year, and all it's hype? I'm not picking specifically on "There Will Be Blood" but all the speculation for noms based just on hype is ridiculous. Same goes for "Sweeny Todd".
Old 12-04-07, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by adamblast
I'm too busy talking about Sweeney Todd elsewhere to be much of a presence here these days, where no one seems remotely interested in it.

But I think the writing's on the wall: it's opening to stellar reviews and a good shot at all the major awards.
I'm pretty interested in it! Wont be able to see it until mid Jan though. In China for a month. Yes I know, someone pointed out in another thread maybe I could get the bootleg of I Am Legend.
Old 12-04-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
Has anyone even seen "There Will Be Blood"??? No doubt Day-Lewis will be quite good, but there's no point predicting anything for anything if it hasn't been seen. Remember Dreamgirls last year, and all it's hype? I'm not picking specifically on "There Will Be Blood" but all the speculation for noms based just on hype is ridiculous. Same goes for "Sweeny Todd".
Oh no you didn't! You didn't just compare "There Will Be Blood" to "Dreamgirls" because even P.T. Anderson's worst film is better than Bill Condon's best.

And I'm predicting Paul Dano gets a supporting actor nod.

I really hope "American Gangster" doesn't get any nods. It's not even in the same league as "The Departed", it's not even as good as "Heat" which I don't think was nominated for anything.
Old 12-04-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To Sundog: I'm ***dying*** to see "Once". Didn't get a chance to catch it in the theaters. It's released on DVD in two weeks so I can't comment on it's chances for any major nominations. But what do you think?

Re: "Zodiac". The studio owes the film a refresher to the Academy members. It would be criminial if RDJ didn't get a nomination. I think it's his best performance ever. Finch also deserves a nomination (IMO). As well as the cinematography.

Re: "Eastern Promises". Both Vigo Mortensen and Armin Mueller-Stahl turned in award nominated performances. And the screenplay was pretty tight too.

His performance might be too "out there", but I thought Ryan Gosling was terrific in "Lars and the Real Girl". I damn the person(s) here who said he reminded them of David Arquette. Now I can't stop thinking that too

I think "The Savages" will get nominations for it's leads. And although the reviews are smokin', the trailer did absolutely nothing for me. I'll see it anyway.

Question: "The Italian" was released here in the U.S. in January. Does it qualify for a Best Foreign Film nomination? How about "Black Book"?

And last, for Giles. Both "American Gangster" and "No Country.." were "Citizen (freakin') Kane compared to "The Mist" Seriously, I thought that movie absolutely stunk.
Old 12-04-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once will win something, if only for the main song.
Old 12-04-07, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Once will win something, if only for the main song.
Alright. Both of them performing would get me to pay attention to the broadcast.
Old 12-04-07, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
To Sundog: I'm ***dying*** to see "Once". Didn't get a chance to catch it in the theaters. It's released on DVD in two weeks so I can't comment on it's chances for any major nominations. But what do you think?
Oh definitely good chances. It was a cheap movie that played all summer long and has outstanding word of mouth. Getting a nomination will just make even more money for all the distributors.

And likely another theatrical run.
Old 12-05-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I hope the Academy doesn't forget the brilliant job Chris Cooper did in BREACH (but they probably will!). Best performance of the year, IMHO.
I still think he's a shoo-in for at least a supporting nod.
Old 12-05-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My early Best Pics:
-Gone Baby Gone
-There Will Be Blood
-Antonment
-Juno (as the surprise entry)
-No country for Old Men

I do think it's a bit too early to even guess, we have a sold month of releases yet. The thing I'm a little mad about is who's on the short list for Documentary nominations. There's no "King of Kong" or "Devil Came on Horseback"; two great docs form this year. It's all Iraq political things.
Old 12-05-07, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
My early Best Pics:
-Gone Baby Gone
-There Will Be Blood
-Antonment
-Juno (as the surprise entry)
-No country for Old Men

I do think it's a bit too early to even guess, we have a sold month of releases yet. The thing I'm a little mad about is who's on the short list for Documentary nominations. There's no "King of Kong" or "Devil Came on Horseback"; two great docs form this year. It's all Iraq political things.
while I agree with 'Devil..' I also thought 'In the Shadow of the Moon' was one of the year's best.

question: so why is there so much positive word on 'There Will Be Blood'?
Old 12-05-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

National Board of Review Top Films of 2007:

Best Film: No Country for Old Men

Runner Ups (Alphabetical): The board's other choices for the top films of the year, in alphabetical order, were: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Bucket List," "Into the Wild," "Juno," "The Kite Runner" "Lars and the Real Girl," "Michael Clayton" and "Sweeney Todd."

They named George Clooney Best Actor for Clayton and Julie Christie Best Actress for Away From Her. Casey Affleck (Assassination/Jesse) and Amy Ryan (GB Gone) for Best Supporting.

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" was the group's choice for best foreign-language film, with "Ratatouille" winning in the animation category.

The National Board of Review is the first group to announce its favorite movie each awards season, but lately it hasn't been a predictor of eventual Oscar success. Last year, they chose Clint Eastwood's "Letters From Iwo Jima" while the Academy Award for best picture went to Martin Scorsese's "The Departed." In 2005, they named "Good Night, and Good Luck" as their top film and "Crash" was the surprise winner at the Oscars. "Finding Neverland" was their choice in 2004 while the best-picture Oscar went to "Million Dollar Baby." The National Board and the Academy did align, however, for 1999's "American Beauty."
The hype for There Will Be Blood comes from the combo of Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Thomas Anderson, the book, and early critical acclaim. And despite my gut feeling that No Country will be snubbed of a Best Picture nomination, it seems as if it will be getting a nom (Each Board of Review top pick has at least been nominated for the last few years (since 2001, when Quills won but did not get an Academy nom.))

Edit: Complete Awards --

Awards for 2007:

Best Film
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Top Ten Films
(In alphabetical order) THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD, ATONEMENT, THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM, THE BUCKET LIST, INTO THE WILD, JUNO, THE KITE RUNNER, LARS AND THE REAL GIRL, MICHAEL CLAYTON, SWEENEY TODD

Best Foreign Film
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY

Top Five Foreign Films
(In alphabetical order) 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS, 2 DAYS, THE BAND'S VISIT, THE COUNTERFEITERS, LA VIE EN ROSE, LUST, CAUTION

Top Five Documentaries
(In alphabetical order) DARFUR NOW, IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, NANKING, TAXI TO THE DARKSIDE, TOOTS

Top Independent Films
(In alphabetical order) AWAY FROM HER, GREAT WORLD OF SOUND, HONEYDRIPPER, IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH, A MIGHTY HEART, THE NAMESAKE, ONCE, THE SAVAGES, STARTING OUT IN THE EVENING, WAITRESS

Best Actor
GEORGE CLOONEY, Michael Clayton

Best Actress
JULIE CHRISTIE, Away From Her

Best Supporting Actor
CASEY AFFLECK, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Best Supporting Actress
AMY RYAN, Gone Baby Gone

Best Ensemble Cast
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Breakthrough Performance by an Actor
EMILE HIRSCH, Into The Wild

Breakthrough Performance by an Actress
ELLEN PAGE, Juno

Best Director
TIM BURTON, Sweeney Todd

Best Directorial Debut
BEN AFFLECK, Gone Baby Gone

Best Adapted Screenplay
JOEL COEN and ETHAN COEN, No Country For Old Men

Best Original Screenplay
DIABLO CODY, Juno and NANCY OLIVER, Lars and the Real Girl

Best Documentary
BODY OF WAR

Best Animated Feature
RATATOUILLE

Career Achievement Award
MICHAEL DOUGLAS

William K. Everson Award For Film History
ROBERT OSBORNE

Career Achievement in Cinematography
ROGER DEAKINS

The Bvlgari Award for NBR Freedom of Expression
THE GREAT DEBATERS and PERSEPOLIS

Last edited by RichC2; 12-05-07 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And so the very long list of critical awards for No Country begins...

By the way, Gone Baby Gone is not getting nominated for Best Picture, and Juno getting in would not be a surprise at all at this point.
Old 12-05-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
And so the very long list of critical awards for No Country begins...
See Giles?

However....."The Bucket List"!?? Sure, I've only seen the trailer. But it made me want to puke. Never mind the Cohen Brothers. When's the last time Rob Reiner has done a good film...."A Few Good Men"?

Re: Julie Christie. Sure, she deserves a nomination. She's great. But she hardly gives the best female performance of the year IMO.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.