DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Poughkeepsie Tapes Trailer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/519074-poughkeepsie-tapes-trailer.html)

mhg83 12-03-07 07:05 PM

The Poughkeepsie Tapes Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdjFcoe2950

Looks like a Blair Witch style film.

JPRaup 12-03-07 07:23 PM

Interesting, five of my best friends from college live there.

JJE-187 01-22-11 01:59 AM

Re: The Poughkeepsie Tapes Trailer

It's been over 3 years since this trailer debuted. Is there any news of a possible release? Has this even been released anywhere in the world yet? This and All The Boys Love Mandy Lane seem to be lost films

Bob_Bobbson 01-22-11 02:35 AM

At this point, there probably won't be a release. It's like everyone just moved on and forgot about it. It's too bad, I was actually sort of interested in seeing it.

From the movie's wikipedia page.

The film's release was very limited and, while the trailer was mainstream, it wasn't shown in a wide release. As of 2010, a DVD is not available and is unlikely to ever be released. Netflix has a "Saved" spot on the queue for it, but no DVD date is announced. Many believe it has not been released because of its limited/poor run.

Troy Stiffler 01-22-11 09:07 AM

Looks alright. Not really buzzed to see it anymore. They definately let it go on too long.

Those guys ended up making Quarantine, which I thought was a lot of fun.

islandclaws 01-22-11 10:34 AM

I've heard now that MGM has restructured, there's a chance this might finally get a release. My friend has a copy and , though I haven't seen it yet, he told me it was good but the way they intentionally degraded all of the found footage kind of kills it. I'd expect a DTV release this fall is they don't go theatrical.

dsa_shea 01-22-11 11:38 AM

Just release the damn thing one way or the other and let people decide if it is any good or not. It is not making a dime locked up in someone's dungeon. This is starting to take on House of 1000 Corpses like status.

Matthew Chmiel 01-22-11 12:18 PM

Holy thread revival Batman. :lol: I remember seeing the trailer during The Mist on its opening weekend.

Unlike Paranormal Activity which sat on a shelf for years due to studio politics, The Poughkeepsie Tapes has the disadvantage because there are DVD screeners available to watch easily if you know where to look. A DVD screener of Paranormal Activity didn't leak until shortly into its wide theatrical release.

J. Farley 01-22-11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187 (Post 10601956)
This and All The Boys Love Mandy Lane seem to be lost films

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane has been out in other regions for years now and is even on Blu-ray. Not remotely lost.

The Black 01-22-11 07:19 PM

I've seen it.
The horrible acting ruins it to be honest.

However it's a great film to scare the sh*t out of your significant other :)

JJE-187 01-22-11 09:45 PM

I own the Mandy Lane Blu-Ray, i'm just saying it hasn't seen a US release yet either.

I just watched The Poughkeepsie Tapes and it wasn't what i expected. I was thinking a "found footage" horror flick akin to The Last Exorcism and The Blair Witch Project and instead I got a Faux HBO documentary about a serial killer. I actually enjoyed it and would give it a 3/5. Alot better than The Last Exorcism for sure and Poughkeepsie is the kinda the movie Catfish was marketed as. The trailer for this doesn't give you a good idea of what the movie really is. I watched it back-to-back with A Serbian Film (uncut) and Poughkeepsie is the better movie and I would say actually does a better job of shocking the audience then Serbian ever did. A Serbian Film was all gore and "hey look how far were gonna push the envelope" because were edgy. A Serbian Film gets a 2/5 from me

FantasticVSDoom 01-22-11 11:16 PM

Yeah I watched this at the Tribeca Film Fest a few years ago... I remember it having a lot of potential but pretty much missing the mark. There is some good shock factor to it now that I remember, so maybe I should re-visit it now.

DeputyDave 08-27-11 07:10 PM

I just watched this today and I really enjoyed it. I had low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. It is exactly as described above, a faux-HBO style documentary.

Osiris3657 09-24-12 07:29 PM

how the hell do I see this? It's not on netflix, you can't even buy a copy on Amazon.

Spoiler:
and it's not on any of the torrent sites I use

Matthew Chmiel 09-24-12 07:48 PM

Not to be that person, but it took me less than two seconds to find a screener copy of The Poughkeepsie Tapes using the Google off of many websites that should not be mentioned.

I wonder if MGM tried to sell this when getting rid of The Cabin in the Woods and Red Dawn, but nobody wanted to buy it.

It's still a shame that this is sitting on a shelf somewhere, yet a horror film like The Devil Inside saw a 2,000+ location count theatrical release.

sharkstank 09-25-12 04:35 AM

It is on youtube. And isn't very good imo

Why So Blu? 09-25-12 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 11398133)
Not to be that person, but it took me less than two seconds to find a screener copy of The Poughkeepsie Tapes using the Google off of many websites that should not be mentioned.

I wonder if MGM tried to sell this when getting rid of The Cabin in the Woods and Red Dawn, but nobody wanted to buy it.

It's still a shame that this is sitting on a shelf somewhere, yet a horror film like The Devil Inside saw a 2,000+ location count theatrical release.

The Devil Inside cost 1 million, and as awful as some made it out to be, made about 30 million. MGM probably didn't know how to market the film. It was made way before Cabin and Red Dawn were even conceived.

islandclaws 09-25-12 10:45 AM

MGM knew exactly how to market it since they had already been advertising it. I remember seeing a trailer for it in front of something years ago. If they'd stuck to what they were doing, it likely would've cleared $20m and put them in the black.

Why So Blu? 09-25-12 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 11398866)
MGM knew exactly how to market it since they had already been advertising it. I remember seeing a trailer for it in front of something years ago. If they'd stuck to what they were doing, it likely would've cleared $20m and put them in the black.

Really? I only heard about it like 2 years after Quarantine came out. Looks like they hedged their bets, because once people knew that they had remade a far superior movie (REC), no one would touch them. Hell, one of the brothers directed 'Devil' solo.

Crocker Jarmen 09-25-12 11:50 AM

Started watching it on YouTube but quit at the 10 minute mark, because of a part so stupid, watching the rest of this would clearly be a waste of time, because this is a movie made by people who thought putting the aftermentioned stupid part in their movie was a good decision.

Matthew Chmiel 09-25-12 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11398861)
The Devil Inside cost 1 million, and as awful as some made it out to be, made about 30 million. MGM probably didn't know how to market the film. It was made way before Cabin and Red Dawn were even conceived.

The budget on the The Poughkeepsie Tapes was also give-or-take around $1 million. The Devil Inside cost $2 million to produce, but cleared $100 million once international grosses are taken into consideration. To quote KillerCannibal:

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 11398866)

Winner. As I mentioned on 01-22-11, MGM started advertising the film with The Mist back in 2007 for a release in early 2008. MGM ended their theatrical distribution deal with The Weinstein Company shortly before the film's release putting the film on shelf until MGM started production on both The Cabin in the Woods and Red Dawn in 2009. With the runaway success of Paranormal Activity at the end of 2009, most thought MGM would've released it on February 5th, 2010 (the original release date for The Cabin in the Woods).

In June 2010, MGM declared bankruptcy and The Cabin in the Woods, The Poughkeepsie Tapes and Red Dawn were put on the shelf to rot.

If MGM would've just spared some additional cash and put The Poughkeepsie Tapes in theaters directly after Paranormal Activity, their bankruptcy issues might've been solved. Instead, the film sits on YouTube and a various amount of torrent sites with an official release never coming to fruition.

SuckaMC 07-19-14 09:16 AM

So, according to Bloody Disgusting, this has been quietly dumped onto DirecTV VOD. It's officially out now, I guess. May check it out.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/indie/3...tapes-now-vod/

d2cheer 07-23-14 03:43 PM

Its worth checking out but...it is not fantastic or really all that great by any means.

whotony 07-08-18 08:11 PM

Released on Blu-ray a few months ago.

Anyone buy it?

whotony 10-15-19 12:12 AM

Guess not.

anyway it’s free on Tubi and Filmrise