Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about the Director's Cut of Troy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-01-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always liked Troy. I must have seen it at least 20 times. Then last night, I finally watched the director's cut of it.

Of all the extended/Director's Cut movies I've seen Troy is the most different. It was nearly like watching a different movie.

Warning: there are spoilers below.

The movie opens with a dog sniffing around a battlefield and then presumably finding its owner. I thought it was mildly interesting, better than the original opening.

Then the movie is pretty much the same, aside from the scene when the boy wakes Achilles and we see Pitt's derriere and a great set of breasts behind him.

Moving on to the scene where Paris and Hector are introduced. There's a bit more dialogue between the brothers and Menelaous and then of course there's Helen. So, I never thought much of Diane Kruger really she's not all that hot to risk an entire nation on. Yet, here we get a glimpse of her spectacular rack and we can almost, kinda see where Paris was coming from. Most intriguing about the scenes with Paris and Hector, is an extra scene where Hector tells Paris that if he does anything to threaten the people of Troy he "will rip that pretty face from that pretty skull" Kinda cool dialogue, but it nearly killed the movie for me. How on earth could Paris steal Helen away after hearing that line? Seriously. His actions were hard enough to believe in the theatrical version.

I'm not gonna go through all the changes because there are a ton. The case says over 30 minutes and yes this movie is long.

The action scenes are more graphic which can be good or bad. It starts right from when Achilles' ship reaches the sand and one his warriors takes an arrow to the eye. Yup, it's gross. The scene when Achilles makes up to the temple of Apollo appears to be longer, there's more of him slashing through guys which makes the feat all the more impressive.

The scene where Hector and Achilles battle feels a bit more epic, a bit more important. I was disappointed that the fight wasn't longer nor did it have any different cuts or shots. But the score is different and it helps to elevate the fight.

Another huge difference is the sacking of Troy. In the theatrical version I also felt like it was tacked on at the end. Like this movie is about Achilles, and then there's a Trojan Horse and then the end. But in this version, it truly shows the extent of the burning of Troy. Civilian men are killed, women are raped and babies thrown to the side. People are shown been thrown out of houses and being hung. It's despicable like it should be.

Achilles' death is no different but it seems to be more tragic. His character is better developed in this version and you truly feel for him when he falls. Especially, when he falls to the most cowardly character to grace the silver screen. There's also a nice scene of the survivors of Troy getting out and looking back at Troy burning.

All in all, the director's cut of Troy is better. Yes, it's better but it's also very different. Watch it.
Old 12-02-07, 12:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Much better movie. Not as much of an improvement as Kingdom of Heaven, but still a much better movie. Too bad they couldn't edit out Orlando. I found him to be a drag on the whole movie.
Old 12-02-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 130 Posts
I still found the movie a bit dull... but the DC is better. I loved the increased color saturation, and I'm not going to argue with more sex and violence.

One thing I did not understand is the Planet of the Apes theme music playing over the Hector/Achilles fight. WTF? It's not like it was even the same composer...how they'd get the rights...and more importantly - why?
Old 12-02-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
One thing I did not understand is the Planet of the Apes theme music playing over the Hector/Achilles fight. WTF? It's not like it was even the same composer...how they'd get the rights...and more importantly - why?
Studios own all film scores, not the composers who write them. They own nothing. The director/producers have final word on where and when the music is heard regardless of the composer's input. That's why their music can be replaced, edited to hell, and never released on album.

As to why, who the hell knows.

I commented when the DVD first came out that the music in this DC is beyond atrocious. Personally, I loved Horner's score for the film and it annoyed the hell out of me to hear it dropped into a blender along with bits of "Planet Of The Apes", "Starship Troopers" and "Count Of Monte Cristo", and spread all over the film without any skill at all. The so-called new score for this version ruined it for me.

The only positive was that those wailing vocals were completely removed.
I managed to do that with my copy of the soundtrack album anyway.

And let's not be nice here - babies weren't thrown 'to the side', which implies they were tossed out of the way so their parents could be attacked, they were thrown into the fires, out of windows - to their deaths. That alone made this version more 'hardcore' than the theatrical version since a few graphic cuts and slices are pretty common now.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 12-02-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-02-07, 08:23 PM

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Ridley Scott = King of Director's Cuts
Old 12-02-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
And let's not be nice here - babies weren't thrown 'to the side', which implies they were tossed out of the way so their parents could be attacked, they were thrown into the fires, out of windows - to their deaths. That alone made this version more 'hardcore' than the theatrical version since a few graphic cuts and slices are pretty common now.
I didn't feel my post needed to be quite as graphic as the film. I actually liked the score I didn't feel it took away anything from the film. Perhaps because I didn't recognize all the film scores that it ripped off.
Old 12-02-07, 08:37 PM
Banned

I agree it felt like a much more complete experience. I actually had trouble following what the hell was going on many times during the theatrical cut of troy but in the dir. cut i thought it flowed much better. I really hate how studios pull this kinda shit..would'nt it be in their best interest to put out the far superior version of the film even if it runs long like this did. The 25 minutes can make a lot of difference to a movie like this. They didn't cut Titanic down and look how that turned out for the studios.
Old 12-02-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
Ridley Scott = King of Director's Cuts
I think James Cameron might have something to say about that.

Although I really do love the DC of Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 12-02-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,431 Posts
As for Troy, I liked the theatrical cut of the film and am looking forward to seeing the DC sometime in the near future. Right now I'm debating on whether I should buy that gigantic collector's edition DC (which looks awesome) or wait til I get an HD player and pick it up then.

Peterson is one of my favorite director's and rarely lets me down.
It's a little discouraging hearing about the music on the DC though. Hopefully it's not too distracting.
Old 12-02-07, 10:30 PM

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think James Cameron might have something to say about that.
No, he is KING OF THE WORLD!!!!
Old 12-03-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
The only positive was that those wailing vocals were completely removed.
Although I haven't seen the DC, reading about that alone makes me think this has to be a vastly improved score. For me, the completely overdone wailing voices in the score was the worst part of the theatrical cut.
Old 12-03-07, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
Although I haven't seen the DC, reading about that alone makes me think this has to be a vastly improved score.
You do hear wailing voices, but it's only part of funeral scenes where women are singing, rather, screeching, on screen. One of the women is the actual vocalist on both Horner's and Yared's scores, and it's actually Yared's version of the wailing that the women sing. It's 10 times worse than the wailing in all of Horner's score.
Old 12-03-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The scene where Hector and Achilles battle feels a bit more epic, a bit more important. I was disappointed that the fight wasn't longer nor did it have any different cuts or shots. But the score is different and it helps to elevate the fight.
This is the one part of the movie that I thought was pitch perfect, and the score fit it perfectly. I was a little disappointed to hear that they changed the score.....I know its hard to complain about this one scene when nearly all reviews praise the extended cut, but it was the one real perfect shining beacon of the OC.
Old 12-04-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
This is the one part of the movie that I thought was pitch perfect, and the score fit it perfectly. I was a little disappointed to hear that they changed the score.....I know its hard to complain about this one scene when nearly all reviews praise the extended cut, but it was the one real perfect shining beacon of the OC.
I totally agree. The DC makes the fight scene worse and distracting because of the Plane Of The Apes score. I couldn't concentrate on the scene anymore because I just kept thinking about talking apes.

Overall DC is a better cut but it's still not great. Worst part of the movie is still when the Trojans attack the shore and stop fighting because the cousin was killed. I thought the DC would have a better explanation but it's still the same reason.

Some of the added violent scenes became a comedy because they would show a person's face up close and it just didn't flow well.

DC: B-
TC: C-
Old 12-16-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First time seeing Troy. Didn't bother with the theatrical version, just the DC. The movie has potential, and I feel like it could be a lot better with a good score... The music just stuck out at me as being pretty dang poor... Braveheart, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven...while this movie may not be as good, they all have amazing scores IMHO.
Old 12-16-07, 06:02 PM

People ragged on the theatrical version because the music was "too loud", but if the score was turned down as it is in the director's cut, I doubt anyone would have complained much (though the name James Horner is synonymous with hatred to most moviegoers and film music nuts). The music in the theatrical version IS loud, but fits the on-screen action like a tight glove. It's not an 'epic' sound as much as it is an action-adventure sound. The idea behind the music is essentially dark, violent, but actually quite sad. I took away this sense of the music trying to say how much of a waste the Trojan war is as it went on.

Of course, I take every opportunity to talk about this stuff, seeing as I am a totally biased huge fan of this composer. At the same time, it's opened my eyes to lots of movies (like this one) I might not have seen but now have an interest in beyond the subject of music.
Old 12-16-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts
I'm still mixed on this one. I like some additions but dislike others. For example, I like the additional action with Ajax (even though a couple of snippets are clumsily edited back in) since it give greater weight to his fight with Hector. But some of the additional beach action actually reduced the impact of the violence for me. I always thought it was awesome when Achilles put a spear through a Trojan's face. That was badass. In the DC a Trojan does it first to one of Achilles' men and then Achilles responds in like manner. It just deflates Achilles' kill and makes him seem merely capable of a feat any man could accomplish.

I like how the score has been toned down (even though I loved the TC score) but I hate that they reduced Horner's score to about three themes. Honestly, there was no need to remove the great score heard during the sacking of Troy ("The Wooden Horse And The Sacking Of Troy") and replace it with the theme heard during the arrival of the Greek army to the gates of Troy ("The Greek Army And Its Defeat"). And the new score that replaces "Hector's Death" almost fits the scene until the very end where it seems the music editor forgot the stop the damn CD. But "Hector's Death" was a much better piece of score for that scene.

Call me crazy but I do believe the fight between Hector and Achilles is extended a bit. At least it doesn't seem to favor Achilles all the way as it does in the TC.

All in all, I believe there's a far superior version of the film somewhere between the TC and the DC.

Too bad there wasn't an alternate ending where Paris died (as he very well should have). In fact, the new footage of the survivors was great until you see Paris getting cozy with Helen. It's their damn fault that everyone died and that scene between them makes it seem as if we should think it was worth it. Fortunately that last shot of Rose Byrne almost saves the scene.
Old 05-01-11, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Let's talk about the Director's Cut of Troy

so I finally saw this. I've the TC of it...but I was really interested in the BD of it cuz it was for 9.99 at amazon. my friend got it cuz he likes it...

Now I remember why I disliked this film. Fucking clumsy storytelling and plot. Visually and Audio wise...it's great...just...it hurts my brain watching it. So many things are so wrong w/ the story and the characters. Much like before...I still like Bana...in fact...he's the one I liked the most. Hector is the most well rounded character in the film.