Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Midnight Meat Train

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Midnight Meat Train

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't think it's currently possible to post a link to your cable box's VOD options.

Fearnet on Demand is a cable On Demand channel (at least with Comcast and Brighthouse and presumably Time Warner), not a reference to a website.

http://www.fearnet.com/news/b13200_m...in_on_vod.html
Thanks, my mistake for some reason I was thinking I would need to watch it from the website!
Old 10-06-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
Not a bad horror flick. Sure, it has its flaws. But it's got some great gore, and the story and acting are pretty good. It sure deserved a hell of a lot better from the studio. Shameful!
MMT is not my typical film, but I just watched it about an hour ago (thanks Fear.net!) for the Hell of it. I agree with your take and add, it was much better than I expected it to be. The story flowed very well and the plotting opened up as believably as one could expect, dropping enough seeds along the way to keep the story interesting. If one isn't so concerned with the deeper "why's" then it definitely can be appreciated for its level of gore and atmospheric sets. It's also entertaining. Two particular fight sequences were both great!

The only real flaw I had was the reliance on heavy CGI use. Some of it was just plain stupid. But it's Kitamura and I was expecting it. Oh yeah, and the train leap was a bit far fetched.

Why Lion's Gate has run this one under the carpet is beyond me though. It's no less vicious or gratuitous than say, I don't know, Saw 2-5 ... Yeah, I don't get it either.
Old 10-11-08, 03:26 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
this movie deserved a better release. Really quite a good slasher horror with a twist

i enjoyed it and the gore set pieces were excellent
Old 10-11-08, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
When is this coming on DVD? I thought this was going to get a theatrical release, but obviously that isn't happening or it got extremely limited release.

I've seen alot of straight to DVD movies get better treatment than this.
Old 10-12-08, 11:57 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Caught this last night on Fearnet -- thought it was a pretty good genre flick. Gory as all hell.
Old 10-12-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Found out last night that a theater in San Francisco my friends and I go to for Midnight Movies/Foreign Films is showing this movie soon.

They showed the trailer before the premiere of "Eden Log" last night and the title of the film got a bunch of laughs from the audience

Can't wait to see the film though.
Old 10-24-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I finally got an HD box today from the local cable company so I finally got around to watching the flick.

I actually thought this was a fairly well made little flick, with the right marketing it could have done decently. It doesn't have a ton going on under the hood, and yet still has more than a majority of the empty brained crapshack genre pics we get.

Kitamura is an excellent fit for the genre, his visual style fits it like a glove. Hope he gets to make a few more english flicks along the line.

Movie also had a great sustained atmosphere to it, felt almost more like a survival horror game than a movie.

(I agree that it does fall apart a bit near the end, though.)

Last edited by RichC2; 10-24-08 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I finally got to see it this past weekend and would give it a solid "B".
Old 02-02-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Midnight Meat Train

Just saw this, and honestly... I don't blame LionsGate for not wasting money on a big theatrical release. Seriously, it was well made (technically) and I think the director has a good future ahead of him, but the movie itself was just kind of boring. I didn't care what was going to happen next. It was all just sort of "blah".

However, I still don't get the point of dumping it only dollar theaters. That allowed it to make even less money than it would have made. Makes no sense to me. I'm not sure how much it takes to produce 100 prints of a movie and ship it to theaters, but why not take that money and use it to give it a big promotional push for its dvd release?
Old 02-02-09, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess all the higher 'ratings' for this were from 'horror fans'..... just another 'see how gross we can make this...' movie. Initially, and even half way in, the story seemed promising but we were laughing at the silliness of it by the end. Alot of the 'why' was never resolved.
Old 02-02-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn
However, I still don't get the point of dumping it only dollar theaters. That allowed it to make even less money than it would have made. Makes no sense to me. I'm not sure how much it takes to produce 100 prints of a movie and ship it to theaters, but why not take that money and use it to give it a big promotional push for its dvd release?
Oftentimes a theatrical run is contractually obligated. That's why Idiocracy and Killshot played the tiniest number of theaters in the farthest-away places.
Old 02-02-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
Seriously, it was well made (technically) and I think the director has a good future ahead of him
You are aware that the director isn't exactly a rookie, right? He's directed multiple films including Versus, Azumi, Sky High. Alive kinda sucked but he directed a pretty enjoyable Godzilla film also.

This was his first American film. Not first film.
Old 02-02-09, 01:36 PM

Guess all the higher 'ratings' for this were from 'horror fans'..... just another 'see how gross we can make this...' movie.
Really? Coming from a 'horror fan' this movie wasn't in the least bit "gross" and is only worth seeing for Leslie Bibb. Even though she doesn't show boob.
Old 02-02-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
You are aware that the director isn't exactly a rookie, right? He's directed multiple films including Versus, Azumi, Sky High. Alive kinda sucked but he directed a pretty enjoyable Godzilla film also.

This was his first American film. Not first film.
I didn't say it was his first film. I said he has a bright future ahead of him. So does Steven Spielberg.
Old 02-02-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really, that was him? I loved Versus.... Is Sky High worth seeing? I saw at Best Buy a Steel Book of a movie that said "From the creator of Versus", I'll post the title if I think of it.
Old 02-02-09, 01:49 PM

I didn't say it was his first film. I said he has a bright future ahead of him. So does Steven Spielberg.
Ah, gotchya. Weird phrasing, I guess.

Is Sky High worth seeing?
I enjoyed it. Despite all its flaws. It's worthy of a rental at least.
Old 02-02-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Really, that was him? I loved Versus.... Is Sky High worth seeing? I saw at Best Buy a Steel Book of a movie that said "From the creator of Versus", I'll post the title if I think of it.
It was probably either Azumi or Death Trance. Death Trance is from the action choreographer of Versus and as such has Versus plastered on its cover as well.
Old 02-02-09, 03:22 PM
Banned

This would have made a good episode of Tales from the Crypt or Masters of Horror episode but as a feature it failed in most department. Stretched out way too long with a good payoff that was too little too late.
Old 02-02-09, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
It was probably either Azumi or Death Trance. Death Trance is from the action choreographer of Versus and as such has Versus plastered on its cover as well.
It was most likely Death Trance. Since I know for a fact they have released a SteelBook version of that since I own it. But I'm way too fucking lazy to go find and see what the quote on the front is. As far as I know Azumi hasn't been released in a SteelBook (in the states)..
Old 02-03-09, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, it was Death Trance. I'll rent that and Sky High and purchase later if I like them.

I really wanted to like Midnight Meat Train the entire way through but it lost me when the ending came out of waaaaaay left field. I did happen to see it twice so I managed to pick up a few more clues that makes the ending a bit stronger, but everyone else who watched it with me felt the ending took away most of it's promise.
Old 02-09-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched this today and really liked it...creepy as hell and the gore/kills were pretty damn good IMO. I thought it would have been better without the sci-fi element but Cooper and Jones really go for it and I thought it was fairly well made. Not the greatest thing ever but I was entertained...and the Ted Raimi scene, despite being slightly cartoonish, was fucking sweet.
Old 02-10-09, 11:32 PM

Amazing movie! I'm the biggest horror movie and i watch good and bad horror movies and this is one of the best I have seen in years. Yes the cgi is a tad overkill if you want to nitpick but it worked. Great acting, great suspense, great gore, solid story (horror movies aren't supposed to be as much about the story as people expect). Highly recommended!

....and yea the ending was a little out of left field but it kind of made sense and was nowhere as crazy as High Tensions ending

Last edited by Cedrock; 02-10-09 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedrock
(horror movies aren't supposed to be as much about the story as people expect)
The Thing would like to talk to you...
Old 08-01-10, 11:58 PM

Finally got to watch this (I was one of those who wanted to see it when the trailer was in the theaters), and I'd have to agree with most, it was a pretty great looking movie that tried pretty hard, but fell a little short. I think it would sell better now than it would have when it was originally going to come out with Bradley Cooper being a bigger star. I think I'll eventually buy it.