DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Black Christmas Remake - Like it?, Love it?, or Hate it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/518304-black-christmas-remake-like-love-hate.html)

Rival11 11-25-07 10:01 PM

Black Christmas Remake - Like it?, Love it?, or Hate it?

Don't worry, no poll here ;) I'm guessing most of you die hards of the original could not stand this flick but I personally loved it. It stays pretty nasty throughout and goes pretty damn over the top.

I started this thread because of a family gathering I was at tonight. pretty much the whole night I had to suffer through goofy Christmas movies playing in the background (I'm talking the wrost of the worst here with the worst starring Tim Meadows (from SNL - I think he was a ghost) trying to bring a prissy ritz couple back together - Man, I wanted to puke.

I first brought up the original Black Christmas and to my suprise (def. a suprise) some of my family members really like it - I mentioned this remake and they never knew it was remade (not so suprising).

Long story short, I thought the movie was effective in the shock, gore, & laugh department but thought it could have been shorter and should have had a much better ending
Spoiler:
As opposed to the goofy tree impalement we get but still, it made me laugh as well because of how predictable it was
I was just satisfied after watching it and it made me want to watch it again....which I haven't yet but will be soon.

Your thoughts?

Adam Tyner 11-25-07 10:56 PM

I dug it too.

Rival11 11-25-07 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Ah yes, Mr. Tyner - please forgive me as I did mean to mention your review in my original post (honestly!!) - I was surpised to see a DVD Talk reviewer give this one praise....only because of how sacred people hold the original.

Seantn 11-26-07 12:32 AM

I like the original - but I would have been open to a good remake, so that didn't affect my judgement. I thought that the remake was a horrible piece of crap. The violence didn't strike me as "nasty", it struck me as "trying too hard". The script was sloppy (and a victim of the usual Weinstein re-editing), the acting bad (which might be sort of forgivable if the movie was any fun at all), the new plot elements un-interesting.... I really did not like this movie.

DarthVong 11-26-07 02:40 AM

It was just ok. I liked the idea of a remake for this film. If they wouldn't have went so over the top with it it could have been better then the original.
Don't get me wrong the original is a classic, but it is dated.

EdTheRipper 11-26-07 02:45 AM

I thought it was alright.

riotinmyskull 11-26-07 05:06 AM

i'm a fan of the original but i actually liked the remake except for the whole backstory of the killer. you have to admit it probably has the best collection of hot girls in a horror movie in years.

HE Pennypacker 11-26-07 08:20 AM

Dreadful from beginning to end. Hated every minute of it. As I said elsewhere, it ranks up there with Hostel 2 as my most hated horror films in recent memory.

DRG 11-26-07 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'm a fan of the original but i actually liked the remake except for the whole backstory of the killer. you have to admit it probably has the best collection of hot girls in a horror movie in years.

I agree with everything in your post. I hated the whole cheesy backstory bits and wished the killer would've either been
Spoiler:
anonymous or had been someone in the group
. But I liked the sense of Christmas abandonment the film built, and thought the kills were loaded with enough fun creativity the movie could have been Friday the 25th: Jason Takes Christmas.

Giles 11-26-07 09:01 AM

I have to say it surprised me, I thought I'd really not like it, but it was quite enjoyable actually.

starseed1981 11-26-07 09:59 AM

Absolutley positivley one of the worst movies I've seen in recent years. I love the making of documentary where even the director admits not to be excited by making the movie.

kilcher 11-26-07 10:26 AM

Worst "horror" movie ever.

Perkinsun Dzees 11-26-07 02:39 PM

http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant...50/him2087.gif

toxie321 11-26-07 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

Haha I was gonna put the exact same picture!

Fincher Fan 11-27-07 11:47 PM

Absolute rubbish.

Ghostface180 11-27-07 11:51 PM

Hated it except for the gore and girls

MartinBlank 11-28-07 03:02 PM

90 minutes of your life that you'll NEVER get back.

LiquidSky 11-28-07 04:24 PM

It was a piece of shit.

matome 11-28-07 06:43 PM

Liked them both.