Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your preferred cut of Close Encounters?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What’s your preferred cut of Close Encounters?
The Original Theatrical Version
48.65%
The Special Edition
8.11%
The Director’s Cut
43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-07, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the release of the 30th Anniversary Edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind on DVD, I couldn’t help but begin to wonder which version of the film most people prefer. So, I thought I would start a poll to at least see what DVDTalk members prefer.

Of course, feel free to post and discuss why you prefer one cut over the others.

Last edited by Commander Dan; 11-18-07 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I enjoyed it the most the first time I saw it opening day so that's my preferred cut, but I don't know that I've seen that cut in a long long time so who knows if I'd still like it.

I wasn't planning on picking the new release up since I didn't know it included the original cut, but now I probably will.

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-19-07 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-19-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 312 Likes on 254 Posts
Frankly, I don't know the movie well enough to know the differences.

I like the movie, but not enough to keep sitting through it to watch the different versions.

Is there a review or listing somewhere detailing the differences?
Old 11-19-07, 12:51 AM

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
love the people who reply "I don't know" why even reply?
Old 11-19-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
love the people who reply "I don't know" why even reply?
Maybe trying to learn something from those who do have more information/knowledge of the subject.
Old 11-19-07, 01:24 AM

If you don't care enough to see the different versions, you're not who this thread is intended for. But carry on.
Old 11-19-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never seen the original until now and the DC was my fav but the original was interesting to see some of the alt scenes and takes. The Special edition was okay but the ending was definitely better in the original / DC.
Old 11-19-07, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
I have never seen the original until now and the DC was my fav but the original was interesting to see some of the alt scenes and takes. The Special edition was okay but the ending was definitely better in the original / DC.
My sentiments exactly. Making the alien ship more mysterious sounds like a better choice.
Old 11-19-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only watch the DC version so far, but I really liked it. Nice sense of wonder with this flick...
Old 11-19-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw it on opening day in 1977. So the original version is the one I prefer. As a young kid it had a huge impact on me.
Old 11-19-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't care enough to see the different versions, you're not who this thread is intended for. But carry on.
I saw the original version back in '77, and have seen the SE 3 or 4 times since then. But I just don't remember what the specific differences are. So sue me for asking.
Old 11-19-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our new mod?
Old 11-19-07, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Our new mod?
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6NGDS5pI9Y4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6NGDS5pI9Y4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Old 11-19-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loved the movie as a kid, but as an adult it puts me to sleep.

I guess that means theatrical version...though I don't know if I would like that today either.
Old 11-22-07, 08:04 PM

Prior to getting the 30th Anniversary DVD, I would have thought that my preferred cut was the Director's Cut, but after checking out the Theatrical Edition, I do indeed believe that cut is "paced" a bit better. I never really cared for the Special "inside the mother-ship" Edition.

I'm somewhat surprised more people haven't voted in my poll...
Old 11-22-07, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Loved the movie as a kid, but as an adult it puts me to sleep.

I guess that means theatrical version...though I don't know if I would like that today either.
that probably just means you're boring now
Old 11-26-07, 10:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I saw it on opening day in 1977. So the original version is the one I prefer. As a young kid it had a huge impact on me.
same here,

even though I picked the Director's Cut - I have to go with the scene and deleted line that wasn't included in the DC of the film - "They can fly rings around the moon, but we're light years ahead of them with the highways"
Old 11-28-07, 09:22 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if I'm wrong:

The original theatrical version, which I saw twice when it came out, uses the musical theme "When you Wish Upon a Star" in the end credits, which made the whole audience go "Awwwww...". This seems to have disappeared from subsequent versions. Did Disney up its price or did John Williams decide not to share his residuals? Or is this part of the Disney-Dreamworks quarrel?

The Special Edition with the interior view of the ship is a bit much.

I own the Director's Cut, which is fine with me, except for the above-mentioned musical omission and the fact that the crossing of the Red Sea scenes from the Ten Commandments (1955) on TV have different music than the original film, probably for copyright reasons.

Now, when I watch this film, all I can think of is how the two main families depicted spend most of their time eating, spilling food on the floor and on themselves, going to the bathroom, banging doors, speaking in grunts, arguing, screaming at the top of their lungs, exhibiting antisocial behaviour, destroying their house and living in a total pigsty (much like the characters in E.T., actually). Did Spielberg want to establish a parallel with the "Dawn of Man" sequence from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Last edited by baracine; 11-28-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-28-07, 09:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
Correct me if I'm wrong:

The original theatrical version, which I saw twice when it came out, uses the musical theme "When you Wish Upon a Star" in the end credits, which made the whole audience go "Awwwww...". This seems to have disappeared from subsequent versions. Did Disney up its price or did John Williams decide not to share his residuals? Or is this part of the Disney-Dreamworks quarrel?

The Special Edition with the interior view of the ship is a bit much.

I own the Director's Cut, which is fine with me, except for the above-mentioned musical omission and the fact that the crossing of the Red Sea scenes from the Ten Commandments (1955) on TV have different music than the original film, probably for copyright reasons.

Now, when I watch this film, all I can think of is how the two main families depicted spend most of their time eating, spilling food on the floor and on themselves, going to the bathroom, arguing, screaming at the top of their lungs, exhibiting antisocial behaviour, destroying their house and living in a total pigsty (much like the characters in E.T., actually). It's actually hard to watch...
in regards to the missing 'When You Wish Upon A Star' music cue - I miss it too.

as for the depiction of Roy's family and subsequent 'alien'nation/detachment, I know that in the documentary Spielberg mentions that he - now as a parent, recalls that CE3K and specifically Roy, was very naive and selfish - in other words, even though the whole point and plot of CE3K was a true one off plot device for Spielberg - he finds many faults and personal decisions as a director to the character of Roy, that he wouldn't approve of now.
Old 11-28-07, 10:01 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
the depiction of Roy's family
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sdoA3AJ6zGE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sdoA3AJ6zGE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-28-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

that probably just means you're boring now

Clearly you haven't met me
You could describe me in lots of pejorative ways but boring would probably not be one of them.
Old 09-26-17, 10:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 657 Likes on 564 Posts
Which version of Close Encounters do you watch?

So, i think i only know the theatrical. seen it many moons ago. are the other versions better? good? terrible? which version do you like and watch most?

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-26-17 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 823 Posts
Re: What's your preferred cut of Close Encounters?

I hadn't watched in years so not too long g ago I got the urge to watch it again. I hadn't seen the Special Edition probably since not long after it came out so input that one in.

Seeing the inside of the ship really doesn't ruin anything for me, since Roy's journey to the site was the whole point and then the idea of where do they take him afterwards is still unknown.

I guess I can't answer. All 3 cuts are worthy interpretations of the story.
Old 09-27-17, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 198 Likes on 148 Posts

Saw it when it opened. Watched it on commercial broadcast TV once a few years later. Never saw any other versions. Have no real interest in seeing it again, no matter what the version.
Old 09-27-17, 08:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I loved the old cav criterion laser disc where you could take the first two cuts ( the directors wasn't out yet) and make your own version of the movie