Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office Thread - 11.16.2007 - 11.18.2007 - 3D Edition.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office Thread - 11.16.2007 - 11.18.2007 - 3D Edition.

Old 11-19-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I think NO Country for Old Men is a lock for a Best Picture Nomination but i really don't see American Gangster getting any nominations except for possibly Best Supporting Actress Nom. for Ruby Dee.
I think The Departed has paved the way for AG. They are similar. Both are popular at the box office, both have big time directors and A-list leads. I also think Atonement is probably a lock. That is likely the big British rep this year. I believe the last 2 spots could go to these: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, There Will Be Blood, Juno, Into the Wild, Michael Clayton, Gone Baby Gone, Charlie Wilson's War (early bad buzz?).

Unfortunately, I think Zodiac will be left out, but I'm hoping for a Fincher directing nod and a supporting for Downey, Jr.
Old 11-19-07, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Yeah i would love to see Zodiac get some love during award season as well
My Guess for Best Picture Noms.
1. No Country For Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Atonement
4. Sweeny Todd
5. Zodiac (long shot)
Old 11-19-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 20% of the screens running BEOWULF are screening it in 3-D, yet those 20% of 3-D screens accounted for 40% of the total box office take over the weekend.

This follows the same pattern as the previous Real D offerings; in that the 3-D versions of the movies are selling 2-3 times the tickets of the flat showings.

Hollywood is listening, which is why there are two dozen 3-D feature films in various stages of production and devolpment.
Old 11-19-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think The Departed has paved the way for AG. They are similar. Both are popular at the box office, both have big time directors and A-list leads.
I look at it differently. After Departed won big last year, will the Academy really show American Gangster a lot of love this year, especially with it being a vastly inferior movie to Departed?
Old 11-19-07, 06:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I look at it differently. After Departed won big last year, will the Academy really show American Gangster a lot of love this year, especially with it being a vastly inferior movie to Departed?
I think it'll get a nomination.
Old 11-20-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is the weekly b.o. thread, right? It seems like I stumbled into a fantasy Oscar race thread...

Beowulf did about what I would have expected considering it just didn't look that good. A couple people I know who saw it said it just gave them a headache. I can't wait to see NCfOM this week. I was going to see it at the local indie theater, but I'd rather wait and see it on a huge screen at the local megaplex.