Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey Hollywood...we don't want your Anti-War/Anti-US films

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-14-07, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lions for Lambs aka "Lementing for Liberals"
Opened Nov 9th staring Redford, Cruise, Streep
Studio = MGM / United Artist
RottenTomatoes.com rating = 26%
BoxOfficeMojo.com Total Gross = 6.7 million

Rendition aka "All Muslims must naturally be terrorist and therefore tortured"
Opened Sept 14th staring Reese Witherspoon, Jake Gyllenhaal
Studio = New Line Cinema
RottenTomatoes.com rating = 45%
BoxOfficeMojo.com Total Gross = 9.6 million

In the Valley of Elah aka "U.S. Soldiers are murdering thugs"
Opened Oct 19th staring Tommie Lee Jones, Charlize Theron
Studio = Warner (Independent)
RottenTomatoes.com rating = 69%
BoxOfficeMojo.com Total Gross = 6.7 million

Redacted aka "U.S. Soldiers are murdering thugs and Rapists, The Sequel"
Opened Nov 16th staring Izzy Diaz, Daniel Stewart Sherman
Studio = Magnolia Pictures
RottenTomatoes.com rating = 62%
BoxOfficeMojo.com Total Gross = TBD

Hopefully after Redacted grosses less then 10 million nationwide too then maybe Hollywood will wake up.. Of course they won't stop hating this country or the military but they do respond to money. Maybe 2008 will be a better movie year. Oh and by the way, don't make the assumption that just because the libs tell you that every country in the world hates the U.S. too, these movies didn't do any better worldwide. Although I didn't bother to list them, the worldwide release gross sucked big time too. I'm sure all of the above movies will be a net loss once all the numbers come in, even after DVD sales.
Old 11-14-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your right all those libs are the problem, they hate America, they should stop spreading their propaganda. At least Republicans are true to the American spirit, they could never be tempted by things like money or power. They have the troops best interests in mind. If only they ran the film industry,
Old 11-14-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe they are just simply not good films. Other war films have made money - Jarhead, for example.

And it still pisses me off that people equate being anti-war with being anti-US.

Living abroad, I will be the first person to tell you that other countries don't hate the US - they hate the small-minded people of the US who think that the US is the only country in the world, the people who think only of themselves with no concern for the rest of the world, those who believe that the US is living in the best way possible and to live differently is incorrect.

And this doesn't just apply to the US. In the US, we dislike foreigners who claim that we are living incorrectly for the exact same reason. It's a two way street, not a one way. The best thing is to realize that it's fine to go both ways - I may disagree with the way that you choose to live your life, but I'm also going to be the first person to defend your rights to live the way you want and also to defend my rights to hold my opinion, whatever it may be.

-ringding-
Old 11-14-07, 09:36 AM

This thread is probably in the wrong forum.

I'll tell you what offends me more though are the creative changes to G.I. Joe so they can market it overseas, or replacing "the American way" with "all that stuff" in Superman Returns. Plus people actually being offended that Spidey is shown in front of an American flag in Spider-Man 3(there was plenty to be offended by in that movie, but not that scene).
Old 11-14-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I suppose that has nothing to do with the fact that those are badly made movies. Nope. Nothing at all. Anti-War movies have never done well at the box office, after all....

(nope, can't say it with a straight face)
Old 11-14-07, 09:42 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
This thread is probably in the wrong forum.
No, it needs to stay just where it is.
Old 11-14-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I guess I'd be considered a liberal, and the only thing I hate more than America are those movies...

Just like any other war and the films depicting them, the good ones don't get made after the scuffle it's about is over. We should expect a good Iraq movie when we're done over there, so don't expect one, ever.
Old 11-14-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How many Hollywood movies about still-current events have been any good, period?
Old 11-14-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe "those movies" are suffering from a general American malaise over the Iraq war. I've read all the horrific articles, and watched the video in the media. It's depressing and I don't need a movie to give me information I have. The same was true for United 93 and WTC. After the Iraq war and a lot of time for healing, I think the country will be ready to examine what is currently happening through film. Until then, these movies pale against reality.
Old 11-14-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jesus Christ... Why does anti-war (and not even EVERY war, Just THIS ONE launched on a lie) always seem to equate anti-american and anti-military to the fly-over and red states? Find me one liberal today who is spitting on troops, calling them "Baby-killer" or saying "Death to America." It's a straw man attack, and that kind of small-minded hyperbole cheapens the debate and weakens your argument.

We love America, dude. That's why we are so passionate when we see it being hijacked by crazy religious zealots, prejudicial neanderthals and the military-industrial-complex.

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
-Mark Twain

-Doc
Old 11-14-07, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Duality
It's depressing and I don't need a movie to give me information I have. The same was true for United 93 and WTC.
I'll agree with that first part but United 93 made 31m/44m domestic /foreign respectively. WTC grossed 70m/92m domestic/foreign. Those are pretty respectable numbers.

And by the way "In the Valley of Elah" had a decent RT rating of 69% but sill grossed less than $9 million worldwide so it may not have anything to do with being a badly made movie. How do you folks define badly made movie anyway? Are you judging the filming, writing, acting quality or the simply the fact that no one cares to see the movie because they reject the content, premise, and the message.
Old 11-14-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jamers
United 93 made 31m/44m domestic /foreign respectively. WTC grossed 70m/92m domestic/foreign. Those are pretty respectable numbers.
United 93 had a budget of $15,000,000+ and was in wide release. $31,000,000 under those circumstances is a box office bomb. WTC fared even worse. It had a budget of $65,000,000+ and considering marketing fees it failed to break even. Both films are failures on the level of the films you list in your original post.
Old 11-14-07, 10:52 AM

The films listed in/by the OP are all "prestige" films, released not to make money, but rather, to compete for and win awards, and to give the studious a veneer of "quality."
Old 11-14-07, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Jesus Christ... Why does anti-war (and not even EVERY war, Just THIS ONE launched on a lie) always seem to equate anti-american and anti-military to the fly-over and red states? Find me one liberal today who is spitting on troops, calling them "Baby-killer" or saying "Death to America." It's a straw man attack, and that kind of small-minded hyperbole cheapens the debate and weakens your argument.

-Doc
Well in fairness, Redacted does sound like it spits in the face of the troops. I haven't seen it yet, but it's supposed to air on HDNet Movies soon, so I'll give it a look and see if the all the negative buzz is warranted.

And Lions For Lambs is being reported by a lot people(including libs) as nothing more than propaganda.
Old 11-14-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Great post - I agree. Even The Kingdom as I understand it, tried to equate us with terrorists.
Old 11-14-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Great post - I agree. Even The Kingdom as I understand it, tried to equate us with terrorists.
[Chasing Amy]But isn't that true?[/Chasing Amy]
Old 11-14-07, 11:06 AM

I didn't know Redacted was directed by de Palma. Now I'll make a point of seeing it. Thanks, Jamers!
Old 11-14-07, 11:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Remember, if you don't support the war and George W. Bush unconditionally, you hate America, hate the troops, and are a terrorist sympathizer. And a traitor. And probably a ***.
Old 11-14-07, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver

We love America, dude. That's why we are so passionate when we see it being hijacked by crazy religious zealots, prejudicial neanderthals and the military-industrial-complex.

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
-Mark Twain

-Doc
The lie, WMD's: All intel information said there were WMD's there. Now when America went in and found none America should have left. One month tops should have been America's stay in Iraq.

One liberal: When asked "Do you want America to win the war on terror" to Rosie O'Donnel and David Letterman they would not answer the question.
If they said yes then they look bad to the liberals and if they said no they look bad to the conservatives.

Crazy religious zealots: The majority of America seems to be conservative. Or how else could G. Bush have been re-elected and both houses been republican except until the last election. Which the republicans should have been thrown out! And why if so many Hollywood liberals always put down FoxNews is it number 1 in ratings.

The big problem that liberals have is that they are anti-God.
And by that I mean always against prayer in school, removing God from currancy, 10 commandments from government buildings, and removing Christmas decorations from government buildings. And for gay marriage.
About the only religion liberals don't have a problem with is the Muslium religion. They can as the ACLU has proven time and time again do as they wish.
Old 11-14-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In the Valley of Elah is a pretty good film, Rendition isn't really bad. Lions for Lambs is dreadful. (All the preceding, my opinion, of course.) And last year, United 93 didn't do too well at the box office in spite of its excellence. I think it's more that people just aren't ready to see films about the war or 9/11 yet than that the films all stink because they don't.

For those of us who lived during the Vietnam War, we remember that few movies were made about it until some years later. Then, films such as The Deer Hunter and Coming Home did well. Still later, there were Platoon and Full Metal Jacket. They were also better films than the current crop and benefited from some years of reflection.
Old 11-14-07, 11:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I saw that wm lopez had replied, so I opened the thread again. After which I read movielib's post, thinking it was written by wm lopez.

My face (until I realized what was happening):
Old 11-14-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
The lie, WMD's: All intel information said there were WMD's there. Now when America went in and found none America should have left. One month tops should have been America's stay in Iraq.

One liberal: When asked "Do you want America to win the war on terror" to Rosie O'Donnel and David Letterman they would not answer the question.
If they said yes then they look bad to the liberals and if they said no they look bad to the conservatives.

Crazy religious zealots: The majority of America seems to be conservative. Or how else could G. Bush have been re-elected and both houses been republican except until the last election. Which the republicans should have been thrown out! And why if so many Hollywood liberals always put down FoxNews is it number 1 in ratings.

The big problem that liberals have is that they are anti-God.
And by that I mean always against prayer in school, removing God from currancy, 10 commandments from government buildings, and removing Christmas decorations from government buildings. And for gay marriage.
About the only religion liberals don't have a problem with is the Muslium religion. They can as the ACLU has proven time and time again do as they wish.
What the heck does this have to do with the original post?
Old 11-14-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by jessecrx
[Chasing Amy]But isn't that true?[/Chasing Amy]
You believe our troops and those who willingly blow themselves up (and as many woman and children with them) are equal?

I rest my case.
Old 11-14-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
In the Valley of Elah is a pretty good film, Rendition isn't really bad. Lions for Lambs is dreadful. (All the preceding, my opinion, of course.) And last year, United 93 didn't do too well at the box office in spite of its excellence. I think it's more that people just aren't ready to see films about the war or 9/11 yet than that the films all stink because they don't.

For those of us who lived during the Vietnam War, we remember that few movies were made about it until some years later. Then, films such as The Deer Hunter and Coming Home did well. Still later, there were Platoon and Full Metal Jacket. They were also better films than the current crop and benefited from some years of reflection.
I'd say Hollywood should give America five to ten years after the end of the Iraq war before flooding theaters (again) with war movies. I agree with your Vietnam analogy.
Old 11-14-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Remember, if you don't support the war and George W. Bush unconditionally, you hate America, hate the troops, and are a terrorist sympathizer. And a traitor. And probably a ***.
That’s pretty much the way (not me) a lot of people think.

I’m not American and I’ll probably get remarks like, “You know nothing”, but even if you don’t agree with the war in Iraq or with George W. Bush, I think everyone should support the troops.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.