Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MAX PAYNE: [Video Game] The Movie -2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Mark Wahlberg Is "Max Payne"

Mark Wahlberg has signed on for 20th Century Fox's "Max Payne," a live-action adaptation of the bestselling Rockstar video game reports the trades.

Wahlberg is negotiating to play the titular cop who is haunted by the tragic loss of his family and has little regard for rules as he investigates a series of mysterious murders.

He finds himself up against an adversary bent on destroying Max and the streets he protects. Beau Thorne penned the script.

Shooting will begin early next year under the helm of John Moore ("Behind Enemy Lines," "The Omen").

DARKHORIZONS.com
Old 11-13-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dead franchise.
Old 11-13-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Over the top Noir? I'm soooo there.
Old 11-13-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
He fits the look of Payne in the games. I love the games, especially the story telling. Not sure how it'll translate, since part of the appeal was the artwork and the comic panels, not to mention the Bullet Time stuff.
Old 11-13-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really don't see Whalberg as Payne, but then again I haven't played the games in years so I barely remember if that's accurate. Regardless, it should be fun!
Old 11-13-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I really don't see Whalberg as Payne, but then again I haven't played the games in years so I barely remember if that's accurate. Regardless, it should be fun!
Couldn't be any worse than Olyphant as Hitman.

Wonder if this movie will use Bullet-Time for some of the action.
Old 11-13-07, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Wonder if this movie will use Bullet-Time for some of the action.
It would have to in order to be a "true" Max Payne film.

The Max Payne series is one of my favorite game series, but I really am not looking that forward to this movie. Most game-to-movie adaptions suck and are unfaithful to the source material.
Old 11-14-07, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by taffer
The Max Payne series is one of my favorite game series, but I really am not looking that forward to this movie. Most game-to-movie adaptions suck and are unfaithful to the source material.
++

I don't see Marky Mark as Max Payne.
Old 11-14-07, 08:58 AM

This movie had to be made 5 or 6 years ago in a manner reminding Sin City. That's what I've been thinking playing at that time. There were no Sin City then, but I imagined Max Payne film just like that.
Old 11-14-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I always pictured David Boreanaz as Max Payne.
Old 11-14-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
As much as I'd hate to admit it, I do see a striking resemblance.
Old 11-14-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
They should have John Woo direct this one.
Old 11-14-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by clappj
They should have John Woo direct this one.
Yeah, no kidding. The game is one big homage to John Woo. So if the movie doesn't capture that spirit of the game, it's basically going to be pointless.
Old 11-14-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
I love Angel, I love Max Payne, but I just don't see that at all...
Old 11-14-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
A bit late for this but Wahlberg is a great choice.
Old 11-14-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 11-15-07, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I love Angel, I love Max Payne, but I just don't see that at all...
best i could do on short notice, back when i was playing this game obsessively, whenever the load screen would come up, i always thought of David. It is the forehead i think.

http://www.infinity.no/images/Max_Pa...c_Novel_01.jpg

http://www.the-planets.com/star-biog...-Biography.jpg

Last edited by Unclejosh; 11-15-07 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-10-08, 11:30 AM

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/za...,1536572.story

'That '70s Show' Star Inflicts 'Max Payne'

Mila Kunis joins Mark Wahlberg in video game adaptation
March 10, 2008

Mila Kunis

Mila Kunis is set to star opposite Mark Wahlberg in 20th Century Fox's big screen version of the popular video game "Max Payne."

Directed by John Moore and adapted from the popular Rockstar title, "Max Payne" focuses on a former NYPD detective (Wahlberg) who goes on a mission of revenge against the drug dealers and mobsters responsible for the death of his wife and child.

According to Variety, Kunis will play an assassin who joins forces with Max to avenge the death of her sister.

Beau Thorne scripted the film.

The 24-year-old actress is best known for her long run as Jackie Burkhart on FOX's "The '70s Show." She can also currently be heard as Meg on the network's "Family Guy."

On the big screen, Kunis has been seen in "Get Over It" and "Moving McAllister." She's also one of the stars of the upcoming comedy "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," which opens on April 18.

Chris
Old 03-10-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First look at Marky Mark as Max Payne at DarkZero:

Shooting has just started of the film adaptation of Max Payne, and a first look at the movie's main character is now available. As usual we are not too excited about the film, as every recent game to film translation has left us sick to our very stomachs, but with some people of quality partaking in the project it has a chance of impressing.

Mark Wahlberg will take the roll of Max Payne, and although he does not look much like the character I am sure we could have been stuck with much worse. Better news comes from the fact that John Moore will be directing. He did not do that bad with his effort in Behind Enemy Lines - although Flight of the Phoenix was less impressive. There is a bit more bad news though, as recent reports hint that the film is trying to achieve PG-13 rating, and we just can't see Max's character been portrayed correctly under the confines of that rating.

It is currently unknown if the movie with keep the heavy film noir and slow-motion scenes of the game intact, or if it will instead adopt it's own approach. However, it is not scheduled to be released until sometime in 2009 so we still have loads of time to find out, and then complain if necessary.
http://darkzero.co.uk/v4/games/news/...g-as-max-payne
Old 03-10-08, 12:10 PM
Banned

If Marky Mark can get past the goddamn hotel fire, He will be doing better than me. And I loved that goddamn game. Damn fire!!! I woulda skipped that part if I could.
Old 03-10-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pg-13, a female assasin/love interest, Mark Wahlberg.

Why not call Uwe Boll or Paul Anderson? At least you'll get some crooked tax rebate when the thing bombs.
Old 03-10-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A PG-13 rating on a cop-getting-revenge movie? With Mark Wahlberg, who was perfect for this after his foul-mouthed greatness in The Departed?

Even if it wasn't fire-starting, it seems no one learned Stallone's lesson with Rambo that action movies cannot be restrained.

If this was 20 years ago, this would be a full-on assaulting hard R bordering on X with Joel Silver producing and John McTiernan directing, with Bruce Willis or Kurt Russell in the lead role.

But this is a time where horror movies are weighed down for teenagers and a Die Hard movie gets a PG-13, so this is all too understandable.

I can see P.T. Anderson and/or Martin Scorsese reading this thread right now thinking, "Maybe I should make that sequel to [Boogie Nights or The Departed, whichever]."

EDIT: Was Shane Black unavailable to do this? Remember, John Moore is the studio-slave hack who was programmed to remake The Omen.
Old 03-11-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan

That picture from the game always cracks me up. Its as if the character has just smelt the worst fart in the world.

Well i for one loved the game and think that Mark Whalberg might be ok. The only problem for me is his voice. In the game Max has a depp guff voice whilst Marky Marks alway sounds like he has just been kicked in the nuts its so squeeky. And as for that 70's show bird playing Mona Sax.....thats just terrible. In the game Mona was more like Monica Bellucci without the accent (shame she didn't do this instead of Shoot Em Up).
Old 03-17-08, 10:19 PM

great another pg 13 movie which shoulda been R. I wonder if they will release an unrated dvd with cgi blood added in.
Old 03-17-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 89981
great another pg 13 movie which shoulda been R. I wonder if they will release an unrated dvd with cgi blood added in.
and a few Mila Kunis nude scenes!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.