DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies you thought weren't bad when you first saw them, but later learned to love the (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/516831-movies-you-thought-werent-bad-when-you-first-saw-them-but-later-learned-love.html)

Superboy 11-09-07 08:56 PM

Movies you thought weren't bad when you first saw them, but later learned to love the

Not necessarily another thread about movies you hated or didn't like...but rather, simply felt tepid about upon your first viewing.

My movie: Minority Report

I walked into the theater with big expectations but felt sort of tepid upon walking out. I felt like some of the action scenes were too slapstick and boring. The plot was a headache, and felt unresolved until the end.

However, after watching it on DVD I came to love it. I really enjoyed how well realized this future world was, because it went against so many typical sci-fi conventions. There are still poor people and slums, unlike other movies where everything is apparently wiped clean and they start over from scratch. There's even old cars rotting around here and there. I love how no one says "This is REAL ____, not that synthetic stuff", as if they always have to point out to the audience that this is the future, and nothing is natural anymore. Tom Cruise's house is messy - something that's almost never seen in a movie. I love how he's annoyed by the advertisement on the cereal box, because that's how a lot of people feel towards ads - and a nice precursor to pop-up ads on the internet. I also love the lack of futuristic "slang". In other words, it's probably one of the best realized futures i've seen in a movie.

mwbmis 11-09-07 09:00 PM

Superman Returns has really grown on me since it's been on cable.

The best example for me though is a Fish Called Wanda. I was distracted the first time I saw it; didn't think much of it the second time I saw it, and then the third time I wondered what I had been thinking because the movie is a scream.

PopcornTreeCt 11-09-07 09:15 PM

I didn't care for it in the theatre. Now I love it.

RichC2 11-09-07 09:38 PM

The Big Lebowski
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

islandclaws 11-10-07 11:30 AM

Slither. For some foolish reason I just wasn't digging it as much as I thought in theaters, then I bought it on DVD and now I can't express my love for it enough.

Rad14 11-10-07 11:46 AM

Alexander.

Yes, I know, practically everyone here seems to hate it, but when I first saw it in the theatre, I was dissappointed, but still thought it was a worthy effort.

Now, I watch it quite often.

UAIOE 11-10-07 12:26 PM

"The Mummy" I saw this in the theaters with a friend and he hated the movie but I thought it was alright. Later I read a review for the movie and it made me realize that what the guy was saying about the movie (silly/cheesy b-movie feel) is exactly what I loved about the movie.

Brack 11-10-07 12:57 PM

Anchorman. I put it that "hate" list, but I never really hated it, just thought it was only okay. Then I watched it on HBO and couldn't stop laughing.

BlueCC 11-10-07 01:28 PM

Curse of the Puppet Master - I loaned the set to my grandpa saying I didn't like Curse...he gave them back saying that I was right, Curse IS a good one. Baffled, I watched it again and liked it.