Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Michael Moore is full of it, or do you support him?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you think Michael Moore is full of it, or do you support him?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see very many people still arguing that Fahrenheit 911 was all false-facts leftist agenda. I watched it again recently and man, some peopel should just shut up about Michael Moore and take a hint from his movies.
I'd love to slap every jackass who discredited the point of that movie based on the fact he had "an agenda" -yeah-turns out that "agenda" was right after all dumbasses.
Old 11-14-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
(By the by, I noticed that when I mentioned the Three-Fifths clause, which basically PROVED beyond question that there were outdated flaws in the constitution and removed all doubt that it IS a living, breathing document, the point was completely ignored....)
I ignored it because I already stated that the Constitution IS NOT a living breathing document, but rather one that can be amended when needed. The Three-Fifths clause which you referenced has been amended.

Lot of power in a handgun...
Riiiiiiiight.

There's waaaay more power in a Remington 870.

Last edited by MartinBlank; 11-14-07 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since everybody digs wiki...

The United States Bill of Rights consists of the first 10 amendments to the United States Constitution. These amendments limit the powers of the federal government, protecting the rights of all citizens, residents and visitors on United States territory. Among the enumerated rights these amendments guarantee are: the freedoms of speech, press, and religion; the people's right to keep and bear arms; the freedom of assembly; the freedom to petition; and the rights to be free of unreasonable search and seizure; cruel and unusual punishment; and compelled self-incrimination. The Bill of Rights also restricts Congress' power by prohibiting it from making any law respecting establishment of religion and by prohibiting the federal government from depriving any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. In criminal cases, it requires indictment by grand jury for any capital or "infamous crime," guarantees a speedy public trial with an impartial and local jury, and prohibits double jeopardy. In addition, the Bill of Rights states that "the enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people,"[1] and reserves all powers not granted to the Federal government to the citizenry or States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Bill_of_Rights
Old 11-14-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
I ignored it because I already stated that the Constitution IS NOT a living breathing document, but rather one that can be amended when needed. The Three-Fifths clause which you referenced has been amended.
WHICH MEANT THAT IT HAD BEEN ALTERED - MEANING TO CHANGE, REDIFINE or CLARIFY. Which means that the constitution was not a perfect-on-spec, locked-in-stone document, but one that needed to be changed to reflect the times. How is this even still an argument? You're proving my point.

Riiiiiiiight.

There's waaaay more power in a Remington 870.
I think you missed my point... You said that power corrupts. You saying there's no corruptive power-trip-high you get from a friggin' shotgun?

-Doc
Old 11-14-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WHICH MEANT THAT IT HAD BEEN ALTERED - MEANING TO CHANGE, REDIFINE or CLARIFY. Which means that the constitution was not a perfect-on-spec, locked-in-stone document, but one that needed to be changed to reflect the times. How is this even still an argument? You're proving my point.

No, like I stated earlier...referring to it as a "living breathing document" is relative to the court system and THEIR interpretation of it. It does not automatically evolve over time, it takes the human mind and vote for it to change.

I think you missed my point... You said that power corrupts. You saying there's no corruptive power-trip-high you get from a friggin' shotgun?
Handgun, shotgun, rifle it doesn't matter. Where to you get the impression than ANYONE goes on a "power-trip-high" from possessing a "friggin" firearm.

I'm going on my 10th year of being a private citizen able to carry a concealed handgun. Why? Because I can. I took the safety course, I gave my prints & mugshot to the county sheriff, and thorough FBI background check was done....and every four years I have to re-up with them. Which is strange...I mean, you'd think that over the course of 10 years, 520 weeks, 3650 days of carrying a handgun that I would have eventually gone on my "power-trip-high", correct? Weird.
Old 11-14-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, like I stated earlier...referring to it as a "living breathing document" is relative to the court system and THEIR interpretation of it. It does not automatically evolve over time, it takes the human mind and vote for it to change.
Okay, see I knew this was just a phrasing issue. I never meant to suggest that it just mutates into something different as the pages fly off the calendar. Of course ammending the Constitution should only be done after careful discussion and thoughtful, exhaustive debate in accordance with the will of the American people, while also remaining true to the spirit of the original document and balancing that against modern wisdom. We're basically agreeing on the nature of the Constitution, we just have differing opinions on the relevance of the 2nd ammendment. I'm sorry if I wasn't making that clear earlier.

I'm going on my 10th year of being a private citizen able to carry a concealed handgun. Why? Because I can. I took the safety course, I gave my prints & mugshot to the county sheriff, and thorough FBI background check was done....and every four years I have to re-up with them.
Well it sounds like you are responsible and safety conscious (although I whole-heartedly disagree with carry & conceal permits), and you are not the one I'm worried about. It's the same with government. Do I think this administration is going to use my tapped phone conversations to throw me in prison, label me an enemy combatant and suspend habius corpus? No (Although only because I'm not guilty of protesting while arab). It's the guy ten presidents down the line that I'm worried about... What is he going to do with these expanded powers? There's a reason "separation of powers" and "checks and balances" exist, and it's the same reason that gun control exists.

Either way, obviously we're not about to change each others minds anytime soon, Martin, but I want to thank you for a spirited and mature debate. It's very easy to get dragged down into personal attacks and base insults when issues as passionately contested as these are argued and discussed, and lord knows I can be just as guilty of that from time to time. But I very much enjoy these palavers, in that even if nothing is resolved, they help to refine and articulate one's own position. Cheers.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 11-14-07 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well it sounds like you are responsible and safety conscious (although I whole-heartedly disagree with carry & conceal permits), and you are not the one I'm worried about.
Why do you disagree with them?
Old 11-14-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do you disagree with them?

I can sort of understand (if not get behind) the whole, "A man's home is his castle to defend" theory of gun ownership, and why one would keep a gun in his/her house. A population of citizens carrying concealed firearms, however... that's a little too "wild west" for me.

-Doc
Old 11-17-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 11-17-07, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
Yeah, because our armed forces stand no chance against Americans with guns.
I bet the tyrant George III sarcastically thought the same thing.
Old 11-17-07, 10:06 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Letterman
I bet the tyrant George III sarcastically thought the same thing.
Right.