DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   help me identify this late 70's/Early 80's Grade school film (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/515938-help-me-identify-late-70s-early-80s-grade-school-film.html)

CPA-ESQ. 10-31-07 01:20 PM

help me identify this late 70's/Early 80's Grade school film

I remember watching a movie in school about a group of students in what seemed like a bunker of a school.

It was raining, and gray. You got the impression that it rained 24/7. One day, the sun came out - the kids ran outside, flowers bloomed etc. The sun only came out for a couple of minutes..

Then it started to rain again and the kids were ushered back into the bunker/school.

This movie was around the same time as The Red Balloon, it may have been foreign.

wishbone 10-31-07 01:23 PM

I saw that on cable, early '80s I think. There was a kid that could not go outside for some reason, he could only look out of a window at the sunlight while the other kids were outside playing. Kinda sad, reflective short film.

Found it: All Summer in a Day

dick_grayson 10-31-07 01:30 PM

I remember seeing this back in the day as well. I thought it was based on a Ray Bradbury short story or something.

MBoyd 10-31-07 01:59 PM

^ sounds right to me too. Venus story maybe?

EDIT: Yep just read the IMDB page. I remember reading a Bradbury short about a group walking on Venus to an "artificial sun station." I always wondered if it was set in his Martian universe.

Minor Threat 10-31-07 02:03 PM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/veKSWIGHa6Q&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/veKSWIGHa6Q&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

wishbone 10-31-07 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I remember seeing this back in the day as well. I thought it was based on a Ray Bradbury short story or something.

Originally Posted by MBoyd
^ sounds right to me too. Venus story maybe?

"All Summer in a Day" is a short story by science fiction author Ray Bradbury. This story was originally published in 1959 in a Bradbury short story collection entitled, A Medicine for Melancholy.

The story deals with a group of frolicking schoolchildren residing on a warm, tropical Venus that was colonized by "rocket men and women who had come to a raining world to set up civilization and live out their lives", at an unspecified time in the future. The thick atmosphere of Venus still exists at this time, and it is constantly raining, therefore seeing the sun is a very rare event, which occurs only every seven years for just one hour.

The story is mainly about Margot, a little girl who moved to Venus from Earth five years before the story takes place. She remembers the sun and the way it looked and felt. She doesn't play much with the other children in the underground city they live in and she is an outcast because of her sensitivity and the fact that it was rumored that she may return to Earth the next year. The kids are jealous of her because she remembers the sun but they were only two years old when it last came and don't remember it. She almost had a nervous breakdown from living with the relentless rain because she got too sick of it. For example, when she was supposed to take a shower at her school locker room but she refused to get wet. She clutched her hands over her head and screamed the water must not touch her head.

She writes a poem about the sun: "I think the sun is a flower that blooms for just one hour." She also describes it as "a penny" or a "fire in a stove". The other children don't believe her and the class bully, William, starts to harass her physically and verbally. While the teacher is out of the room, he convinces the other children to lock Margot in the closet.

The teacher finally comes back and takes the children outside once the sun comes out. They finally see the blazing sun and the blue sky. In their astonishment and joy, they all forget about Margot. They run and play in the warm fresh air until the hour is up.

A girl is sad because she sees a raindrop in her hand. Once the rain begins again, the children go back inside. Suddenly, one of the children remembers Margot, still locked in the closet. They all walk slowly towards the closet, realizing what they have done, and let Margot out.

A short film version was made for television in 1982, featuring an expanded ending in which the children atone by giving Margot all the flowers they picked while the sun was out. In the movie she has one friend and never was emotionally distraught.

In this short story it is shown how Margot's individuality makes her peers jealous. However, they eventually feel guilty when they realize what they did was wrong. This story can also teach its readers about the bad qualities of discrimination by seeing the unfair way Margot was treated. In the film version, Margot eventually makes up with William, who was her only friend before the sun came out, after he gives her his flowers. The flowers were givien as a meaning of apology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Summer_in_a_Day

wishbone 10-31-07 03:21 PM

Speaking of obscure '70 - '80s short films, anyone remember seeing "The House With A Clock In Its Walls"?

CPA-ESQ. 10-31-07 03:28 PM

Dammn this is a deep movie..

A flood of memories are coming back to me.

I remember the kid in the closet - and after reading the Wiki entry and seeing the short film .. I remember the flowers at the end, and the rain drops etc.

What I am most pissed at is the laziness of my teachers.. It is a good story, but they never explained anything - they just started the film strip and I guess waited for the end of the day.

Or who knows.. maybe they did try to explain it.. but it was so dammn boring and confusing that I decided to draw some more devil horns and gap teeth on people in my textbook or GIJoe and Cobra symbols on my book covers.

Kittydreamer 10-31-07 03:29 PM

OMG I remember this! Only we read it, didn't see the movie.