Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Lumet, 2007) — Hoffman/Hawke/Finney/Tomei

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Lumet, 2007) — Hoffman/Hawke/Finney/Tomei

Old 04-24-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Just caught this film last night. Good stuff. I've been thinking a lot about it. But there were a few things that kept it from being great for me. I appreciated the ending, but it left me with too many questions regarding the other characters. I realize this is really Andy's story, but I wanted a little follow-through with Hank's side of the story. And yeah, the hospital thing was a little easy. And let's face it, this is a film filled with scumbags.

As was mentioned, the feeling of things going from bad to worse is palpable.

And Marisa Tomei. Oh hell.
Old 04-24-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw this last weekend, great movie! Hoffman is terrific in it and Marisa Tomei
Old 04-24-08, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly hated it. I was in a bad mood when I watched it so that couldn't have helped. I'm just tired of watching movies that are constantly down and depressing with no hope, or no character that's not corrupt.

Oh well, maybe in a few years I'll give it another chance.
Old 04-25-08, 04:21 PM

Absolutely phenomenal movie IMO.
Old 04-25-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
loved it...

Lumet still has it in his 80's...

i liked Ebert's review of the film... that first paragraph...
Old 04-25-08, 11:46 PM

Just one question, does Ethan Hawke's character get away at the end?
Old 05-20-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this one this morning. Really good flick, and you never really know what's going to happen, except that they're all going down.

= J
Old 05-20-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by RD1973
Just one question, does Ethan Hawke's character get away at the end?
Most likely... HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILERS but in all honesty, he doesn't really get away with much. His mother is dead, his brother is dead, his dad will probably get pinched for murdering him, his wife and daughter couldnt' give two shits about him, and he's too stupid to really get himself out of any jam without creating a bigger one.

You know, this is the only movie I'ver *EVER* liked Ethan Hawke in. He's always come across as a smarmy, undertalented assmonkey in every other role he's been in. Here, though, he's spectacular.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-20-08 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-03-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by project86
I honestly hated it. I was in a bad mood when I watched it so that couldn't have helped. I'm just tired of watching movies that are constantly down and depressing with no hope, or no character that's not corrupt.

Oh well, maybe in a few years I'll give it another chance.
I really liked this movie but admittedly you have to be ready to watch a 2 hour trainwreck. Pretty much everyone's life goes to shit in 120 minutes.

Phillip Seymore Hoffman is a local boy from Rochester and has really done some incredible work. Marisa Tomei is from Brooklyn and really has an incredible body. Nice combination.

The Blu Ray had very nice PQ and audio. Being a drama it was primarily conversation but the sub did get quite a workout from the score at times.
Old 10-19-08, 03:08 PM

A really terrific flick. Hoffman again put in a great performance, which along with The Savages truely reinforces his magnificent range and diversity as an actor. Another one or two more films like these and he may well knock DiCaprio down to no. 2 in my favourite actors list. A title, might I add, that Caprio's held for me since I watched Titanic (the only perfect piece of storytelling ever filmed).
Old 10-19-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-19-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EdiTiZ
A title, might I add, that Caprio's held for me since I watched Titanic (the only perfect piece of storytelling ever filmed).
Clearly, you have not seen Big Trouble in Little China.
Old 10-19-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Titanic (the only perfect piece of storytelling ever filmed).
Oh, it's a perfect piece of something allright.
Old 10-19-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sorry but a naked Marissa Tomei is better than a naked Kate Winslet so that makes Titanic imperfect at least compared to Devil.
Old 10-19-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
A really terrific flick. Hoffman again put in a great performance, which along with The Savages truely reinforces his magnificent range and diversity as an actor. Another one or two more films like these and he may well knock DiCaprio down to no. 2 in my favourite actors list. A title, might I add, that Caprio's held for me since I watched Titanic (the only perfect piece of storytelling ever filmed).
James Cameron is my personal idol. I don't think about it much (no repectful fan or admirer should) - but I don't place Titanic at the top.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was excellent. Sidney Lumet has made some greats (Network, Dog Day Afternoon). But the movies haven't been consistantly good. It's sort of 'in and out'. He was definately in tip-top shape for 'Devil'. I am impressed that a 70-or-80 year old guy was in charge of an admittingly 'hip' movie.

Hearing from the guy, Lumet obviously cares a lot about his actors. I respect the actors themselves. But you have to give everyone credit for the performances. 'Devil' was a strong collaboration. Without picking apart everyone's filmographies, I'd say that everyone involved put in their best performances to date.

A real mood-changing, soul-crushing, exhausting flick. One of those movies where you just need to get up and leave the house after watching. Catch some breath, forget that you were so involved in what happened.
Old 03-16-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Lumet, 2007) — Hoffman/Hawke/Finney/Tomei

Second viewing today and it has not lost it's power. Sidney Lumet in top form at 83 and what a goodbye.
An acting tour-de-force, especially by the great Philip Seymour Hoffman (you Sir are sorely missed).

5/5