Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Lantern - news, rumors, castings, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Green Lantern - news, rumors, castings, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Green Lantern - news, rumors, castings, etc.

No IMAX transfer confirmed

(good website BTW- the guy seems to know his stuff)

Kind of a bummer. I don't go to the theater that often, and this is one of the few movies I really hoped would have an IMAX transfer. Shelling out $14 at the local cineplex's tiny RealD theater doesn't really appeal to me.
Old 05-25-11, 03:38 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks there's no Imax, this is the one movie that absolutely calls for it. Surprised how excited I am for this one, though. Not a huge fan of Green Lantern, but the sci-fi elements and tone really have impressed me so far.
Old 05-25-11, 03:41 PM

I know GL wasn't shot in 3D, but Im wondering if it will really matter. Unless WB are mad retarded, the effects should have been rendered in 3D, and considering how much of the film is effects, the fact that its not native might barely matter in the grand scheme of things
Old 05-25-11, 03:49 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Labor
I know GL wasn't shot in 3D, but Im wondering if it will really matter. Unless WB are mad retarded, the effects should have been rendered in 3D, and considering how much of the film is effects, the fact that its not native might barely matter in the grand scheme of things
I'm not too concerned about it. A lot has changed since Clash of the Titans and "adding" 3D is becoming more commonplace, even if they didn't render the effects in 3D.
Old 05-25-11, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

GL's 3D is a different case from Thor or Titans. Even though GL also has post-processed 3D effects (meaning they weren't rendered in 3D) they've been working for well over a year to get the 3D up to snuff. Movies like Thor/Titans/Green Hornet (etc) 3D are mostly slap-dash jobs done in a couple of months, mostly as afterthoughts.

GL's 3D should look excellent- maybe not Avatar or Tron Legacy excellent, but almost as good.
Old 05-25-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They announced Thor was going 3D at Comic Con last year, so they had a while.
Old 05-25-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thor's CGI was done in 3D just like Green Lantern, although Lantern has a bigger effects house and budget behind it than Thor.
Old 06-02-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A Toast To Green Lantern

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rT96_idWN0Q?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rT96_idWN0Q?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 06-02-11, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heh...
Old 06-02-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

"Hawkward."
Old 06-06-11, 05:38 PM
Banned

Clips..some neat, some cut too short to get a feel...Effects still don't look as good as one would expect.

<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40951"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40951" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40955"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40955" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40949"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40949" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40953"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40953" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40954"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40954" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40948"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40948" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40952"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40952" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Ugh...Sony Imageworks just can't get their shit right. Physics looks too quirky when GL goes into the vehicle.
<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40950"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40950" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-07-11, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh man.

I've been positive about this movie going back to the first trailer, because I could see hints of emotional depth between the one-liners, and I had a strong feeling they were going to swing for the fences as far as the intergalactic scope. The last few trailers only seemed to confirm my initial feelings.

But the clip with Hal facing Parallax, in the heat of the moment and facing an urgent, immediate threat Hal has not only the presence of mind but more than enough time to

Spoiler:
construct a set of springs, to launch the tanker into the air,
and then construct a set of anti aircraft guns to then fire at the tanker, blowing it up-

That just seems either extremely campy in just how over-thought is (which could be fun if the scene were light and frivolous), or seriously contrived, or a bit of both. It reminded me of seeing a fight scene where one guy is taking on 4 other people, and the four adversaries all wait to take their turn so that he can knock each one out one at a time- when the reality would be they would pile on all at once and beat the living sh*t out of him from every direction.

Forget the aesthetic quality of the special effects. Imagination trumps extreme photo realism to me- but at the same time, it might just be too imaginative to swallow. To think that he will be able to have the presence of mind in the most extreme, pressure filled situations to think beyond the most basic cause/effect reflex to conjure up some convoluted Rube Goldberg-esque solution to every problem- just seems like something that can work fine in a comic, but is almost impossible to buy into in a live action situation-unless you turn your brain off. Which is something I was hoping I wouldn't have to do with this one.

I do hope young kids dig the imagination on display, and the film at least clicks with them. It looks like an overall affectionate and reverential treatment of the source material, so I hate to be too churlish towards it.
Especially since the rest of the clips still looked good to great to me.
(loved Sinestro's dig at Hal during the address)

Other than the issue of potentially too much imagination, the only other thing that really bugs me is the motherf#cking teal and orange color grading. I thought from the earlier trailers they were going to go with a more natural, less cliched palate for this film- but no. It looks just like Planet of the Apes which looks just like Transformers, which looks just like X-men which looks just like...
Enough with this shit already. It's an ugly, unnatural, artificial look that takes me out of movies more often than any scenes of shaky cg.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-07-11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

My inner 7 year old is looking forward to this just fine.
Old 06-07-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks absolutely awful.

The trailers I've seen, a bunch of video game cut scenes, look ridiculous.
Old 06-07-11, 10:09 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

couldn't agree more. I just don't think I could physically sit thru 2 hours of this shit.
Old 06-07-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

I totally agree. As much as I continue to love the superhero genre I can't sum up any excitement for this. The CG looks bad, Peter Sarsgaard's makeup/CGI looks beyond ridiculous.

I see so many fans trying to talk themselves into this looking good, "Oh, see the new trailer, it's much better." But I don't get it, at all.

Of course I'm going to see it and will be happy to be proven wrong, but I have a bad feeling about it.
Old 06-07-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Funny... I've loved almost everything thus far and can't WAIT for this movie.
Old 06-07-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
I see so many fans trying to talk themselves into this looking good, "Oh, see the new trailer, it's much better." But I don't get it, at all.
I don't think anyone is talking themselves into anything.
Old 06-07-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
couldn't agree more. I just don't think I could physically sit thru 2 hours of this shit.
I think you could. What do you think is gonna happen? You're gonna burst into flames?

I think it looks crappy too but I'm willing to be proven wrong and I have a free ticket anyway. Even if its worse than I could possibly imagine I still don't anticipate any physical forces keeping me out of the theater.
Old 06-07-11, 12:45 PM
Banned

some moments on fine with others I'm not. Lively I think is the weakest link in the film in terms of acting...she doesn't really matter much the way she plays it.
Old 06-07-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am loving the movie, GL was my favorite hero in the late 70's, when Mike Grell was doing the art. GL/GA mag was awesome and it was the best seller for a few years. Then, the changed artist and "Feel" of the stories, all down hill after that.

This movie is feeling like a "Double Trip" for me and 1st day BR purchase.

I am a sucker for any good super hero movie.
Old 06-07-11, 06:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I just can't see this being a hit. I don't know any women who are interested in this movie, no matter how hot R.R. is... and these are the same women who were/are interested in Iron Man, the X-Men, Thor, and Captain America. It's so overproduced and CGI saturated... it really almost hurts my eyes... hell, I heard even George Lucas told them to tone it down.
Old 06-07-11, 07:56 PM

Movie looks alright to me, hoping it really wows me when I see it but I'll settle for decent. My problem is I feel with all the trailers and things released, I feel as though I've seen the basic story of the movie, minus maybe a few details with Hammond and Lively. And that's with me skipping out on all the scene clips. I'll still see it, but I've got to remember to hold myself back from becoming overexposed again for a big event movie.
Old 06-07-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I just can't see this being a hit. I don't know any women who are interested in this movie, no matter how hot R.R. is... and these are the same women who were/are interested in Iron Man, the X-Men, Thor, and Captain America.
Purely anecdotal. As is my observation that I know an ass-ton of women who wouldn't know Green Lantern from a hole in the wall, and are TOTALLY excited for it.
Old 06-08-11, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

the more i watch and absorb that last clip, the more I start to dread this.

too clever by half- and I don't expect that will be the only sequence where that quality will apply.

That kind of Rube Goldberg stuff should be saved for the big finish, where the antagonist isn't expecting it, or not comprehending where things are going until its too late.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-08-11 at 06:22 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.