Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw IV (Movie discussion thread.)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saw IV (Movie discussion thread.)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Just finished watching this convoluted mess. The first three films were a tightly knit-woven together affair and wrapped up nicely in III (save for a couple lingering questions). IV was abysmal. I wouldn't even recommend it to fans of the franchise. They seem to have suffered from "24 syndrome" aka needlessly killing off characters for no reason (Kerry, Matthews & Jeff). The traps weren't all that creative and the plot was a mess trying to have this going on at the same time as III.

I also have to agree about the two leads looking too similar. That just added to the confusion. How was Art tied into the whole deal? Did he fuck around with Jigsaw's wife? I get that he got off the other victims but how did he end up in the "game" and did he know Hoffman was behind it? Did I miss something? Did he get off the truck driver that hit John's car?

They definitely left many questions for V. With how bad this one was though, I'm not that eager to see it. I also find it interesting how polarizing III has been for people in this thread. I think it's my favorite.
Old 02-16-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't say I didn't like Saw IV, but I can't say I liked it either.

Saw was a nice little movie about how to escape from a really bad situation, and the twist at the end was smart. Saw II wasn't quite as good as the first Saw, but it was still a solid entry into the series, and the twist ending was pretty good as well. Saw III would've been a nice way to wrap up the franchise, and also had a pretty good twist ending.

I can't say the same thing about Saw IV.

Tobin Bell always gives a good performance, even if the material isn't quite up to par with his acting skills. I still feel sorry for the talented Donnie Wahlberg, who can either land a great project like Boomtown or a crappy project like Dead Silence. The rest of the cast was alright, but nothing special.

The story of Saw IV just wasn't good. It isn't like it was a badly directed movie or anything; it was just that it isn't something we haven't already seen before in the Saw franchise. I saw the twist coming a mile away, it went into just kill somebody as violently as we can, and it was just poorly written all in all.

I'd give it *1/2 out of 5: Skip It or Rent It