Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw IV (Movie discussion thread.)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saw IV (Movie discussion thread.)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 05:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried going to the 9:20 pm last night, it was sold out, as was the 9:50. The 10:20 that I ended up buying tickets for sold out too
Old 10-27-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
This is going to make lots of money like it's 3 predecessors. The Saw movies have always been extremely low budget.
Old 10-27-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
SAW IV
Lionsgate

3,183 $14,300,000

Friday estimate.
Old 10-27-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty shocked. The 8:00 show I was at on Friday was barely half full, judging by the lines to get in, Dan in Real Life was much longer thn Saw.
Old 10-27-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think they left all the questions about "that character" so they could have Tobin Bell in Saw V flashbacks to explain why he chose him, and I have a guess at what Amanda's note said, probally something about Jigsaw choosing "that character" over her as the new Jigsaw
Old 10-27-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, they should have explained that letter even better.
Old 10-27-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know the glass box full of broken glass that we see Jigsaw covering up? We never see that trap in the movie, but there is a publicity still floating around online of a guy in his underwear in that trap, screaming. Maybe it was cut. It looks a little like Zep from part 1.
Old 10-27-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Caught an afternoon show of this and enjoyed it. Probably not as much as the previous 3, because of some of the reasons already mentioned here. For the record, I loved the 1st, and the last 2 were fun to watch as well and i'm a pretty big Saw fan.

I still love the way that the writers work with the plot and entwine the whole series and it's characters together. Sure some of it can seem tacked on and piece meal, but for the most part I thought it was clever. Unfortunately this means that new characters are brought in, and as mentioned by others already, can be difficult to like.

I loved the Eric Matthews and Gordon character, as well as Amanda and Jigsaw. Didn't care at all for the guys in 3 and 4 though.

Spoiler:
So on the bright side, I didn't give a shit about the guy coming back from the 3rd film and lasting 2 minutes before dying. In fact, all of the main characters from the movies have pretty much met their end and didn't have much of a role past that, so I didn't mind at all. I thought it was a good way to show how this movie related to #3, and the whole twist that they were happening at the same time was great.

It was also great to see Matthew back, although I really wanted him to live

But my biggest complaint was with you guys about the Detective being the new killer. Without an explanation as to why like they did with Amanda, I didn't give too shits about him. The end just ended up being a "huh?" moment rather then a shocking twist. It made the rest of the movie feel a bit empty since there wasn't a good resolution.

Besides that though, I still enjoyed it. The traps were fun, but out of everything, the first scene gave me more chills then anything else. I figured the writers must have seen the audience reaction to the brain surgery in #3 and decided to up the ante.

Oh well, bring on #5 next year to see the story continue!
Old 10-27-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Def a HUH ending rather than a WOW ending. Nowhere near as clever as the last films. the whole 15 minutes was just confusing for the same reasons you all have mentioned. Maybe Saw 5 will explain what this detective has to do with jigsaw.
Old 10-28-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was the film too dark for you all? I'm mean turn a little light on! I was squinting during some scenes.

All in all, probably the weakest entry, but still fun. It did feel like Saw 3.5 or atleast a prelude to a bigger film.

I really like how they add the background info to Jigsaw. Adds so much, but never makes him unscary ala Hannibal Rising or RZ Halloween.

Grade: C+
Old 10-28-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if Saw 5 throws some good explanations at us, will people feel better about this film? It is Saw 3.5, and it really depends on part 3 so much and probably part 5. They have planned out the series to 6 films, so I'm hoping they have some good ideas that they are waiting to spring on us.

I think the biggest problem is that the film is too dependent on other films. Horror film sequels have to stand on their own. Although, if their goal is to keep me coming back, they are successful.
Old 10-28-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
I think the biggest problem is that the film is too dependent on other films. Horror film sequels have to stand on their own. Although, if their goal is to keep me coming back, they are successful.
I actually love this aspect of the Saw series, and if it didn't happen I probably wouldn't have seen all 4 movies and be a fan of them. It might make it more difficult for those who haven't seen the previous movies or maybe missed one or two earlier movies to get in to it, but I think the story of Saw matches up better through 4 movies then any other horror series that's gotten this many sequels.
Old 10-28-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree fumanstan, but 4 is too connected, the previous 3 could be enjoyed pretty well by themselves, 4 not so much. 4 does not have a satisfying conclusion.
Old 10-28-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
The one thing I do like about this series is how they have managed to maintain continuity from the previous films.

I noticed that Matthews was wearing a protective boot on the foot he beat to a pulp and smashed off in the previous film.
Old 10-28-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I'm pretty shocked. The 8:00 show I was at on Friday was barely half full, judging by the lines to get in, Dan in Real Life was much longer thn Saw.

I guess people in your place has a different taste in movies

SAW ate the competition this week with an estimate $32mil... Dan In Real groseed only $12mil
Old 10-28-07, 02:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I noticed that Matthews was wearing a protective boot on the foot he beat to a pulp and smashed off in the previous film.
you noticed that too? they only showed it about 2 dozen times slipping off the ice.
Old 10-28-07, 02:51 PM

I tried to get into several sesssions of Saw IV at my local multiplex at the weekend. All sold out. Long, LONG lines out the front. Really surprised at how huge this franchise has become.
Old 10-28-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xage
I guess people in your place has a different taste in movies

SAW ate the competition this week with an estimate $32mil... Dan In Real groseed only $12mil
Dan in Real Life was on 1,900 screens and Saw was on almost 3,200
Old 10-28-07, 06:48 PM

Somthing interesting I caught on an IMDB thread is that the hooker that approaches Jigsaw while he is waiting in a car at the clinic in Saw 4 was the hooker from Saw 2. I haven't seen Saw 2 since it came out on video, so I didn't catch it. I'm sure others missed it too.
Old 10-28-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, the guy "Gus" who hits Cecil in the clinic -- He is the guy who is shot in the eye while looking through the keyhole in "Saw II"
Old 10-28-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's hard not to admire how connected they keep this series, down to little details like that.
Old 10-28-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
It did feel like Saw 3.5 or at least a prelude to a bigger film.
definitely... I kept waiting for a big reveal moment as to WHY, but we don't get it...and like others have said, I'm sure Saw V will show how Jigsaw got this new protege and will explain Amanda's letter (I agree with the speculation)... but I actually liked this one a hell of a lot more than Saw III. I actually enjoyed this as I was watching it, whereas I hated most of Saw III until the reveal, because I felt all the traps etc. were so out of character (and then of course, that was the point...but I didn't enjoy getting there).

I just wish there was more of a 'gotcha' moment in this one though, because I knew early that the autopsy was the end of the film and figured we were once again running concurrently to one of the earlier films...and the final twist you see a mile away - you just don't know why. Overall I thought it was a fun horror flick, pretty gruesome and even if it doesn't quite add up, I'm sure once it fits into the whole Saw Puzzle with the films yet to come, it'll stand up.

I also didn't mind Scott Patterson...I thought he was fine, but I was a gilmore fan...and that opening autopsy had to be more graphic and disgusting than anything in any of the other Saw flicks...people were turning away and gaging! Not perfect, but worthwhile. 3/5 stars.
Old 10-31-07, 02:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Why, oh why couldn't they stop with Saw 3? Saw IV is a total turd. Part 3 had a satisfying conclusion and a great storyline and a definitive ending. You couldn't get more definitive than part 3. So why bother with Saw IV?

There are so many problems with this film.
Spoiler:
First off, I had no idea the autopsy was actually the final scene. It only makes sense once you've seen the entire film, but it just seems to me like another stupid "twist" to add to the already weak script. Almost all of the traps were pretty lame. They were completely implausible. The only one I liked was the first trap Jigsaw made for Cecil. I liked seeing his beginnings in the art of torture. But what was up with this Det. Hoffman guy? Now he's the new Jigsaw. Why? Do we really need to see more of Costas Mandylor in future sequels? I don't. They don't even explain his motivation for aiding Jigsaw. It's like Friday the 13th part 5 except forget the ambulance driver's son got killed, and instead he's just some random dude that dresses and kills like Jason. And wtf was up with Angus MacFayden? It's like the duo that were writing the script got 80% done and then one said, "Shit, we forgot all about that guy left in the building at the end of Saw 3! What should we do?" So the other said, "Let's just have someone shoot him as soon as he pops up. Now we don't have to deal with resolving his story." "High five!" And this guy from Gilmore Girls as the captain? Could he have been any worse of an actor? This movie sucked so bad it hurts my brain.

Here's where I stand if you want a good idea of how I view the series.

Saw was good, but Elwes acting killed it. 8/10.
Saw 2 was also good, but it didn't ever feel great. 8/10
Saw 3 was awesome. A great script with a totally satisfying ending to the series. If they hadn't gotten greedy and just ended it here, this series could eventually become legendary. 9/10.
Saw 4 was bad. New Nightmare bad. 6/10.
I agree, I thought Elwes was the biggest flaw of the first film.

2 kind of felt like a throw away film - the least memorable in my opinion.

3 was very impressive, my fave so far... you could tell though when the ending of three wasn't resolved in 4
Spoiler:
(the missing daughter)
- the story has to continue.

as for 4 - I couldn't believe how ludicrous the story evolved..

(re: Hoffman) "They don't even explain his motivation for aiding Jigsaw." - that was definately a head scratcher for me as well.

[side comment: I didn't realize the free tix with 'SAW III - DC' was not valid for AMC theatres until I got to the theatre - miss ticket lady though was very nice and just said I could go in... awesome!]

Last edited by Giles; 10-31-07 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-04-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I am hoping to finally go see Saw IV this week. I watched Saw I & II on Tuesday and Saw III last night so I am now ready to go...
Old 11-04-07, 10:09 AM
Banned

Good luck watching that mess....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.