Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Charlie Wilson's War - 12/25/2007

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Charlie Wilson's War - 12/25/2007

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this yesterday, and I would have to agree with some of the other posters that it was decent, but not great. It almost seemed like it was 2 movies, the first 2/3 of the movie was very entertaining, with a lot of great moments, sharp dialogue, and strong performances, especially hoffman, and especially
Spoiler:
the scene where gust and wilson first meet in wilson's office, nothing else in the movie really compares to it.

the last 25-30% of the movie was pretty bad, almost like a bad episode of dateline or 60 minutes. in particular, the sequence
Spoiler:
of the soviet helicopter pilots yapping before they got shot down was bizarrely bad imo, it was almost like something you would see in a steven seagall movie or something. i was like, wtf, is this in the same movie as that incredible scene between hoffman and hanks?

and not to troll, but...
Spoiler:
i don't even really agree with the movie's conclusion, giving a little bit of post war aid money or even a lot, wouldn't have made much difference imo in afghanistan in the early 90s. the problem wasn't aid, it was the same type of stupid ethnic and religious infighting that plagues post invasion iraq. the taliban(i assume the 'crazies' referred to in the movie at the end) did not gain power until much much later, and that was mostly because they positioned themselves as a 'law and order' solution.

anyway, it seemed to me that one of the 'messages' that the movie was trying to send was that if we had paid more attention to post war afghanistan then maybe there wouldn't have been the taliban or 9/11 wouldn't have happened. but that just seems really naive--imo the only thing that would have possibly addressed those issues is if the nato/us had sent in thousands of troops to restore order, as happened post 9/11. but after the afghans had just defeated the soviet occupation, there is no way that anyone was going to send troops in, even on a friendly basis. and the soviets probably would have viewed it as an act of war. and without that, i doubt that aid would have really mattered that much.

anyway, i was just disappointed that the movie morphed into a bad network documentary by the end.

it's tough to make an intelligent and entertaining movie about a subject like this, so i'd give them a lot of credit for trying. hoffman was great, hanks was solid, julia roberts was weak, it was a tough role, and face it, she's no meryl streep, ha.
Old 01-05-08, 06:09 PM

watched this last night.

wow, what a terrible movie. no one was likable, the humor was forced, the special effects were poor, tom hanks was boring, poor structure, i can't really think of anything that would make me want to watch it again.

i usually dont hate a movie enough to post about it, but god this was awful- especially that mentioned scene with the soviet helicopter pilots joking with each other.
Old 01-05-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Started out well enough, with quite a good deal of humour. Ended terribly with an incredibly rushed finale that had absolutely no impact on me. Julia Roberts annoyed me in her role. Seymour Hoffman was the best thing about the movie, but there was very little to like overall.
Old 01-05-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Watched this earlier, good movie. Humor flowed pretty well, Hanks was entertaining and the plot flowed extremely well. And while it built up to the ending, I don't think as much thought or effort went into it as what came before hand.

And again w/ the Russian pilots, thought it was something from Hot Shots. Overall though, solid film. Hoffman was great, Roberts seemed forced.
Old 02-02-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got around to this one today. LOVED the first half of the movie, Tom Hanks' coked-out good ol' boy, and especially Philip Seymour Hoffman continuing to be the freaking man. His first scene was probably the greatest slice of hilarity he's displayed since Boogie Nights (I'm and idiot, I'm an IDIOT, I'm an IDIOT, I'm a FUCKING IDIOT!). Julia Roberts was, surprisingly, not loathsome, and that scene with her in a bikini got me raging with lust (though nothing compared to Amy Adams or Emily Blunt ).

However, I can't stress PSH's greatness in this movie. The Robert Goulet moustache/glasses added to the effect, but if this movie was all about Gust Avrakatos I'd like it even more.

I thought it petered out towards the end of it (got a bit too Hollywood-y), but Hanks and Hoffman make it incredibly worthwhile. A strong *** or mild ***1/2 out of four for me.
Old 04-24-08, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked this movie somewhat. It doesn't really get going until Hoffman starts getting into the story, which is when he meets Hanks for the first time. That's my favorite scene in the film. There are a few scenes that are very funny also.

On a side note, I know Emily Blunt is one of my favorite actresses at the moment and she's definitely attractive, but in this film, she is just a total babe. Did she get implants?