DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Annoying Actors turned into Respectable Directors: Who's on the list? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/514990-annoying-actors-turned-into-respectable-directors-whos-list.html)

toddly6666 10-20-07 07:25 PM

Annoying Actors turned into Respectable Directors: Who's on the list?

I haven't seen Gone, Baby, Gone yet, but here's the ones I can think of:

1. Ben Affleck
2. Ron Howard
3. Keith Gordon
4. Peter Berg

majorjoe23 10-20-07 07:30 PM

Sophia Coppola.

Cellar Door 10-20-07 07:36 PM

Jon Favreau

Boba Fett 10-20-07 07:54 PM

Emilio Estevez

devilshalo 10-20-07 09:33 PM

Joan Chen
Jonathan Frakes
David Arquette
David Schwimmer
David Duchovny

Drexl 10-20-07 09:42 PM

Penny Marshall

jdcopp 10-20-07 09:58 PM

how about a producer?

It does go a little off subject but given that he may have been the worst actor in the history of Hollywood, Robert Evans made a respectable reputation as a producer and might deserve mention.

MGR 10-20-07 10:04 PM

Todd Field

Perkinsun Dzees 10-20-07 10:23 PM

Zalman King
Sylvester Stallone
That chick with the annoying voice from CHASING AMY

HE Pennypacker 10-20-07 10:26 PM

Affleck is a respectable director after one great film?

JPRaup 10-21-07 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker

yes, GBG is incredible

and after seeing Into the Wild I will have to add Sean Penn.

toddly6666 10-21-07 03:35 AM

all it takes is one film! Better to make one good film than tons of crappy ones (Uwe Boll)

The Bus 10-21-07 08:45 AM

Gone Baby Gone is very, very good.

HE Pennypacker 10-21-07 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Gone Baby Gone is very, very good.

Indeed, but it could be a fluke for all we know. I am not willing to label Benny "respectable" until his directorial resume is added to.

toddly6666 10-21-07 04:09 PM

That's why Afleck should stop why he's ahead and not direct any more films!;) If he only directs one film his whole career, then he will still be seen as a respectful director. Quality wins over quantity.

And I suppose Mel Gibson can be added to the list. I personally like him as an actor and director, but i guess he's known as sort of an annoying actor to many.

MGR 10-21-07 05:15 PM

Indeed, but it could be a fluke for all we know. I am not willing to label Benny "respectable" until his directorial resume is added to.

Originally Posted by toddly6666
That's why Afleck should stop why he's ahead and not direct any more films! If he only directs one film his whole career, then he will still be seen as a respectful director. Quality wins over quantity.

That's not a bad plan.
The great actor (though not "annoying actor") Charles Laughton only directed one film in his life, and it was a doozey:
Night Of The Hunter
So was that film a just a fluke? Or could Laughton have been a gifted director of many other films? We'll never know...