DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Into the Wild - WHEN??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/514532-into-wild-when.html)

New Rambler 10-15-07 05:54 PM

Into the Wild - WHEN???

WTF is the deal with this flick? It opened last month but only in a few cities? When the heck is it going to make it to the other 500 cities in this country?!?!?!?!?!?! I've been waiting a decade to see this made into a film.

CharlieK 10-15-07 08:01 PM

I think you may be out of luck seeing it on the big screen.

JPRaup 10-15-07 08:22 PM

I saw the premiere at the Toronto Film Festival. My second favorite movie of the year, right behind Sunshine. Incredible visuals and acting. Hirsch is the man. The soundtrack is phenomenal. One of the best endings I have seen in awhile. Must see.

10/10

sauce07 10-15-07 10:21 PM

yeah i saw this a few weeks ago at a screening with Emile Hirch. I was a little cautious going in based on Sean Penns past work but left thinking this was the best i've seen all year. I haven't stopped thinking about it since, everything mentioned above is right on. This will be nominated for numerous oscars, from what i can tell it will be best picture, adapted screenplay, directing, score, song, actor, supporting actor for Hal Holbrook (guarentee), editing, cinamatography and possible supporting actree for Catherine Keener. I can't wait to pull out this thread in late January/Early February and say told ya so.

10/10

P.S. - heard about a 5 hour cut of the movie, hope that makes it out some day.

danstheday 10-15-07 10:25 PM

It's going wider this Friday October 19th.

woofman 10-17-07 05:52 AM

I think it opens here this Friday. :shrug:

CharlieK 10-18-07 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieK
I think you may be out of luck seeing it on the big screen.

Well, shut my mouth. Glad to see it is getting a wider release. Great movie!

caiman 10-19-07 12:10 PM

It's been out in Kansas City for a week now. I may go see it today. Sucks for you I guess.

Seantn 10-19-07 12:13 PM

As of today it is expanding into 658 theaters.

harrydoyle 10-19-07 03:20 PM

I had the same question as the initial poster, but glad to hear it's going to be wide soon. Sounds like a movie I need to see before it leaves theatres.

Zodiac_Speaking 10-19-07 05:19 PM

It finally opened here in Omaha, but I'm out of town saturday, so that leaves sunday to see something, and I think I'll see Assassination of JJ first. But next weekend will have here Lust, Caution, Darjeeling Limited, SAW 4. So it'll be tough squeezing in a 2 1/2 hr film in the week.

The Bus 10-19-07 05:20 PM

Wow... Lust, Caution playing in some theatre in Nebraska? Color me surprised.

mdc3000 10-21-07 09:26 AM

A very unique movie that is gripping, beautiful, quiet, frustrating, exhilarating, joyous and tragic. It really takes you on quite a ride and is certainly something that is worth seeing and will divide people in their thoughts.

Penn does a good job, really taking us there. The only faults I found were in a few moments of weird directorial/editorial choices that really pulled me out of the movie at a few parts. Specifically
Spoiler:
The part where Emile Hirsch looks DIRECTLY into the camera and then laughs about it like a jackass. For a movie that has worked so hard to bring us into this world to then remind us that we're seeing a false construct just seemed counter intuitive to me and the other part I felt unnecessary was the weird editing as Chris lay dying. I thought that part would have played better had they just let the sun shining through the clouds moment be intercut with him, not the weird stretched clouds stuff and the pacing of the editing felt a touch off to me...the end of that scene is beautiful, but part of it rubbed me the wrong way... a few other small moments that irked me but those were the big ones
The photography is beautiful, the score is excellent and the songs by Eddie Vedder work great within the film.

Emile Hirsch makes the role of Chris his own and really shines. Chris may not be likeable throughout, but we identify with him anyhow...how can we not, the struggle of man vs nature and man vs capitalism are themes that are universal. The other themes that come up with the family and people that Chris meets along the way also resonate and get to you emotionally, even if you don't want them to.

One of my favourite movies this year, despite it's flaws and one that will give you lots to think and talk about. Knowing this is based on a true story makes it even more powerful. A great achievement.

Quake1028 10-21-07 10:58 AM

I've expected big things from Hirsch since The Girl Next Door, which he was fantastic in. He was the best part of Alpha Dog as well. Can't wait to catch this one.

Zodiac_Speaking 10-21-07 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Wow... Lust, Caution playing in some theatre in Nebraska? Color me surprised.

Yeah, we are a pretty 'red' state. But we have plenty of liberals in omaha!

Still need to see this, my friend saw it and said it was really good.

Zbu 10-21-07 06:51 PM

I'm glad to see this movie is coming out. For a moment, I thought it was all a myth to boost that Eddie Vedder version of 'Hard Sun.'

dpz301 10-21-07 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
A very unique movie that is gripping, beautiful, quiet, frustrating, exhilarating, joyous and tragic. It really takes you on quite a ride and is certainly something that is worth seeing and will divide people in their thoughts.

Penn does a good job, really taking us there. The only faults I found were in a few moments of weird directorial/editorial choices that really pulled me out of the movie at a few parts. Specifically
Spoiler:
The part where Emile Hirsch looks DIRECTLY into the camera and then laughs about it like a jackass. For a movie that has worked so hard to bring us into this world to then remind us that we're seeing a false construct just seemed counter intuitive to me and the other part I felt unnecessary was the weird editing as Chris lay dying. I thought that part would have played better had they just let the sun shining through the clouds moment be intercut with him, not the weird stretched clouds stuff and the pacing of the editing felt a touch off to me...the end of that scene is beautiful, but part of it rubbed me the wrong way... a few other small moments that irked me but those were the big ones
The photography is beautiful, the score is excellent and the songs by Eddie Vedder work great within the film.

Emile Hirsch makes the role of Chris his own and really shines. Chris may not be likeable throughout, but we identify with him anyhow...how can we not, the struggle of man vs nature and man vs capitalism are themes that are universal. The other themes that come up with the family and people that Chris meets along the way also resonate and get to you emotionally, even if you don't want them to.

One of my favourite movies this year, despite it's flaws and one that will give you lots to think and talk about. Knowing this is based on a true story makes it even more powerful. A great achievement.

i agree with your spoilerized comment. that first seemed really weird and not needed. other than that, i really truely enjoyed the movie. it brings up a lot of good questions and was one of the more exciting and intriguing movies i have seen in awhile!

MoviePage 10-22-07 02:49 PM

Saw this yesterday. Major :up:. Multiple Oscar nominations will happen for this.

rkndkn 10-22-07 05:36 PM

I saw 4 films this weekend ("Gone Baby Gone", "Lust, Caution", "Things We Lost in the Fire" and this) and this one was my LEAST favorite. I didn't find anything particularly special about Hirsch's performance, and I had such a problem with the ramifications of Chris' actions that I just couldn't like him. Hal Holbrook and Catherine Keener were excellent.

Patman 10-27-07 08:36 PM

Idealism at its most extreme, "Into the Wild" takes us on a journey of self-discovery and self-reliance that Christopher McCandless makes after graduating from college in the early 1990's. Part of me is so practical-minded that it was hard to believe the lengths Christopher (self-renamed Alexander Supertramp) would go to to be rid of his former life of advantages, and his chains of conformity, of living to fulfill expectations of others. He definitely lived life on his own terms, but it felt a little too selfish (the impact of his absence on his family), in light of a dysfunctional homelife from his perspective. Even so, the journey is compelling viewing, and director/writer Sean Penn does a nice job with the pacing, as well as getting a strong performance by Emile Hirsch, and the supporting cast, too.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Zodiac_Speaking 10-28-07 12:33 AM

Pretty good movie, I ddin't care for the Eddie Vedder songs though.

Grade: B

hardercore 12-09-07 04:27 PM

A really powerful, thought provoking film that asks the viewer all the right questions -- about life, about decisions themselves, without force-feeding or predetermining any answers. Penn could have done with a little tighter pacing, but that was my only gripe. Needless to say, the film is filled with beautiful cinematography, colourful, fun, supporting characters and a profound, poignant ending that both surprised and amazed me.

TheMovieman 03-08-08 07:38 PM

I love the scenary and Emile Hirsch's performance was Oscar worthy but other than that, I was actually quite bored. I actually didn't care too much for Chris as a character, though I do think the message (and I don't mean it in a negative way) certainly has sustance. I really wished I liked it more, but I can't honestly say I did nor can I say I really want to watch it again.

I will say it wasn't until the final act, the story between Chris and Ron, that I really felt any sort of emotion, by then, it was really too little too late. That said, I still appreciate it for the beautiful photography and direction by Sean Penn and a excellent performance by Hirsch. I can see why others love it.

*** / *****

Flynn 03-08-08 08:59 PM

Fantastic movie. Book was better, but Penn did an excellent job putting the jumbled story together with help from the author Krakauer I'm sure. The cast was revelatory.

riley_dude 03-11-08 02:30 PM

I saw it this weekend. Loved it. It would have gone on my 2007 Best List if I had seen it.
I can't say I agree with what the kid did but it was still an intersting character study.
Intersting that Emile Hirsch is going on to play Sean Penn's Lover in "Milk."