DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Eye (Remake of the Oxide Bros flick) w/ Alba -- Trailer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/514386-eye-remake-oxide-bros-flick-w-alba-trailer.html)

RichC2 10-13-07 02:30 PM

The Eye (Remake of the Pang Bros flick) w/ Alba -- Trailer

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/No1jc7RvgCI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/No1jc7RvgCI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This movie seems doomed, it has had the fingers of 3 different directors on it (two primary, one for reshoots) and was written by Sebastian Gutierrez, ye of Snakes on a Plane, Gothika and Rise. To top that off, it is based off a fairly generic flick to begin with.

Edit: Pang bros, not Oxide, whoops.

asianxcore 10-13-07 04:12 PM

I loved the original. It was a pretty generic/predictable story line, but it had some really creepy moments.

Spoiler:
Old lady in the hospital hallway. Elevator Scene.

I usually don't like remakes, but if they can somehow make the second half of the movie better, I would appreciate that. That was probably my only problem with The Eye.

Matthew Chmiel 10-13-07 05:40 PM

According to the trailer, it seems the ending will be EXACTLY the same -- so I don't think they'll be changing anything.

I'd love to see a remake to The Eye 2 to be honest. I still like to believe The Eye 10 was never made.

maingon 10-13-07 05:49 PM

i will check it out because of Jessica Alba :) but the orginal wasnt that good, started off creepy but became pretty boring.

islandclaws 10-13-07 05:49 PM

Looks like shit. I'll stick with the (superior, I'm sure) original version. Alba seems like a sure death curse for any movie to suck these days. And I don't want to hear <i>"But she's hot"</i>. I can jerk off to her pics for free at home, so that excuse isn't going to get me to pay $10 to see her <i>not</i> get naked in a film.

Brent L 10-13-07 06:05 PM

This looks so, so horrible. I like Alba, I mean I think she's hot just like most guys do, but I'm not buying her in this role. Nope, not a single bit. Just from the trailer I can tell that she's wrong for this. That's just another thing this remake already has against it.

I love the original version in a big way. It has one of the all time creepiest moments to me ever in a movie:

Spoiler:
The scene when she realizes that what she is seeing isn't her reflection.

Rival11 10-13-07 07:14 PM

Uh, I think I'll pass on this one.

RichC2 10-13-07 07:37 PM

Oh yeah, I didn't give my thought at the beginning of the thread. I actually think it looks fairly decent, adds some visual style to the original which I wasn't a huge fan of.

Could be entertaining, granted they keep it coherent.

DonnachaOne 10-13-07 10:16 PM

Have you seen my report card?

printerati 10-13-07 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
I love the original version in a big way. It has one of the all time creepiest moments to me ever in a movie:

Spoiler:

My favorite part of the original as well.

xage 10-13-07 10:56 PM

What I like about the Original EYE (The Hong Kong Film) is that it was a LOOSE RIP-OFF of the Mothman Prophecies!

starseed1981 10-14-07 12:46 PM

Loved the original, and as much as I enjoy looking at Alba she can't act worth a damn and is horribly miscast here. This is going straight to my Netflix queue.

JumpCutz 10-14-07 01:27 PM

Looks like crap. The original was decent. Alba is awful in everything. Pass.

Giggles 10-14-07 01:41 PM

I'm not against remakes in general as most people are, it's all about how much talent and effort is put into a certain remake (recall The Hills Have Eyes for instance). But this trailer seems ordinary and mediocre. Not yet enough to judge the film though.

Legolas 10-14-07 04:32 PM

So with all the Japanese remakes of horror movies, what is Japan remaking over there? Revenge of the Nerds? Porky's? Cobra? Ice Pirates? :)

madara 10-14-07 05:57 PM

Wow it looks like an ocsar nod that always eluded her for some reason is finally in reach. Kudos

mmconhea 10-15-07 10:28 AM

I thought the grudge was laughable, but that seemed to make a ton.
Alba is a ticket sale for me and millions of other hetero men.

nateman 10-15-07 10:54 AM

A Horror/Thriller starring a fairly well known star= Terrible piece of sh*t.

Patrick G 10-15-07 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L

Spoiler:

Can you expound on this, or is there a clip anywhere?

Zen Peckinpah 10-15-07 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
A Horror/Thriller starring a fairly well known star= Terrible piece of sh*t.

Bad, but on the same page as the equally atrocious "Academy Award winning actress star vehicle horror flick" (See: Gothika, The Reaping)

Groucho 10-15-07 11:22 AM

Original was a crappy "Sixth Sense" rip-off (wasn't it shot on video?) This can only be an improvement.

redskull 10-15-07 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
So with all the Japanese remakes of horror movies, what is Japan remaking over there? Revenge of the Nerds? Porky's? Cobra? Ice Pirates? :)

rotfl rotfl Ha! Good question! I can't speak for Japan, but I was in China a couple years ago and while there we went to a movie. About half the movies playing at the cineplex were American films (Stealth & War of the Worlds are the only two I can remember).

Asian audiences don't seem to have a problem watching a subtitled film with a foreign cast the way Americans do. Or rather, like the studios think Americans do.

I for one don't get Hollywood's "must remake it for American audiences" concept. If a movie's got a good story and is well acted, who cares where it was made? It seems like a colossal waste of money to reshoot something that already exists.

FantasticVSDoom 10-15-07 12:53 PM

Man, I thought the original was pretty bad, but I guess there are always ways to top it...

asianxcore 10-15-07 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
According to the trailer, it seems the ending will be EXACTLY the same -- so I don't think they'll be changing anything

I realized that after I posted :)

Bummer. This is one of the few times where I wanted the remake to change aspects of the original.

printerati 10-15-07 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Can you expound on this, or is there a clip anywhere?

Spoiler:
The main character befriends a dying girl at the hospital where she receives her eye transplant. During recovery, the girl takes a picture of them together, and later has it developed. When the main character sees the picture, she asks the girl who is in the picture with her. The girl replies, "That's you!" (or something to that effect)