Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts
Re: PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

That trailer does not make me want to see the movie. The hero looks generic, the color palette looks generic, the action looks generic, and the crowds of CGI characters looks like Star Wars Prequels. Even the music sounds like Led Zepplin.

You would think that CGI would give movie makers free rein to create new worlds. Why do their movies all look the same?

Last edited by Nick Danger; 12-01-11 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I liked it, much better than the earlier teaser, but I do have to agree, wtf is with the Zeppelin knock-off music?
Old 12-01-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
That trailer does not make me want to see the movie. The hero looks generic, the color palette looks generic, the action looks generic, and the crowds of CGI characters looks like Star Wars Prequels. Even the music sounds like Led Zepplin.

You would think that CGI would give movie makers free rein to create new worlds. Why do their movies all look the same?
Definitely a rental for me. The trailer makes it look like an Avatar ripoff.
Old 12-01-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Looks like a cross between the 2nd Riddick movie and The Clone Wars... not good either way.
Old 12-01-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

New trailer is just as bad, maybe even worse since it was longer than the teaser. This thing is going to bomb hard. No question. I'm predicting a sub-$30m opening.
Old 12-01-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sister in law did the animation on the giant six legged gorilla thing in the beginning of the trailer. It took months of tedious work just for that one sequence.
Old 12-01-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just watched the trailer, i think i'm gonna pass. hell the rock music sounds like the Puff Daddy remix of Zeppelins Kashmir.

Originally Posted by Terrell
I'm still shocked that they bet 300 million on Taylor Kitsch. That's just downright insane.
i had to google that name
Old 12-01-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
My sister in law did the animation on the giant six legged gorilla thing in the beginning of the trailer. It took months of tedious work just for that one sequence.

Shame it was for (what looks to be )a crappy movie. That's my problem with CG. It's tedious to do, time consuming, expensive, and doesn't really do much to help if the story and acting is weak.
Old 12-01-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My biggest problem with it is the actor playing John Carter doesn't pass the eyeball test. He looks like he belongs in a a CW network show or an Ambercrombie & Fitch catalog. Too young and effete to be carrying an action movie.
Old 12-01-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
just watched the trailer, i think i'm gonna pass. hell the rock music sounds like the Puff Daddy remix of Zeppelins Kashmir.
It's definitely the same riff as Kashmir and Puff Daddy's Come With Me.
Old 02-22-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got invited to a morning screening of this tomorrow.

to seeing it early.

I have to wake up at what time again?
Old 02-23-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I just got invited to a morning screening of this tomorrow.

to seeing it early.

I have to wake up at what time again?
Cool story, bro.

Come back when you can actually report on it. Actually, that's today...

Well?
Old 02-23-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

One thing that has bugged me is why the thread title was never changed since it's not a Pixar production but a Disney production. Early on it was stated that Pixar had some of their people working on it but it is a Disney film.

Anywho, early awaiting what Matthew has to say about the movie.
Old 02-23-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
My biggest problem with it is the actor playing John Carter doesn't pass the eyeball test. He looks like he belongs in a a CW network show or an Ambercrombie & Fitch catalog. Too young and effete to be carrying an action movie.
He definitely passes the eye test for me.
Looking forward to this.
Sorry for all the haters.
Old 02-23-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Agreed. He looks like a total pussy and not someone I'd put money on to save the universe let alone a stray cat from a tree.
Old 02-23-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
He definitely passes the eye test for me.
Looking forward to this.
Sorry for all the haters.
A critique of poor casting does not qualify as "hate."
Old 02-23-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Why do their movies all look the same?
I think movies were a lot more visually interesting before filmakers were able to digitally manipulate the color palette. And decided that teal & orange were the only two colors needed for CGI action movies.
Old 02-23-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been swamped with work all day, so I don't have time to do an in-depth analysis. I might argue that its the first great film of 2012. It's been years since I've read the original series, but Stanton and company are faithful to the source material. In a nutshell:
  • The film has pacing issues within the first act, but once it finds its footing shortly after Carter's arrival on Mars, the film doesn't let up.
  • I thought Taylor Kitsch would be quite the Streisand, but he rocks the shit in this one.
  • The film looks epic and gorgeous. You can easily see where the $250 million went.
  • Don't bother with the 3D as its blessed me with a massive headache all afternoon. There are moments where the 3D looks great, but the rest is the same bullshit you've already come to expect from a post-convert.

There's a specific sequence in the film that caught me off guard, but it proved that Stanton has mastered how to tell a story from his days at PIXAR.
Old 02-23-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interest slightly piqued.
Old 02-23-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Could you elaborate on the eyeball test for me, please?
Old 02-23-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a bit boring (especially the first 20 minutesish). It had some great moments, but they would be stuffed between otherwise boring, predictable exposition. The ending was great, though.
Old 02-23-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
There's a specific sequence in the film that caught me off guard, but it proved that Stanton has mastered how to tell a story from his days at PIXAR.
I guess it says a little about what I think of the movie that I can't figure out what you're referring to.
Old 02-23-12, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
One thing that has bugged me is why the thread title was never changed since it's not a Pixar production but a Disney production. Early on it was stated that Pixar had some of their people working on it but it is a Disney film.

Anywho, early awaiting what Matthew has to say about the movie.
Well, I made a reviews thread with the correct title but screwed up the formatting in trying to make it cool like Chmiel's reviews threads. I e-mailed a mod asking how to fix it.
Old 02-23-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cartman
I guess it says a little about what I think of the movie that I can't figure out what you're referring to.
One of my favorite parts of how Stanton tells the story is that there's very little-to-no information given about Carter's past. We know he was a captain for the Confederacy during the Civil War and that's really it. Stanton uses hyper cuts throughout the first half of the film to show extremely brief glimpses into Carter's actual past and what made him the person he is today.

Spoiler:
There's a action sequence half way through the film in which Matai Shang (Mark Strong) sics a group of green martians onto Carter and his group. Carter sends his group out of harms way and attacks the herd by himself. What's first notable is that the action sequence has no sound effects and is only set to music. That's cool ...

... until Stanton decides to mash up the sequence with scenes of Carter returning home from the war to discover his wife and child have been murdered and him subsequently burying the bodies.

You wouldn't see that type of gravitas in your average, run-of-the-mill tentpole picture. However, Stanton and company have given the character and the story enough emotional weight to really pull it off and pull at your heartstrings.

Looking back, I'm glad that Stanton crafted the film to the point that the audience connects with the story or they don't. It's not a film that appeals to the lowest common denominator. There's no plot or story information that's constantly bashed over the audience's head until they understand what's happening. You either get it or you don't. In a film like this where you could easily cross the line and become incredibly cheesy due to goofy dialogue and story developments (ahem, Star Wars prequels, ahem), everything here feels natural.
Old 02-24-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quality aside, I agree with KC, this has all the earmarks of being a huge bomb.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.