Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Old 07-14-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Is Pixar even involved in this colossal waste of time? I hope not. Anybody can add in a few hokey aliens.
No, just one of the guys from Pixar is working on it.

Also, there is one good thing about it: Bryan Cranston is in it.
Old 07-14-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

As far as the lack of "Mars red" in the trailer might just be an early look that may be fixed in post later.
Old 07-15-11, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
^ Total agreement. The one noteable attempt to capture Frazetta's style on film was in animation (Fire and Ice), so I would have loved to have seen these filmmakers attempt that look in live-action with a substantial budget. But with Disney involved, we'd have never gotten Frazetta's interpretation of Dejah Thoris on screen... for obvious reasons.

People can say whatever they want about Robert Rodriguez, but at least he had the good sense to offer Frazetta the role of design consultant on the film when he was still attached to direct it.
Say what anyone will about Rodriguez but I think he knew that the film should have been made for adults. I had heard that Rodriguez downfall with the project was that he wanted Frank Miller to be a co-director of the film, but never heard that he offered Frazetta design consultant on the film. If only someone had the guts when Frazetta was in his prime to try and make a film of the books with him working on it.
Old 07-15-11, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like another Prince of Persia at first glance. Sorry if that's already been said, but it does.
Old 07-15-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378 View Post
Say what anyone will about Rodriguez but I think he knew that the film should have been made for adults. I had heard that Rodriguez downfall with the project was that he wanted Frank Miller to be a co-director of the film, but never heard that he offered Frazetta design consultant on the film. If only someone had the guts when Frazetta was in his prime to try and make a film of the books with him working on it.
I thought it was because he insisted Miller be listed as co-director and the Director's Guild said either he take Miller's name off, or he leave the guild, because of the rules. He left, but had he stayed he was going to direct "A Princess of Mars."

I think Rodriguez does some great actions sequences and I really liked that horror movie he made early in his career.
Old 07-15-11, 02:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

^ Yeah, that dispute was over the Sin City director credit. I don't believe Frank Miller was ever involved with a John Carter movie. After Rodriguez left the Guild, that automatically caused his dismissle from John Carter of Mars -- as Paramount (who were doing it at the time) had an agreement with the Director's Guild to only employ their members.
Old 07-15-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Well, representative of the film or not, that was an underwhelming teaser, and you only get the chance for a first impression once. I'm surprised they would come out with something so soon if that was all they had to show. I see some snippets of something interesting in there, but it's overwhelmed by overall confusion as to what the whole thing is about. And I'd agree Mars doesn't look alien enough - and very rarely are unfinished effects shots shown in trailers.

And in a time when we have ridiculously long titles for our blockbuster films, I don't think John Carter of Mars would've really hurt things... at least it's representative of the film. As it stands now.. well, it doesn't stand out...and that's a problem.

Last edited by Artman; 07-16-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-16-11, 07:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I'm surprised they would come out with something so soon if that was all they had to show.
Agreed. Even more troubling is that this film has been in post-production for a year and a half now. I figured they would have had something stronger VFX wise to show an audience for the initial trailer.
Old 07-16-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Title of this topic says Pixar, i couldnt find any indication on the web site or the trailer that this is Pixar, Looks like a Disney production to me.
Old 07-16-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul1957 View Post
Here you go:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Rf55GTEZ_E?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Rf55GTEZ_E?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Wow Pixar has truly pushed tthe boundaries of cgi animation!
Old 07-23-11, 01:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Looks like another Prince of Persia at first glance. Sorry if that's already been said, but it does.
that was my first reaction as well...
Old 07-23-11, 04:00 AM

Saw this the other night at Captain America and the silence was deafening for this trailer. No interest whatsoever...
Old 07-23-11, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor View Post
Saw this the other night at Captain America and the silence was deafening for this trailer. No interest whatsoever...
I'm one of those folks whose mind will wander off into bizarre territories when I'm doing something mindless, and even though I've barely given this movie much thought since seeing that disappointing trailer, for some reason earlier tonight I had a random thought pop into my head along the lines of "man, that John Carter of Mars film is really looking like a missed opportunity".

I guess it's because I was expecting full CGI like a Pixar film. I just can't get interested in something that tries to meet it halfway like this.
Old 07-23-11, 10:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor View Post
must be something about Mars, Disney got hit in the balls - hard - by the zero interest and box office tanking of 'Mars Needs Moms'
Old 07-23-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Mars looks like what I see on the drive between Phoenix and Tucson, and that's not a good thing. Not a good thing at all.
Old 07-23-11, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
must be something about Mars, Disney got hit in the balls - hard - by the zero interest and box office tanking of 'Mars Needs Moms'
I doubt any audience member who isn't familiar with the book would even know its set on Mars

It literally looks like its set in Arizona

And I like Riggins as much as the next guy, but he just looks goofy here.
Old 07-23-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I trust that Pixar developed good stuff. The calm-yet-adventerous nature of trailer is right up my alley. I'm not really into swords and scorcery. But I think that this looks excellent.

If Pixar has tackled and infused the strong emotion that I'm used to, I really don't see how I won't enjoy this.
Old 07-23-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Pixar doesn't have anything to do with this movie.
Old 07-23-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having seen this trailer several times already, the thing that jumps out is that it really doesn't call attention heavily to the fact that he's on Mars. In fact, there's little there to really suggest what the film is about at all. And, unless you're already a science fiction fan, a movie just called "John Carter" doesn't really stir the imagination. They should have straight out called it "John Carter of Mars", that, at least, gives a sense of what's happening. As is, for all anybody not in the know can tell from that trailer, it could just be a story that the Burroughs kid is reading in a book, ala "The Princess Bride".
Old 08-26-11, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it matters..but for you fans of the books...maybe this matters a bit.

<object width="600" height="453"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/44692"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/44692" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="453" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 08-26-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's a sneak peek at the White Ape attack mentioned in the clip above:
Spoiler:

Old 08-26-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Mars looks like what I see on the drive between Phoenix and Tucson, and that's not a good thing. Not a good thing at all.
Yes, agreed. I think of Mars as stormy and uninhabitable... right, wrong or indifferent, it shouldn't be like my in-laws backyard in Arizona.
Old 08-26-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw extended clips for this at D23 (Disney's Comic-Con) last Saturday. The Pixar connection is due to the Director/Writer Andrew Stanton who also helped to write the screenplays of Wall E, Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, Monster's Inc and all of the Toy Story movies. He seemed very enthusiastic about the film and talked about his love for all of the books as he was growing up. That being said, the clips were not met with huge enthusiasm and it if the clips were truly completed as he said, then Mars does look like Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona or where ever they filmed episodes of Star Trek. Not very impressive.
Old 08-26-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would gather from the objections about the trailer, that most of you have not read the source novel "A Princess of Mars." The trailer shows Mars pretty much like Burroughs described it... similar to the American southwest.

From what I've seen so far, it's obvious they've taken some "liberties" with the source material.

The book title should have stayed... IMO it sounds exotic enough to arouse the curiosity of those not familiar with EB's work. John Carter is probably the blandest title ever for a fantasy movie. However, I can understand why they changed it. Considering the abysmal BO of every movie with Mars in the title made in the past decade or so, it's not a surprise. They probably think "Mars" is bad luck. Studio honchos are such a superstitious and cowardly lot.

The nudity, but this is no surprise.

From what I've read about the movie the green Martians (Tharks) are nine feet tall. In their various interpretations, artists over the decades have played a little loose in depicting Burrough's Tharks... probably due to ERB's rather minimalist description. In the books his description is that males are fifteen feet tall; green; have large, sharp tusks; and their ears are moveable and set on top of a rounded head. Females are shorter and have no tusks. Like most of the other Martian races Tharks wear very little clothing, but there's that nudity thing again.

I'm nitpicking obviously. I can live with these sort of things. It's "liberties" with the story I'm most concerned about. A certain type of "attitude" about book/movie adaptations (that I disagree with intensely) by those making the movie has me concerned, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product.
Old 08-27-11, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The PIXAR connection goes far greater than Andrew Stanton. Stanton helped acquire the John Carter rights originally for PIXAR, but they opted not to make the film as they make films for "all ages." This would've been PIXAR's first live action film, but that didn't happen obviously (who knows if Brad Bird's 1906 will ever happen at this point either and if it'll retain the PIXAR logo when it does).

Mark Andrews, another PIXAR family member and (co)-director of Brave, helped write the final screenplay with Stanton. Jim Morris, general manager of PIXAR, is producing the film. Michael Giacchino is also scoring the film.

I wouldn't be surprised if lesser known PIXAR employees are working on the film as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.