Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Old 03-15-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

So in this thread Dr DVD. says:

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
FWIW, Depp's drawing power is sporadic as well.
And you respond:

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Are you sure about that? For example, I'll use his past ten films released to theaters.

The Rum Diary: $24 million worldwide
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: $1.1 billion worldwide
Rango: $246 million worldwide
The Tourist: $279 million worldwide
Alice in Wonderland: $1.1 billion worldwide
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: $62 million worldwide
Public Enemies: $215 million worldwide
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street: $153 million worldwide
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End: $964 million worldwide
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest: $1.1 billion worldwide

While three of those films were from an already established franchise, the only ones that could be considered financial disappointments would be that of The Rum Diary and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. One was sitting on a shelf for nearly three years before getting an impromptu wide release from a distributor who is barely a year old. The other didn't make it onto more than 700 screens in the United States, but probably made a profit for its investors as it cost under $30 million to make.

I would argue that Depp is still a draw, especially overseas where they love the man more than we do.
But in the Puss in Boots thread.....http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...8-10-30-a.html

William Fuld said:

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Johnny Depp hasn't become a bigger draw since Fear and Loathing?
To which you responded:

Since the release of the original Pirates of the Caribbean...

Secret Window: $48 million domestic
Finding Neverland: $52 million domestic
The Libertine: $5 million domestic
Sweeney Todd: $52 million domestic
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: $8 million domestic
The Tourist: $68 million domestic

While some were modest successes and others were straight up financial disasters, Depp isn't known to be box office dynamite every time he releases a movie. With the exception of Secret Window, each of the films I mentioned did far superior overseas. I'd argue that Depp's films usually preform better overseas than in America.
And then I decided to point out:

Originally Posted by andy434343
That's pretty selective in the movies that you chose to list, leaving out quite a few of his movies that earned more......like three other pirates, public enemies, and alice in wonderland.

To which you replied:

Do you even go here?

The point was to show that Depp has had flops in-between the Pirates/Verbinski/Burton collaborations.

So the whole point of all this cutting and pasting is to let you know; that YES, I go here as well.....
Old 03-15-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Movie Pass!
Old 03-15-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
So in this thread Dr DVD. says:

And you respond:

But in the Puss in Boots thread.....http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...8-10-30-a.html

William Fuld said:

To which you responded:

And then I decided to point out:

To which you replied:

So the whole point of all this cutting and pasting is to let you know; that YES, I go here as well.....
Well said. Interesting how some will only point to domestic gross as all that matters, unless of course it hurts their argument then it's everything!
Old 03-17-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Kicking a film while it's down:

Box office dropped 54% from last Friday for only $4 million. Looks like $13 million for the weekend.
Old 03-17-12, 04:08 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Kicking a film while it's down:

Box office dropped 54% from last Friday for only $4 million. Looks like $13 million for the weekend.
This is a better film than those numbers are showing. I hope they complete the trilogy regardless (wishful thinking, I know).
Old 03-17-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha burn.
Old 03-18-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes.

Disney's pricey investment suffered a 55% tumble to an estimated $13.5M giving the effects-driven 3D pic $53.2M after ten days. The drop was in line with past spring action vehicles like 300 (54%), 10,000 B.C. (53%), and Clash of the Titans (57%). Should Carter play out in a similar way it could end its domestic run a bit above the $80M mark which would be disappointing given the mammoth production cost of over $250M plus the lavish marketing push. Overseas, holdover markets saw significant declines as the weekend brought in an estimated $40.7M from 54 territories with bows in three new markets including China. That represented an overall drop of 42% from last weekend however holdover markets averaged larger declines than that. The Mars pic has now collected $126.1M internationally and $179.3M across the planet we refer to as Earth. Reaching a final global total of $375M will be very hard which is unfortunate for the studio since roughly that amount was spent to produce and market the film
Old 03-18-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
This is a better film than those numbers are showing. I hope they complete the trilogy regardless (wishful thinking, I know).
This will happen right after the sequels to The Golden Compass are finished
Old 03-19-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the movie on Fri with my son and his friend.

First, I enjoyed the movie. Loved John C growing up, so it was really cool to see him on the big screen, they could not have done a better job.

Tick me off that the theater was only showing it in 3D from day 1. I only wanted to see it in 2D, but I promised the kids we would see it and there was no turning back once we got to the theater.

Disney shot themselves in the foot for only having it in 3D in a lot of theaters, pushing something on people is not a way to make them adopt it. I may never go see another 3D movie ever as a vote against what movie chains/studios are doing.
Old 03-19-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Are you sure that was a Disney decision and not a theater decision? Sounds like something that is probably decided upon by theater owners.
Old 03-19-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I think those numbers are about accurate for this, but honestly i'd still like to see them make more to see where it goes (as someone unfamiliar with the books).
Old 03-19-12, 11:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Saw the movie on Fri with my son and his friend.

First, I enjoyed the movie. Loved John C growing up, so it was really cool to see him on the big screen, they could not have done a better job.

Tick me off that the theater was only showing it in 3D from day 1. I only wanted to see it in 2D, but I promised the kids we would see it and there was no turning back once we got to the theater.

Disney shot themselves in the foot for only having it in 3D in a lot of theaters, pushing something on people is not a way to make them adopt it. I may never go see another 3D movie ever as a vote against what movie chains/studios are doing.
I agree, on the whole it was entertaining, but not great. There were a lot of things at the beginning of the movie that really did not make sense, but once it got into a swing it was fun. What was the finished budget for this? 250 or 300 (as according to the Numbers)? Where did all that budget go to? SFX?
Old 03-19-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I agree, on the whole it was entertaining, but not great. There were a lot of things at the beginning of the movie that really did not make sense, but once it got into a swing it was fun. What was the finished budget for this? 250 or 300 (as according to the Numbers)? Where did all that budget go to? SFX?
This is what I don't get. 250 million for what? I cannot see the CGI stuff being that expensive these days. The money must be on screen as there are no big names to drag the budget under. Was it reshoots or is CGI really that much with firms like ILM and WETA fully mature and not really developing anything new?

I liked it enough that I would go to see more but then I also liked Golden Compass. Instead we get Twilight and Hunger Games.
Old 03-19-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Statement from Disney:

“In light of the theatrical performance of John Carter ($184 million global box office), we expect the film to generate an operating loss of approximately $200 million during our second fiscal quarter ending March 31. As a result, our current expectation is that the Studio segment will have an operating loss of between $80 and $120 million for the second quarter. As we look forward to the second half of the year, we are excited about the upcoming releases of The Avengers and Brave, which we believe have tremendous potential to drive value for the Studio and the rest of the company.”
Old 03-19-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

That means "no sequel", right?
Old 03-19-12, 07:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul1957
Statement from Disney:

“In light of the theatrical performance of John Carter ($184 million global box office), we expect the film to generate an operating loss of approximately $200 million during our second fiscal quarter ending March 31. As a result, our current expectation is that the Studio segment will have an operating loss of between $80 and $120 million for the second quarter. As we look forward to the second half of the year, we are excited about the upcoming releases of The Avengers and Brave, which we believe have tremendous potential to drive value for the Studio and the rest of the company.”
I somehow missed the memo that Disney is releasing The Avengers - well at least they have one tent pole summer release.
Old 03-19-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Yeah can we finally get "PIXAR" removed from the title and is it possible to fix "trilogy" to trilogy?
Old 03-19-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah can we finally get "PIXAR" removed from the title and is it possible to fix "trilogy" to trilogy?
It's been mentioned several times that it's not a Pixar movie, even way back after the thread was started.
Old 03-26-12, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SDjAClXBx1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-26-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's been mentioned several times that it's not a Pixar movie, even way back after the thread was started.
Or we could just use the reviews thread
Old 03-26-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love that movies have two threads even though they're a two-hour commitment, but the video game forum constantly battles itself over spoilers because they refuse to do the same.
Old 03-26-12, 11:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Who let you out of Video Game Talk??
Old 03-28-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Interesting article about why John Carter flopped and Hunger Games hit it big. http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/27/opinio...iref=obnetwork
Old 03-28-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh. My simple analysis is that this movie was just plain boring. Uninteresting characters, a lead actor who was obviously struggling to carry the movie. Horrible production design. It's like they took the worst parts of Krull and every other bad sci-fi movie that came out in the 80s, put it in a blender and threw it up on the screen. About 8 people walked out in the showing I went to, and I fell asleep several times during the movie.
Old 03-28-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apples and oranges.

The Hunger Games was published less than four years ago and the book is still popular with teenagers, their parents and even adults. It's fresh enough for a film to come out and annihilate the box office because it has interest from everyone; similar to when Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was released to theaters in 2001. Lionsgate was smart and struck when the iron was hot. Lionsgate also knows how to properly budget a film too. The film was made for under $90 million and cost under $45 million to print and advertise. With Lionsgate also controlling a good chunk of the film's foreign rights, I'd be surprised if they haven't broken even yet.

John Carter is based off a property more than 100 years old which most don't talk about. Disney allowed Andrew Stanton to spend over $250 million to get the film made and an additional $100 million for the film's prints and advertising budget; which most could agree that it's the most atrocious ad campaigns in quite a while for a film. While I thought the film was great, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.