Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uwe Boll = Classy...not. (Directors who publicly bad mouth their actors)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-08-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was reading the review of the Director's Cut of Alone in the Dark. It noted that in the newly recorded commentary, Uwe Boll constantly takes jabs at Tara Reid and makes fun of her and says how horrible of an actress she is. Now, is she bad? Yes. But for HIM to be saying this, it's just so...eh. Makes him look like a total asshole, which I actually didn't realize he was. I mean, i've seen Paul W.S. Anderson in interviews and while people may HATE that guy and his movies, he actually seems like a genuinely nice human being.

Uwe Boll isn't, I guess. Not to mention it's just kind of class-less to try and move the bad attention on to Reid's shoulders as a reason for the movie not working. Without Reid, the movie would have been just as bad.

I remember reading an interview with Tara Reid when Alone in the Dark initially came out. The interviewer asked her what she thought about Uwe Boll. She took the high road and didn't bad mouth him. She said "You know what, everyone deserves a second chance."

Can you guys think of other instances in which Directors take the opportunity to publicly bad mouth the people they worked with?
Old 10-09-07, 03:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uwe Boll is everything that people say about him and then some. Hell, his policy is to wait until the last second to cast and then throw some money and a recognizable name who isn't currently working, regardless of whether they're right for the part or not. How do you think their performances will ultimately turn out to be? Especially when you hear the stories about how clueless and lazy a director he is on the set.
Old 10-09-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Shes a bad actress"

This coming from a bad director?

I'm not defending Tara Reid, but being a crappy actress is far better than being an inept & mediocre director.
Old 10-09-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,097 Likes on 738 Posts
I don't know, I kinda think that someone in Hollywood giving his real opinion and not the usual, "oh so and so was such a great person to work with" bullshit is refreshing.
Old 10-09-07, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts
Do directors research the people they are casting? I would think once you get actors narrowed down with casting sessions, you'd watch something with your main actors in it to decide if they are worth a shit or not.

Hell, word of mouth should have been enough to turn him off of Tara. Unless he was looking for some action.
Old 10-09-07, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why would anybody watch Alone in the Dark anyway?

Any movie with Tara would be an instant "No, I'm not going to watch that crap"
Old 10-09-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Doesnít really bother me much, Uwe Bollís opinion has about as much credibility as Tara Reidís acting.
Old 10-09-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus

The Big Lebowski was pretty good.
Old 10-09-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's wrong with him giving an opinion? We all know that Reid is a bad actress, why shouldn't he say what we're all thinking? If he just kissed her ass, there would be people pissed off at his phoniness too.
Old 10-09-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
What's wrong with him giving an opinion? We all know that Reid is a bad actress, why shouldn't he say what we're all thinking? If he just kissed her ass, there would be people pissed off at his phoniness too.
Well, considering he's the dumbass who cast her...
Old 10-09-07, 09:40 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts
Someone needs to post the Youtube of that director yelling at Lilly Tomlin... I can't remember the movie, or the director, but it was funny as hell.
Old 10-09-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
If you watch the documentary on The Shining DVD you can see that Kubrick criticized Shelley Duvall's performance.
I guess Kubrick = Not Classy!

Seriously, I'm not defending Uwe Boll, but I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Old 10-09-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 754 Likes on 613 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Someone needs to post the Youtube of that director yelling at Lilly Tomlin... I can't remember the movie, or the director, but it was funny as hell.
Was from I Heart Huckabees.

At least when it comes to someone like Samantha Morton, who criticizes both directors and other actors/actresses, she has some footing to stand on since shes a quality actress (bitch or not). Uwe Boll can't criticize, but then he thinks he is a good director and critics just "don't get it."
Old 10-09-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Seems like people are missing the point of what I said. I didn't say "how dare someone criticize Tara Reid's acting, that's rude!".

I myself said she's bad. It's hard to not see that she sucks. I was saying that Uwe Boll was acting as if the movie being bad is pretty much all her fault, and she ruined his great film. He doesn't come right out and say that, but a lot can be implied by what he does say. Plus, i've actually seen worse acting than Tara Reid's in "House of the Dead".

I think when Boll makes a film, and knowingly hires shitty actors and makes them shout out shitty dialogue, it's pretty poor on his part to go around bad mouthing how much they sucked in his film, acting as if they hurt the integrity of the whole project.

Last edited by Seantn; 10-09-07 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clappj
Seriously, I'm not defending Uwe Boll, but I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Really? I don't. I think the government should control our opinions and erase our memories once a year to prevent us from getting out of control.
Old 10-09-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is probably going to be the only case where I give Boll some credit. Reid sucks as an actress, so good for him to point out the obvious. Granted, coming from him it means little to nothing, but I do like the fact that the guy always seems to put his money where his mouth is, even if none of that money is coming from his (weak) box office receipts.
Old 10-09-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
Seems like people are missing the point of what I said. I didn't say "how dare someone criticize Tara Reid's acting, that's rude!".

I myself said she's bad. It's hard to not see that she sucks. I was saying that Uwe Boll was acting as if the movie being bad is pretty much all her fault, and she ruined his great film. He doesn't come right out and say that, but a lot can be implied by what he does say. Plus, i've actually seen worse acting than Tara Reid's in "House of the Dead".

I think when Boll makes a film, and knowingly hires shitty actors and makes them shout out shitty dialogue, it's pretty poor on his part to go around bad mouthing how much they sucked in his film, acting as if they hurt the integrity of the whole project.
I'm sensing that you may be a closet Boll fan, and just haven't come to terms with it yet.
Old 10-09-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently the commentaries on Boll's movies are quite fun. I can't remember which film it was, but the writer spends the entire time blasting Boll for using the script for toilet paper and then filming the shit. (Maybe that's where Boll gets the idea he can trash people in commentaries.)
Old 10-09-07, 02:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

unfortunately she was also in a few episodes of 'Scrubs' - yuck!

who the hell told her she could act?
Old 10-09-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tara Reid wasn't in house of the dead. Please stop hating on Mr. Boll without even viewing his movies.
Old 10-09-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kaze0
Tara Reid wasn't in house of the dead. Please stop hating on Mr. Boll without even viewing his movies.
I think he meant that someone in House of the Dead was a worse actor than Tara Reid.
Old 10-09-07, 08:22 PM

Plus, i've actually seen worse acting than Tara Reid's in "House of the Dead".
But House Of The Dead is a brilliant film.
Old 10-10-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 142 Posts
People... Uwe Boll isn't really this stupid. He probably doesn't like to work. He probablyh doesn't know much about making movies.

But I think he just enjoys acting the way he does. I think he knowingly makes bad movies for the tax writeoffs. I think it's all kind of a *wink wink* act - crossing his fingers that someday he'll win some people over.

That is what I think.
Old 10-10-07, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"He probably doesn't know much about making movies."

What an astute observation.
Old 10-10-07, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by clappj
If you watch the documentary on The Shining DVD you can see that Kubrick criticized Shelley Duvall's performance.
I guess Kubrick = Not Classy!
But that was on set and Kubrick was telling Duvall she should be ready when the rest of the crew is too, right? That's not quite the same thing as badmouthing an actor or actress after the movie's completed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.