Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

GUILLERMO DEL TORO: "At the Mountains of Madness"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

GUILLERMO DEL TORO: "At the Mountains of Madness"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: joke

Originally Posted by Trevor
Didn't a Doctor Strange movie just come out? With Nicholas Cage?
Huh? Are you thinking of The Sorcerer's Apprentice? Not Doctor Strange.
Old 07-29-10, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Guillermo Del Toro And James Cameron Ready To Climb 'Mountains Of Madness'

I think he's being sarcastic...a sarcastic asshole...THAT's if he's being sarcastic...
Old 07-29-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Am I the only one here willing to give this news a resounding FUCK YES?

This will own as long as del Toro has final cut. Cameron coming on to produce tells me the 3D will be worth it, unlike 95% of the films that use it.
I wasn't as enthusiastic as you but it's easily my most anticipated film. FUCK YES!
Old 08-07-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audio interview with Cameron and he confirms he is producing, also lots of Avatar info. The Mountains of Madness talk is in the first 2 minutes:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...iew-talks.html
Old 08-07-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love how all it took was Cameron getting on board for this to get fast tracked. Easily my most anticipated film of 2011 (if that's when it comes out).
Old 08-08-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not wild about the 3D either, but it won't keep me from checking this out. I've been wondering what del Toro's next directing project would be since he seems to be producing quite a bit these days.
Old 08-08-10, 01:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been my most anticipated GDT project ever since he first expressed interest. One of my favorite Lovecraft stories.
Old 08-08-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fuck yes!
Old 08-09-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'll hold out hope that it's good, but it seems like whenever people try to make a feature film adaptation of Lovecraft, they stray too far from the source material. I'm more excited about the independent low-budget Whisperer in Darkness, that I believe is scheduled for completion in October. These are the same folks who made the excellent Call of Cthulhu:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pd5gWGfnK5M&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pd5gWGfnK5M&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-16-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

# How is At the Mountains of Madness going and is he mad at us about the casting story? Reveals he just finished a rewrite and turned it into James Cameron and the other producers last week. They are on week two of designs. Dennis Muren is doing the designing. Del Toro says Muren told him “you’ve never seen monsters like this.”
# 1:15 – Says if they don’t get the right budget and the right support he won’t make the movie. Talks about how influential the book was for him when he read it as a kid.
# 3:15 – Says he is going to give the script to a few Lovecraft scholars to get their input
# 3:45 – Talks about how in the book the creatures weren’t described in great detail and how it leaves a lot of room for interpretation
# 4:40 – Says he hopes this is his first horror film without interference
# 5:10 – I ask him if this is definitely his next movie. He says he is not taking on any other project right now. But he reveals the project is not yet green lit
# 5:50 – How is it having James Cameron in his corner. He talks about their 20 year friendship and how they were going to do a different project after Hobbit fell apart but del Toro gave him the script for Mountains…
# 7:05 – del Toro explains how Mountains has two big issues: it’s a hard core R rated movie and it’s a horror tentpole movie with a big budget
# 7:30 – Talks about doing a Jimmy Stewart at Universal to get the film made
# 9:00 – Talks about how there are very few filmmakers who can work unobstructed

<object width="500" height="375"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15010511&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=18c 41d&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15010511&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=18c 41d&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="375"></embed></object>

Guillermo del Toro talks AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, HAUNTED MANSION, and Reveals He's Developing 3 Video Games from ColliderVideos on Vimeo.

http://www.collider.com/2010/09/16/g...n-video-games/
Old 09-17-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it’s a hard core R rated movie and it’s a horror tentpole movie with a big budget
Music to my ears!
Old 09-17-10, 12:15 PM
Banned

It's so good to see Del Toro literally working and moving forward w/ something. The Hobbit was killing me just to see something NEW from Del Toro. He's a filmmaker I never want to see stop making movies. I want him always creating things for us.
Old 09-17-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Music to my ears!
Mine too. Unfortunately I don't believe it.
Old 09-17-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think this movie will ever get made, it has too many strikes going against it.
Old 09-17-10, 11:09 PM
Banned

If it wasn't for Jim Cameron wanting to get this thing made...I wouldn't believe in it. But...I think most studios here the name Cameron involved and something like this is ok...cuz Cameron makes money when he's involved.
Old 09-18-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ This. I think del Toro would have a VERY hard time getting this made without Cameron getting behind it.
Old 09-18-10, 07:14 PM
Banned

Totally, bro. I love Del Toro a lot. BUT he himself would have a very fucking hard time convincing anyone about the property. In fact..it'd be a sure thing they'd say no. W/ JC....it all changes. I'm soooo glad Del Toro is a friend w/ JC.
Old 03-08-11, 03:41 AM
Banned

Re: GUILLERMO DEL TORO: "At the Mountains of Madness".

Since we already have a thread on this....

I can't believe this shit:

Guillermo del Toro just can’t get a break. After years of problems pushing The Hobbit into production, Universal have just shelved his next directing gig, At The Mountains Of Madness.

Del Toro had been prepping the 3D adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s novella with producer James Cameron. But the film’s $150m budget had Universal cowering, and they pulled the plug last Friday.

Instead, they want del Toro to take on PG monster movie Pacific Rim, which is set in a near future where humanity must band together to face malevolent monsters.

Del Toro has yet to make a decision about helming Rim, but Universal are apparently keen to have that as his next project – perhaps as a cheaper test for if they’ll eventually let him make Mountains Of Madness.

Considering the masses of pre-production the director’s already done for his Lovecraft adap – not to mention that it’s in firm ‘passion project’ terrain for him – we’re sure this isn’t the last we’ve heard of Mountains. We can but hope.

Read more: Guillermo del Toro set to take on Pacific Rim | TotalFilm.com
It may seem a bit hard to believe, but things haven’t been going so well for Guillermo del Toro over the last little while. With the endless list of projects he has been producing and overseeing, he now seems to be encountering some difficulty as he tries to find a new project to direct himself. After The Hobbit fell by the wayside last year, he set his sights on an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s At the Mountains of Madness, a dream project that he had been pursuing for years. With James Cameron on board as a producer and Tom Cruise interested in starring, the project seemed like it was finally on the verge of getting greenlit. Unfortunately, we’re now hearing reports that Universal is still reluctant to finance the $150 million R-rated horror film, and del Toro is expected to move onto another project instead. That project is an original monster movie called Pacific Rim.

We first heard about Pacific Rim last summer, when it was announced that Legendary Pictures had picked it up as a pitch from Travis Beacham, screenwriter of the recent Clash of the Titans remake. At the time, the basic plot synopsis was as follows: “Set in a future in which malevolent creatures threaten the earth, the planet must band together and use highly advanced technology to eradicate the growing menace.” Later in the year, it was rumoured that Legendary wanted to take this script and turn it into a new Godzilla movie, with Guillermo del Toro in mind to direct. Although the Godzilla tie-in no longer seems to be a possibility, Deadline New York is now reporting that Pacific Rim could very well end up being del Toro’s next project.

He has supposedly asked for a definitive yes or no from Universal by the end of today, and if they don’t want to do At the Mountains of Madness he will move on. It’s still possible that Madness could relocate to a different studio (James Cameron does have a strong relationship with Fox), but it definitely throws the project’s future in jeopardy. It’s hard to say whether or not any other studios will take a chance on it, since it just doesn’t seem possible for an R-rated horror movie to do blockbuster numbers. While this new project could have potential, it’s a shame to hear that Guillermo del Toro’s passion project may never see the light of day. What do you think, does Pacific Rim sounds like a good fit for Guillermo del Toro? Is Universal doing the right thing if they choose not to move forward with At the Mountains of Madness?

via filmjunk
Old 03-08-11, 08:26 AM

PG monser movie? What's the point??

Man, I was really looking forward to this too. Bummer!
Old 03-08-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I read an in depth article in the New Yorker magazine about Del Toro and this project. It appears the whole deal breaker with this project is the insistance that it be rated R . However, the way Del Toro described his vision lead me to believe it would be more for "shocking images" than anything else. If such is the case, I think he should make the movie as intended, get an R from the MPAA, then have Cameron negotiate it down to PG-13 the way Spielberg did for Poltergeist back in the day. That way Del Toro's vision is preserved and the studio gets its PG-13 movie. One thing Del Toro was adamant about was not wanting anyone else to make this particular adaptation as he feared they might turn it into something more modern with pretty actors and FX for the sake of FX.
Old 03-08-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Just make Hellboy III.
Old 03-08-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy. Cameron makes a movie about the Titanic and it ends up being the top grossing movie in history*, and then beats that record with Avatar. You'd think after that, studios would say, 'Alright Jim, you think this Mountains thing is a good idea, we'll trust you.' The R-rated 'Hangover' almost made $300 million, and Mountains will surely be more of a spectacle than that. I really, really want to see this movie.
Old 03-08-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

I don't think that At the Mountains of Madness can be filmed. However, Pan's Labyrinth was amazing, and Del Toro would have a better shot at it than anyone else.

It's natural for the suits at Universal to be skittish about making a movie from a story where an important plot point is the inhuman, disturbing angles, the important discovery is a big mural, and the climax is a main character seeing something, but refusing to tell the reader what he saw.
Old 03-08-11, 10:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

There's a great article about this recent news on HitFix: Is it fair to blame Universal for the state of the industry today?.
Old 03-08-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

depressing news

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.