Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Juno -- d: Jason Reitman -- s: Ellen Page

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Juno -- d: Jason Reitman -- s: Ellen Page

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonic Youth is just noise? Fuck this film.
Old 01-10-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Sonic Youth is just noise? Fuck this film.

(I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but in context to the scene itself, that's pretty funny.)

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The Star Wars prequels have that beat, each with a budget of around $115 million.
Touche.
Old 01-10-08, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Using the word "gay" the way you used it isn't a colloquialism, it's a slur. That won't get you a very warm welcome around here.
Well, it has a colloquial meaning on the forum that I posted it on, which actually has a relatively large gay community. For all you know I'm gay, too. Anyway, I already said that I didn't mean to offend anyone and that I didn't intend to use it as a slur, and so I don't understand the need to bring this up anymore.
Old 01-10-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
You're both wrong - Bruce Dickinson's version is obviously the best...
Old 01-10-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dragon. It's a slur. Stop digging your own hole and move on.

As for Juno, I liked it a lot. It was fun.
Old 01-10-08, 06:35 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
gayest thread ever.
Old 01-10-08, 07:15 PM
Banned

thread is *********.
Old 01-10-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I loved it and found it's off-center stylistics to be part of its fairy-tale-ish charm. Sort of a fairy tale for the blogger generation, I guess. No, people don't talk that way, but once I got into sync with the movie's style, I enjoyed it. No one talk like Tarantino's characters either, and I think that like his films, this one will be frequently imitated. And yes, if this is "the future of screenwriting," I won't be thrilled, as it probably will be imitated by many. But as a one-time experience, I enjoyed the film. Not Citizen Kane, but for a quirky, indie-esque comedy, I enjoyed myself and found it warm, heartfelt, and funny. Or did until I read this review and this thread. Now I'm just depressed.
Old 01-10-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the movie. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it.

= J
Old 01-10-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The wife and I just arrived home from seeing this. She loved it. I thought it was quite good. **** out of five.

Great cast that was led superbly by Ellen Page.
Old 01-10-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
The wife and I just arrived home from seeing this. She loved it. I thought it was quite good. **** out of five.

Great cast that was led superbly by Ellen Page.

I saw it today as well, and I agree Ellen Page did an amazing job I think. I liked the movie, I also had given it 4 of 5 as well.
Old 01-10-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My GF and I saw it on tuesday, it was kinda packed too. Great job by the entire cast, we especially liked the girl who played Juno's friend Leah.
Old 01-10-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by pridesticks06
I saw it today as well, and I agree Ellen Page did an amazing job I think. I liked the movie, I also had given it 4 of 5 as well.

Again, if you liked Page in this, please rent "Hard Candy". She should have been nominated for that too IMO.
Old 01-11-08, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Again, if you liked Page in this, please rent "Hard Candy". She should have been nominated for that too IMO.
agreed 100%. I wish Lions Gate marketed the movie better (i saw the trailer in front of Hostel, and the trailer makes it seem like a horror movie. Although i am glad that its one of the few trailers that doesn't really give anything away, which is a rareity these days.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYBnm1xhM7I&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYBnm1xhM7I&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I think the movie opened in maybe 100 theaters tops. Granted the subject matter isn't really for everyone, but still. You can find it many times on sale for real cheap at best buy. (check the weekly sales in the bargins forum)

Really enjoyed Juno too. Am I the only one that was kinda hoping for a mini Arrested Development Father and son reunion on screen? I also really liked that it wasn't anything like "Knocked Up" except for the basic premis. Speaking Jason Bateman
Spoiler:
Anyone find some of the scenes between him and Juno a tad creepy, especially the scene where he slow dances with her, right before he reveals that he is getting a divorce.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 01-11-08 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-11-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, because typical highschoolers listen to The Stooges and reference Soupy Sales...
Who said Juno is supposed to be a "typical" high schooler?
Old 01-11-08, 02:39 AM

Yeah, because typical highschoolers listen to The Stooges and reference Soupy Sales...
How is that so impossible? Diablo cody is in her late twenties, she wasn't alive for soupy sales and she wasn't old enough to have listened to The Stooges. The biggest complaint about this movie has been the dialogue is too clever and/or unrealistic. I'm thinking that my friends and I were making fairly obscure pop culture references in high school and this was just a few years before you tube.
Old 01-11-08, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Two points.

One, Juno McGuff is designed to atypical.

Two, my cousin's a high school kid, and he's into Iggy & The Stooges, The Misfits and several other hard punk bands from I suppose now is yesteryear. Even when I went to school seven years ago, tons of kids were into the Misfits, Pink Floyd, the Who, Black Flag, the Germs... kids will naturally gravitate to that motley assortment of bands.

You're grasping at straws to find fault where there isn't any.
Old 01-11-08, 05:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You're both wrong - Bruce Dickinson's version is obviously the best...
Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden covered All The Young Dudes? I have to hear that.
Old 01-11-08, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The wife and I rented that last week - holy shit! How did I miss that the first time around!?! Great, disturbing film. I might buy it just so I can loan it out to people who haven't seen it.

Bowie's version of 'All the Young Dudes' is clearly the best.
Old 01-11-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked this movie, I thought the cast was very good. Ellen Page was great. Michael Cera is always great. I really liked the Dad. Movie was good but a little overated as some reviews are calling it best movie of the year.

I liked it though 8/10 but I didnt like the music.
Old 01-12-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Saw this with the gf last night. We were both severely underwhelmed. The theater was packed, though. We both agreed that the film was trying too hard to be quirky and self-aware. The dialogue made us cringe the most. "Honest to blog", "Shut your gob", "Phuket, Thailand"??? Who the fuck says this shit? I'll tell you who, a 30-something ex-stripper writing a film about something she obviously knows nothing about.

Juno gets pregnant, and it seems like it's not a major deal to her. She tells her parents, they don't really make a big deal out of it. The father, not really as freaked out as you'd expect. Nothing seems to matter much to these people. It's like "Oh, hey, I'm pregnant, but that's not really as important as how quirky and punk I am about it." The only character I really dug was Bateman's, and that entire sub-plot of his felt irrelevant and unresolved. Garner played her role well, but, given the nature of her character, it didn't have much soul.

There were some funny lines and situations. Our favorite were the pictures of Garner and Bateman on the walls in their house, where they're all dressed in white. You know someone out there has those exact pictures.

The ending was also disappointing. Were we supposed to feel something when she was crying in the bed? After all her punk rock bullshit I guess she's just as fake as the lines she was given. 5/10.

Without making it a review, she was just as annoying here. Why does everyone feel they need to write this chick snarky, witty dialogue? Is it the way she speaks that makes people think she should sound more intelligent and sarcastic than she probably is? Hard Candy annoyed me to no end. I was hoping Juno would change my perception of her, but it only got worse.

Last edited by islandclaws; 01-12-08 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-13-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recently saw this, and was underwhelmed by it. I agree with most that the first few scenes were absolutely cringe-inducing, dialogue-wise, as were the original songs that play throughout the film. But Cody and Reitman rightly tone it down a little for the remainder of the film, which starts to slowly work on you a little more than you expect. I give it props for going in unexpected directions, but even so, the ending didn't affect me emotionally, and taken as a whole the film wasn't nearly as entertaining as something like Little Miss Sunshine, which it seems to be drawing comparisons to (as the "little indie film in the running for Best Picture", 2007).

Overall, it gets a muted recommendation from me ... I liked it, but not nearly as much as I thought I would.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B-.

Last edited by hardercore; 01-13-08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden covered All The Young Dudes? I have to hear that.

I haven't seen this video in forever...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8cGIuTnsSc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8cGIuTnsSc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 01-18-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I thought Page was great in Hard Candy but didn't care for that movie. She didn't really standout a lot to me in Juno but I did enjoy the movie a great deal.

The dialogue didn't bother me at all, as I do know some people that talk like that and, I dunno, you grow a spine for it after a while. The pop culture references also weren't far fetched, when I was in high school there were plenty of girls like Juno, none of them got knocked up though. They all tried to be sarcastic wiseasses with a "too cool for school" (I hate that line) attitude. I think thats what the movie was trying to show, though, was despite all the coverings of a punkass, she has that same same warm fuzzy core as anyone else.

Alas, I think it's a really good movie that was done a disservice by hype.
Old 01-18-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
Alas, I think it's a really good movie that was done a disservice by hype.
Just curious, why do you think the hype did Juno a disservice? It's raking in huge cash based on hype and pretty strong word-of-mouth, pulling in folks that usually would never see this. I hated it, but would have gone anyway. It's folks like my parents that would usually NEVER go near a quirky little indie comedy, but they heard enough good things and critical acclaim that they did end up going.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.