Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Juno -- d: Jason Reitman -- s: Ellen Page

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Juno -- d: Jason Reitman -- s: Ellen Page

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 09:12 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I found a thread on "Juno's trailer". If you prefer, I will repost my question there but I doubt the moderators will let me delete the present thread.
Old 04-16-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't rewatched the movie yet, but is it possible that since 'It all started with A Chair' and not 'It all started with THAT chair', that we could in fact be talking about MULTIPLE CHAIRS.

I'm kind of disturbed that the big thing you took away from this movie was all about the history of the furniture, as it is pretty much a throwaway 'trying to be cute' aspect of the script.
Old 04-16-08, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I haven't rewatched the movie yet, but is it possible that since 'It all started with A Chair' and not 'It all started with THAT chair', that we could in fact be talking about MULTIPLE CHAIRS.

I'm kind of disturbed that the big thing you took away from this movie was all about the history of the furniture, as it is pretty much a throwaway 'trying to be cute' aspect of the script.
I' m very disturbed myself that a throwaway cute framing device turned out to be so absurd and inept it actually prevented me from enjoying the film as much as I could have. I will probably be kept sleepless for the following months with the horrible thought that there might have been MULTIPLE chairs. Is there a place where bad movie exposition devices actually have intercourse and REPRODUCE?!

The mind wobbles!

Last edited by baracine; 04-16-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
Oh?

My computer at work won't let me see that picture as it is probably linked to a "prohibited" site.
Old 04-16-08, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Its a tasteful nude of Ellen Page.
Old 04-16-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
I' m very disturbed myself that a throwaway cute framing device turned out to be so absurd and inept it actually prevented me from enjoying the film as much as I could have.
Benny, you know yourself that you're concentrating far too much on insignificant details. Next thing you'll be bothered about the correct insignia on a general's uniform, or the fact that the Joker is using a cheap knife.
Old 04-16-08, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Benny, you know yourself that you're concentrating far too much on insignificant details. Next thing you'll be bothered about the correct insignia on a general's uniform, or the fact that the Joker is using a cheap knife.
I'm still hoping against hope that someone has been observant enough while watching this film to actually make sense of that very wobbly framing device, which is far from insignificant since the script's first line is "It all started with a chair" and a considerable amount of time is spent hauling around that chair (or a lookalike of that chair) all through the film.

Last edited by baracine; 04-16-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So the pregnancy is not her framing device? The movie is Juno: The Story of a Girl and Her Chair?
Old 04-16-08, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
So the pregnancy is not her framing device? The movie is Juno: The Story of a Girl and Her Chair?
A framing device is an element of the narrative that serves to introduce the film and to close it. So, no, the pregnancy is NOT the framing device. Pregnancy is the SUBJECT of the film.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framing_device

Someone in an IMDb forum has just suggested that the baby was conceived in Juno's parent's living room. In that case, here is a plausible sequence of events:

1. Juno and her boyfriend have sex on that chair in Juno's parents' living room.
2. Two months later, Juno is pregnant. She is drinking Sunny-D in front of a lawn sale where the loony old woman (edited out of the picture) is throwing away a very similar piece of furniture.
3. Juno has her pregnancy test and goes back home to phone her girlfriend and ask her to help her move that (second) chair from its location at the lawn sale to her boyfriend's front lawn so she can confront him in the morning with her pregnancy.

Unanswered questions: How could the living room be available for sex in a household of four very active people? What did Becker or his mother do with all that unwanted furniture?

But those are unanswered questions I can live with.

Last edited by baracine; 04-16-08 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 10:08 AM

In the commentary, Diablo Cody says that moving furniture from one yard to another is something kids in Minnessota do a lot and she did it a lot in her youth - I think that's about it.

She got pregnant in a chair and then the baby's journey (in the film) ends with Vanessa's rocking chair.
Old 04-16-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Its a tasteful nude of Ellen Page.
Old 04-16-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
...or the fact that the Joker is using a cheap knife.
Old 04-16-08, 01:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I think worrying about "framing devices" in general sounds awfully boring, and an evil thing that an English teacher might want their students to know about so they can test their knowledge of something so pointless.
Old 04-16-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Just watched this on DVD...

still bothers me to this day.

That must have been hard to deal with for so long.
Old 04-16-08, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tanman
That must have been hard to deal with for so long.
It's been hell...
Old 04-16-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love Juno. But I don't like the way the film starts. Juno is staring at the chair all too seriously, drinking a gallon of Sunny D and "It all started with a chair" came off way too serious for a movie that's a lighthearted a comedy. I just think it alienates the audience too much or maybe it was just me.
Old 04-16-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I' m very disturbed myself that a throwaway cute framing device turned out to be so absurd and inept it actually prevented me from enjoying the film as much as I could have. I will probably be kept sleepless for the following months with the horrible thought that there might have been MULTIPLE chairs. Is there a place where bad movie exposition devices actually have intercourse and REPRODUCE?!

The mind wobbles!

If you dont like throwaway lines or plot holes stay away from the new star wars movies, I hear its full of them..

I thought about it but never paid any real attention to the chair, but from what I can gather from the movie, it dosent look like it had any significance in the movie.
Old 04-16-08, 08:51 PM

I didn't mind the conceit of beginning the story with a chair and using said chair as a framing device for the movie, but what DID bother me was that the chair in question was very droll.
Old 04-16-08, 11:58 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I love Juno. But I don't like the way the film starts. Juno is staring at the chair all too seriously, drinking a gallon of Sunny D and "It all started with a chair" came off way too serious for a movie that's a lighthearted a comedy. I just think it alienates the audience too much or maybe it was just me.
it was just you.
Old 04-17-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We also know/guess/deduct that the child was conceived on that chair although I'll be damned if it's clear whether this is in the boy's bedroom (highly unlikely) or Juno's house/rec room (also unlikely) or even possibly, the loony woman's house (but we're not supposed to know about that woman as she has been edited out of the film).
It's not the same chair. The chair Juno is staring at at the beginning is orange; the chair she and Bleeker do the deed in is a completely different color and pattern.

In reference to the orange chair and other furniture, Juno says something like "This is the finest abandoned living room set I've ever seen."

There is a later scene where Juno asks her girlfriend to help her move the chair (at night) from an undisclosed location to another undisclosed location which may or may not be her boyfriend's front yard so she may confront him, the following morning, with her pregnancy while sitting on that chair.
It's not undisclosed. Juno says the furniture is being moved from a Miss Ransick's front yard. Miss Ransick isn't identified, but it's presumably a neighbor who was throwing away some furniture.

It's also pretty clear that the furniture is moved to Bleeker's front yard. We see Bleeker getting dressed and microwaving his breakfast before coming out for his morning run to discover Juno waiting for him in the orange chair. I don't see how it could be anywhere but Bleeker's front yard.

As far as what Bleeker or his mother did with the furniture afterward, I can't say I see how it's relevant. I'm going to guess they put it out for the trash collector to pick up.
Old 04-17-08, 06:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It's not the same chair. The chair Juno is staring at at the beginning is orange; the chair she and Bleeker do the deed in is a completely different color and pattern.

In reference to the orange chair and other furniture, Juno says something like "This is the finest abandoned living room set I've ever seen."

It's not undisclosed. Juno says the furniture is being moved from a Miss Ransick's front yard. Miss Ransick isn't identified, but it's presumably a neighbor who was throwing away some furniture.

It's also pretty clear that the furniture is moved to Bleeker's front yard. We see Bleeker getting dressed and microwaving his breakfast before coming out for his morning run to discover Juno waiting for him in the orange chair. I don't see how it could be anywhere but Bleeker's front yard.

As far as what Bleeker or his mother did with the furniture afterward, I can't say I see how it's relevant. I'm going to guess they put it out for the trash collector to pick up.
I agree with everything here, except the chairs being very different. They were sufficiently similar that (1) I was confused about the whole thing, the storyline, the time frame, the chronology, etc. (2) Juno thought the discarded chair would be perfect for her recreation of her living room on Becker's front lawn.

She was obviously trying (though maybe unconsciously) to make him relive the moment and (maybe) stir an emotion in him - which we all know it did.
Old 04-17-08, 10:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
If I'm going to make an embarrassing, strange comment, it might as well be in a bizarre soon to be gone thread.

I have exactly one photograph surviving from my first relationship. It is a picture of me sleeping on "the couch" where "it" all began.
Old 04-17-08, 12:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trevor
If I'm going to make an embarrassing, strange comment, it might as well be in a bizarre soon to be gone thread.

I have exactly one photograph surviving from my first relationship. It is a picture of me sleeping on "the couch" where "it" all began.
Ahhhhh...

Old 04-17-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She was obviously trying (though maybe unconsciously) to make him relive the moment and (maybe) stir an emotion in him - which we all know it did.
I just rewatched a couple of scenes from "Juno" and can say for sure that the child wasn't conceived in Juno's living room. The furniture is completely different. I'm going to guess that the chair was either in Bleeker's (not Becker) living room or one of their basements.
Old 04-17-08, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I just rewatched a couple of scenes from "Juno" and can say for sure that the child wasn't conceived in Juno's living room. The furniture is completely different. I'm going to guess that the chair was either in Bleeker's (not Becker) living room or one of their basements.
It would be nice to know...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.