Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackie Chan dislikes the Rush Hour movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jackie Chan dislikes the Rush Hour movies

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
He's not alone. I (for some odd reason) have the first two movies, but they don't do much for me. I actually plan on selling them back somewhere. I used to like Tucker, but his lack of acting and increase of paycheck make me dislike the guy. He's done nothing to deserve the $20 mil he got for RH3. Chan made better movies outsdie of the US, so no complaints there. It's pretty obvious from the box office of RH3 that most people have tired of this series too.
Old 10-02-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Chan always seems like hes stuck in a time warp, refusing to change or adapt. RH 1-3 wasn't his first American movies, so he should know what to expect. I enjoy his work, but you don't see Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, etc saying they hate working here.
Old 10-02-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Chan didn't say he hated it...he said he didn't understand it. I can see an American actor doing a Chinese film and not understanding or enjoying the final product. It's a culture thing, not a "I hated doing this/working on this" thing.

"When we finished filming, I felt very disappointed because it was a movie I didn't appreciate and I did not like the action scenes involved. I felt the style of action was too Americanized and I didn't understand the American humor,"
Old 10-02-07, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure this is anything new. He's always said he never understood the success of Rush Hour and how disappointed he was when he saw it, and how surprised he was when people liked it and it became successful.

I don't think any of what he says is particularly bad. The quotes are taken somewhat out of context to make it sound more controversial. Basically he's saying different cultures appreciate different movies and while he doesn't understand American movies, he'll still make them because the audience wants them (like "The Tuxedo!"; I'm still waiting for the sequel!). In the blog, Jackie writes:

To me, it was about making another sequel for the audience around the world because in each country I travel to, someone would always ask me, “When will you film another Rush Hour?” But when I‘m in Asia, a lot of people would ask me, “When will you film another Drunken Master?” Or “When will you film another Police Story?” No one asks me about filming another Rush Hour. From what I have observed, I now understand the difference in movie tastes between the American/European audience and the Asian audience. Because of this, I choose different genres and make different types of movies according to the tastes of the audiences in different countries. I like making Asian films but they may not make it onto the big screen in America. Maybe these films will appear on video stands around USA and be successful in the video market. Who knows? The fate of a movie is heavily dependant on our different and diverse cultures.
Old 10-02-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
But what does he think of The Cannonball Run?!?!??
Old 10-02-07, 12:33 PM

You know, out of all the quotes from his blog, you'd think this one would be the more memorable:

With Brett Ratner, every time he sees me it’s like he sees his girlfriend. He kisses me all over from my cheeks down to my neck, making my face and head all wet with his saliva.

How's that for a mental image!
Old 10-02-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where is the blog anyway? I went onto the site and I couldn't find it.
Old 10-02-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by covenant
"When we finished filming, I felt very disappointed because it was a movie I didn't appreciate and I did not like the action scenes involved. I felt the style of action was too Americanized and I didn't understand the American humor,"
Well, a lot of American action scenes (with regards to martial arts) aren't anywhere near as great as ones in HK movies.

I remember watching a Jackie movie (80's movie, can't recall the title at the moment) and then I watched "Mortal Kombat" later on. The action scenes in MK were not anywhere near as good as those in the JC movie.
Old 10-02-07, 02:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cornyt
You know, out of all the quotes from his blog, you'd think this one would be the more memorable:

With Brett Ratner, every time he sees me it’s like he sees his girlfriend. He kisses me all over from my cheeks down to my neck, making my face and head all wet with his saliva.

How's that for a mental image!
[valley speak] ewww, gross [/valley speak]
Old 10-02-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love Jackie Chan movies, but Jackie is a big A-Hole. Jackie Chan complains about blah blah blah being a bad movie or being a movie for americans. What's he talking about? He hasn't made a good movie in years for Hollywood or for China. I liked The Myth, but it's still a B-movie. That's all Jackie Chan is - a B-movie star who can only act like himself. Just take your millions of dollars Jackie and shut your mouth, big baby.

And he's either stupid or pretending to act dumb not to know that the Rush Hour films revolve around humor that pokes fun at different cultures (African-American, Chinese, French, Americans, etc.).

"Me Jackie Chan, great thesbian actor, me not be subjected to Hollywood-type films anymore. Me only do respectable Chinese movies like Rob-B-Hood, the Myth, The Huadu Chronicles, The Twins Effect, etc. In China I get Chinese Oscar because I never kiss girl. Kiss girl is Hollywood thing. Me not go down to that level. Only bad actor kiss girl."

Last edited by toddly6666; 10-02-07 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fallfan
"I didn't understand the American humor," Chan said in a blog entry on his Web site seen Sunday.
What's not to understand? Don't touch a black man's radio, eel tastes better with less MSG, and 70's pop radio hits are fun to sing and dance to when you're on a stakeout.

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!
Old 10-02-07, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Where is the blog anyway? I went onto the site and I couldn't find it.
http://www.jackiechan.com/messages

click on the pictures for the blog entries
Old 10-02-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jackie is a huge Douche if you ask me. He seems to complain alot and hes not as special as he thinks he is. Everytime i see him on talk shows and such he acts as if hes this magnificent singer and people are always asking him when will he sing more, then he starts to sing and he sounds like shit.
Old 10-02-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cornyt
http://www.jackiechan.com/messages

click on the pictures for the blog entries
I think there is something wrong with my computer. The latest I see is August and I read all of them and do not see the article in question. Also, I would think this news would have to be more recent than August for it to have made headlines now.
Old 10-02-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by thegame370
Jackie is a huge Douche if you ask me. He seems to complain alot and hes not as special as he thinks he is. Everytime i see him on talk shows and such he acts as if hes this magnificent singer and people are always asking him when will he sing more, then he starts to sing and he sounds like shit.
I'm surprised nobody has posted the video of Jackie Chan drunk onstage at a Chinese concert.
Old 10-02-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I'm surprised nobody has posted the video of Jackie Chan drunk onstage at a Chinese concert.
Somebody should cuz i never seen it.....
Old 10-02-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like his Hong Kong movies better too.

I wonder if he hated the Shanghai Noon / Knights movies as as well.
Old 10-02-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by McHawkson
No. But I'm telling what HE said in First Look. If he doesn't like Rush Hour, then why did he said "I hope they will make Rush Hour 4."
HBO is owned by Time Warner and Time Warner paid to make Rush Hour

few years back there was a thread here with links to a lot of stories where actors said they did a lot of movies just for the money and a lot of people were shocked. Ed Harris even said that in Hollywood you first have to sell your soul and make movies no one will remember in 20 years and then you'll get your chance to make projects that you care about like he did with Pollock
Old 10-02-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Krusty The Clown
"They backed a truckload of money up to my house--I'm not made of stone!"
Old 10-02-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I wonder if he hated the Shanghai Noon / Knights movies as as well.
If he were to say that I'd have to disagree with him.

"Knights" even included some Jackie stunts!
Old 10-03-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
...you don't see Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, etc saying they hate working here.
"Hollywood action hero Chow Yun-fat says he hates the American way life and would never want a green card residence permit as he much prefers living in his native Hong Kong.

Chow, who has spent a lot of time in Hollywood filming movies such as Anna and the King and Bulletproof Monk, told Chinese reporters that the US has never given him a sense of belonging and he would never apply for a permanent residency visa, commonly known as a green card.

"It's not that I can't get [a green card], I've never wanted to apply for one. I can't stand speaking English every day and I certainly can't stand the different lifestyle there, let alone the type of food," he said, according to Chinese-language newspaper The Sun."
Old 10-03-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The best part about Chow Yun-Fat is that all of his American produced movies, with the exception of The Replacement Killers and some portions of The Corrupter, have been all shot outside of the US.
Old 10-03-07, 05:59 AM

Oh boy~! Where do I begin?
As much as I'd like to criticize the man, I have to remind myself that I wouldn't have gotten a translating job if it weren't for Jackie Chan. I am aware that he's getting criticism by the general Hong Kong public. (Based on the fact that I do visit Chinese forums, I'd know) But think about it, the man has never stopped making movies so you've gotta give him credit where credit is due. I can't wait till he stops his Hollywood movie nonsense so he can get back to making Hong Kong films for me to work on. I'm already a tad disappointed that I have no Jackie Chan projects for this year. Working on "The Myth" and "Rob-B-Hood" was a great privilege for me and I have Jackie, Joy Sales and the JC Group to thank for that.
Old 10-03-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Jackie obviously prefers the Hong Kong film industry because he serves as either Producer or Director and his much more creative freedom to work with the script to his own liking. I can understand that he probably doesn't enjoy working with American film producers/director's and dealing with the politics and hierarchy of the studios.
Old 10-03-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jackie Chan made some very enjoyable films, even near great for "genre" stuff, but none of them are named "Rush Hour". I'm hardpressed to criticize the guy for speaking the truth, especially when that truth is arguably against his own interest. But everyone knew that once he left the burgeoning and brilliant HK filmworld for the stale commoditization of Hollywood, that he was leaving his best work behind him. If he regrets it, then it's his own damn fault. I hope he's enjoying the money, because this late-era sellout has truly undercut his legacy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.