DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Transformers 2 (2009) - news, rumors, castings... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/512998-transformers-2-2009-news-rumors-castings.html)

devilshalo 09-27-07 01:57 AM

Transformers 2 (2009) - news, rumors, castings...

'Transformers' sequel sets 2009 date
Paramount, Dreamworks expect Bay to return
By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Paramount and DreamWorks are holding the date of June 26, 2009, for "Transformers 2," with Michael Bay expected to return to direct the sequel.
Despite the tensions between them, DreamWorks and Par have plenty of incentive to move forward with the next installment in the budding franchise. "Transformers," starring Shia LaBeouf and based on the toy robot line, has grossed nearly $700 million worldwide, giving DreamWorks its first live-action franchise.

Still, the high-profile project isn't guaranteed total immunity from the ongoing battle of wills between DreamWorks' David Geffen and Steven Spielberg and leadership at Paramount conglom Viacom.

The studios stressed that they are targeting the June 26 date, but that it isn't ironclad.

Even if Spielberg and Geffen exit their deal at Par, as they have threatened to do, the "Transformers" property stays at the Melrose lot, as do all other DreamWorks projects.

"Transformers" was a passion project for Spielberg, with DreamWorks developing the project and taking the creative lead after partnering with Paramount (that was before Par bought DreamWorks).

Spielberg, who took an exec producer credit on "Transformers," was closely involved with the film, including bringing Bay aboard to direct and LaBeouf to star. He's expected to be involved in the sequel.

Bay has not yet inked a deal to helm the follow-up but is in the final stages of negotiation. With Bay's involvement, LaBeouf is expected to return as well.

LaBeouf stars alongside Harrison Ford in Spielberg's upcoming "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," which opens May 22.

DreamWorks and Par are hoping to at least begin production on the "Transformers" sequel before a possible strike even if they have to finish after it.

Giantrobo 09-27-07 05:24 AM

Can't wait. :D

argh923 09-27-07 08:31 AM

Hoping for Shockwave and/or Soundwave. Hopefully they don't use the Dinobots...I can't see that working without being corny.

killershark 09-27-07 08:53 AM

<------ Wants to see Grimlock Smash.

pinata242 09-27-07 09:04 AM

Hell yeah Dinobots and the real Devastator! Bring on Unicron in 2011 as well.

Giles 09-27-07 09:13 AM

maybe this time round it wont be needlessly long.

Maxflier 09-27-07 11:14 AM

I wanna see the Constructicons.

islandclaws 09-27-07 11:17 AM

I enjoyed the first movie, but hopefully they learned from it what works (robot action) and what doesn't (basically any human characters). Make it around 2 hours tops and I'm game.

Toad 09-27-07 11:18 AM

Hey I missed out on the first one...what transformers are in it?

starseed1981 09-27-07 11:29 AM

Better have Grimlock in it.

HN 09-27-07 11:35 AM

I wanna see a scene similar to:

"Mm..Mm...Megatron...is that you?"
"Here's a hint" *UNT*

Giles 09-27-07 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I enjoyed the first movie, but hopefully they learned from it what works (robot action) and what doesn't (basically any human characters). Make it around 2 hours tops and I'm game.

:lol: how true.

Draven 09-27-07 01:41 PM

Since there is nowhere to go with this now-series but up, I'm willing to check it out.

Here's hoping for more, you know, TRANSFORMERS in this Transformers movie.

PopcornTreeCt 09-27-07 05:51 PM

I actually thought the opposite. The characters were interesting enough to keep me entertained while when the robots were fighting each other it was pretty much just CGI mess.

islandclaws 09-27-07 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I actually thought the opposite. The characters were interesting enough to keep me entertained while when the robots were fighting each other it was pretty much just CGI mess.

Characters? Interesting?

I think my brain just exploded.

bee_01 09-27-07 08:24 PM

The human bits got much better reactions than any of the robot scenes when I watched it in the theater.

Giantrobo 09-27-07 08:31 PM

I disagree on all your points but that's life. :D

raven56706 09-27-07 10:33 PM

i hope they dont bring grimlock... because then the people who thought the movie wasnt too serious will be disappointed again

DthRdrX 09-27-07 11:19 PM

Sounds pretty certain that the writers plan on using the Dino-bots & their enemies the Constructicons. Soundwave/Shockwave is still a mystery.

bigsoos 09-28-07 09:00 AM

just bring Megan Fox back and I'll watch anything ;)

Mopower 09-28-07 09:40 AM

How could they pull off the Dinobots without it being stupid? It works in a cartoon. Real life not so much.

RocShemp 09-28-07 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
How could they pull off the Dinobots without it being stupid? It works in a cartoon. Real life not so much.

They could do it like the UK comics. In those Grimlock and the Dinobots weren't stupid but savage. The only reason they sided with the Autobots is because Prime bested Grimlock in battle. But Grimlock was always eager for a rematch to claim leadership of both the Autobots and Dinobots. It was basically a buddy/rival dynamic.

al_bundy 09-28-07 12:05 PM

they had to use CGI because the real Transformers were busy doing something else

argh923 09-28-07 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
They could do it like the UK comics. In those Grimlock and the Dinobots weren't stupid but savage. The only reason they sided with the Autobots is because Prime bested Grimlock in battle. But Grimlock was always eager for a rematch to claim leadership of both the Autobots and Dinobots. It was basically a buddy/rival dynamic.

It would still be stupid. It's robot dinosaurs. It will be corny if they go that route.

Mopower 09-28-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
It would still be stupid. It's robot dinosaurs. It will be corny if they go that route.

Exactly.