DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Is Dane Cook's movie career (hopefuly) dying a quick death? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/512857-dane-cooks-movie-career-hopefuly-dying-quick-death.html)

cungar 09-25-07 02:50 PM

Is Dane Cook's movie career (hopefuly) dying a quick death?

Seeing the reviews (3% on RottenTomatoes.com) and lackluster box office of the latest abomination starring this unfunny jerk, could his movie career thankfully be headed down the drain where it belongs?

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/ima...8/photo_04.jpg

Lastdaysofrain 09-25-07 02:51 PM

He is this generations's Andrew Dice Clay, we all know what happened to his film career.

DVD Josh 09-25-07 02:55 PM

I've never seen a comic take a bigger dive than Dane Cook. He's young, and may yet figure himself out.

Michael Corvin 09-25-07 02:56 PM

You sure do throw around that term loosely in regards to Dane Cook... that term being "career."

Hiro11 09-25-07 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I've never seen a comic take a bigger dive than Dane Cook. He's young, and may yet figure himself out.

He's actually not that young, he's in his mid-thirties. He's apparently been a "stand up" for almost 20 years...

Drop 09-25-07 02:57 PM

His problem is he's not playing the funny man in his films. His "talent" is to be funny, yet he ignores it.

I did like him in Mr. Brooks though.

C-Mart 09-25-07 03:03 PM

Personally I have liked his movies and I really like his stand-up. I'm hoping that he continues with what he's doing.

MetalGator311 09-25-07 03:12 PM

I liked his first stand up CD, then I realized he was a shitty comic who's all gimmick no wit

EdTheRipper 09-25-07 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Personally I have liked his movies and I really like his stand-up. I'm hoping that he continues with what he's doing.

I agree. Box office success or not, I'm still enjoying the projects he's been doing.

cungar 09-25-07 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart

What year do you graduate from high school?

Daytripper 09-25-07 03:25 PM

Never liked his stand up. Haven't seen "Mr. Brooks" yet. Was in and out of the theater so I'm renting it when it comes out in October. Cook also has a supporting role in the new Robert Benton film with Greg Kinnear. He could pull of these type off rolls. And should stop with the low brow.

MasterCXtreme 09-25-07 03:27 PM

I was always a fan of his standup, but I think he could be picking better roles (with the exception of Mr. Brooks which I haven't seen). Although I did enjoy Waiting.

C-Mart 09-25-07 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
What year do you graduate from high school?

I don't really see why that would matter. I should be allowed to have and express my own opinion without being the target of ignorant stereotyping. Thank you.

FYI I graduated in 1995, and know many people who graduated before and after me that all enjoy Dane Cook.

Toad 09-25-07 03:27 PM

Don't like the guy at all. I think his stand-up is mediocre. That said, some of my friends (30-somethings who are attorneys, computer nerds, sports agents) dig the guy.

Hopefully for his sake he has a blossoming film career. I just don't see it happening.

fumanstan 09-25-07 03:46 PM

Don't care for his stand up from the small bits that i've heard, but he wasn't bad in Good Luck Chuck despite the reviews. I think he can pull off the actor stuff if he tried harder.

Draven 09-25-07 03:50 PM

I haven't bothered with any of his movies but I enjoy his stand-up, so I don't really understand the hate.

Did he kill your dog or something?

mdc3000 09-25-07 03:58 PM

not quick enough if you ask me.

FinkPish 09-25-07 03:59 PM

I think a lot of the hate comes from overexposure. I think people who were late to the party or just not interested in the first place just got sick of hearing so much about him, so the bashing began. I liked him before his stand up wasn't shown over and over on Comedy Central and his routine wasn't being done over and over by idiot college kids. I still like his stuff, but for a while I was sick of hearing him. And I don't think these roles are the right kind of thing for him.

aintnosin 09-25-07 04:00 PM

Something has to live before it can die.

Ghostface180 09-25-07 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Never liked his stand up. Haven't seen "Mr. Brooks" yet. Was in and out of the theater so I'm renting it when it comes out in October. Cook also has a supporting role in the new Robert Benton film with Greg Kinnear. He could pull of these type of rolls. And should stop with the low brow.

I saw Feast of Love (the Robert Benton movie with Greg Kinnear) last night and Dane Cook was definitely not in it. You might be thinking of Dan in Real Life with Steve Carell.

starseed1981 09-25-07 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Something has to live before it can die.

Mwahahahah.

Add me to the list that thought this guy was never, and never will be, funny.

cungar 09-25-07 04:27 PM

Also a plethora of comedians he has stolen bits from hate his guts. He has an appeal to people who like snide, egotistical assholes.

JumpCutz 09-25-07 04:30 PM

Dane Cook is just not funny to my ears.

I know this has been posted before, but I couldn't resist. This is dead on...:lol:

dick_grayson 09-25-07 04:34 PM

he'll be around forever doing that crazy face, kicking in the air shit that wasn't funny when Robin Williams did it.

C-Mart 09-25-07 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
Also a plethora of comedians he has stolen bits from hate his guts. He has an appeal to people who like snide, egotistical assholes.

Again with the stereotyping! If he doesn't appeal to you then who are you to say who he does appeal to? You know it is possible to state your opinion without disparaging other people right? You should try it.

On a side note... who has he stolen material from? (not refuting your claim, just curious as this is the first I have heard of it)