Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Dane Cook's movie career (hopefuly) dying a quick death?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is Dane Cook's movie career (hopefuly) dying a quick death?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 04:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He should just do like all other successful comics and get a sitcom where he's bitched at by a hot wife. Those things run forever, get good ratings, and will earn him more money than he'll ever need.
Old 09-25-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_Co..._and_criticism
Old 09-25-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. That's pretty interesting.
Old 09-25-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've always thought Dane was a total ass. C'mon, they released a DVD of his failed pilots. Plural. This guy can't make a sitcom, movie, stand-up routine or even a comedy cd work. I won't even pretend I know who he appeals to, but it certainly ain't me. I tried watching his stand-up one night to see what the big deal was. I kept it on (read:withstood it) for about 2 minutes before turning to reruns of The Golden Girls. The guy just IS NOT funny. He's lame. It makes me want to watch an unfiltered Robin Williams for an hour he's so bad. And that's bad.
Old 09-25-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't have an opinion of the guy because he just hasn't done anything I've wanted to see. I haven't heard any of the standup either.

All I've seen is that commercial where he talks about postseason baseball. I'm not impressed so far, but that's just a commercial.
Old 09-25-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostface180
I saw Feast of Love (the Robert Benton movie with Greg Kinnear) last night and Dane Cook was definitely not in it. You might be thinking of Dan in Real Life with Steve Carell.

Damn it. You're right (of course). My bad. For some reason those two movies are blending together.
Old 09-25-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm definitely a late bloomer even knowing who the guy is/was. I read so many posts saying how bad he tanked hosting "SNL" right here on DVDTalk (the TV forum). A few months later, I saw some stand up special he had on HBO. Must've been a 20,000 seat theater sold out (the Garden?). The crowd were roaring, but not me. He seems like a likeable enough guy. Surely his stand up makes him money (?) I think he could keep doing some low key minor supporting roles and work his way up to legit films. And stop doing crap like "Good Luck Chuck".
Old 09-25-07, 06:30 PM

I'm not a fan but then again I don't hate the guy either. I thought he was OK in 'Employee of the Month' and he was funny in his small role in 'Waiting..."

I won't go out of my way just because of him to see or avoid a film, at least not yet.
Old 09-25-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
I'm definitely a late bloomer even knowing who the guy is/was. I read so many posts saying how bad he tanked hosting "SNL" right here on DVDTalk (the TV forum). A few months later, I saw some stand up special he had on HBO. Must've been a 20,000 seat theater sold out (the Garden?). The crowd were roaring, but not me. He seems like a likeable enough guy. Surely his stand up makes him money (?) I think he could keep doing some low key minor supporting roles and work his way up to legit films. And stop doing crap like "Good Luck Chuck".
I'm kind of the same as you. I really haven't seen anything that he's done. I saw his HBO special, I chuckled a few times and got a little tired of his schtick. He seemed like a fairly likeable guy until I saw a few episodes of Tourgasm. The guy comes off like a competitive dick. The type who throws a fit when he loses, and holds a grudge when someone does something better than him.

I still have yet to seen any movie with him in it.
Old 09-25-07, 07:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by C-Mart
Again with the stereotyping! If he doesn't appeal to you then who are you to say who he does appeal to? You know it is possible to state your opinion without disparaging other people right? You should try it.
To be fair, he didn't say Cook only appeals to people who like snide, egotistical assholes, just that he does appeal to people who like snide, egotistical assholes.
Old 09-25-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
I'm not a fan but then again I don't hate the guy either. I thought he was OK in 'Employee of the Month' and he was funny in his small role in 'Waiting..."

I won't go out of my way just because of him to see or avoid a film, at least not yet.
Yes, thank you!! Too lazy to go to IMDB. That's where I've seen him in a movie...."Waiting". He was actually quite good in that. Even though it was a very small role.
Old 09-25-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't find him funny at all with his standup. Irritating actually. I would turn down a movie the instant I knew he was going to be in it.
Old 09-25-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think hes extremely funny and his stand ups are great. I think his over exporsure like someone here said is causing most of the backlash against him. We all know that there comes a point where its cool to be different and be agaisnt whatever the majority of people like or take interest to.
And alot of stand up comics talk about the same shit really. There probably just mad becuase Cook just gets more laughs than they do.
I have no problem though agreeing with the people who say his movies suck. They all seem pretty bland with the exception of Mr. Brooks and the other one he has coming out with Steve C.
Old 09-25-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoy the man's stand-up, however, his choice of film roles have been quite terrible.

Waiting... and Mr. Brooks were the only two roles I enjoyed him in as, let's face it, he DID NOT play it straight in either movie. When he's regulated to playing the straight man, it doesn't work as his MO is being silly.
Old 09-26-07, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain

This is where I'm at, as well. I don't find his stand up funny at all, but the two movies above were decent.
Old 09-26-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't really see why that would matter. I should be allowed to have and express my own opinion without being the target of ignorant stereotyping. Thank you.

FYI I graduated in 1995, and know many people who graduated before and after me that all enjoy Dane Cook.

i also grad in '95 and think he can be funny. He should stop making love stories. Actually, they should just stop centering comedies around sappy relationships all together.
Old 09-26-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I have liked his movies and I really like his stand-up. I'm hoping that he continues with what he's doing.

I saw Dane Cook perform live a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. However, after watching him more I quickly jumped off the bandwagon. His jokes aren't that funny and he gets by with a lot of yelling/cursing/physcial humor that I don't find too humorous. I also have 0 interest in his movies.

But... Good for you C-Mart. These movies get made because enough people enjoy them to make it worthwhile to make it. I know that a movie forum is made to bitch about movies and actors and thats fine. But obviously there are enough people that enjoy Dane Cook to see his movies and for those that don't like them, just stay away. If his movies bomb then they'll go away on their own.
Old 09-26-07, 08:26 AM

His first CD (Harmful if Swallowed I think?) is downright hilarious, one of the funniest stand-up performances ever, IMHO. Unfortuneatly I don't really care for anything he did after that.
Old 09-26-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
He is this generations's Andrew Dice Clay, we all know what happened to his film career.
But The Adventures of Ford Fairlane is sooooo bad it's almost a masterpiece. "Booty time! Booty time! All across the USA!"

I like him a lot in Waiting, but then again he wasn't the lead and his boss was Luis Guzman.
Old 09-26-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can thank MySpace for making Dane Cook popular.

I don’t think he’s funny & he doesn’t really have a ‘film career’ so it’s kind of hard for it to die, since he doesn’t have one to begin with. He looks & sounds like a jerk but I'm starting too not hate him as much because he hasn't been shoved down are throats like Carell has been, as of late.
Old 09-26-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
You can thank MySpace for making Dane Cook popular.

I don’t think he’s funny & he doesn’t really have a ‘film career’ so it’s kind of hard for it to die, since he doesn’t have one to begin with. He looks & sounds like a jerk but I'm starting too not hate him as much because he hasn't been shoved down are throats like Carell has been, as of late.

I just noticed that Dane Cook is in Steve Carell's latest movie. Good reason to not see it. Looks like Carrell is going the Robin Williams route taking every script that's tossed his way.
Old 09-26-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I wouldn't even know who he is except for the amount of webhate he seems to get lately. I have no use for myspace, and have never enjoyed standup much. His movies so far aren't the kind I tend to watch either.

Still, he seems fairly attractive and likeable from a distance... Unless his personality is a huge turnoff--and it sounds like it might be--I'd be inclined to forgive mediocre acting. Nobody much cares whether Alba or Biel can act for shit.

Last edited by adamblast; 09-26-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 12:29 PM

I could care less if people don't like Dane Cook as a comedian. But what irritates me is this attitude that they're right and anyone who thinks he's funny is wrong. Comedy is subjective. Always has been, always will be. There is no right or wrong.

So hate him all you want. Just don't tell me I'm wrong for thinking he's funny. (And, for the record, I thought Employee of the Month sucked, as did his HBO special. Haven't seen any of his other movies.)
Old 09-26-07, 12:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Dane who - his fifteen minutes were long gone..
Old 09-26-07, 01:06 PM

Never heard of him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.