Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office-9/14-9/16/2007-"Jodie's Got a Gun" edition

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office-9/14-9/16/2007-"Jodie's Got a Gun" edition

Old 09-16-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Billy Bob's "School for Scoundrels" opened up last summer with a very similar gross (almost 9 million) and it only made about 17 million overall.
Old 09-16-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by anyanka323

Rush Hour 3 is a BO disappointment. Hopefully there won't be Rush Hour 4.
"RH3" is just 7 million shy of what the first "RH" grossed. Sure, that only had a 33 million budget. "RH2" grossed 226M with a 90 million budget. So in terms of box-office, it's no "RH2". But it also probably won't earn it's money back with a 140 million budget (!!) What the hell cost so much?
Old 09-16-07, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
"RH3" is just 7 million shy of what the first "RH" grossed. Sure, that only had a 33 million budget. "RH2" grossed 226M with a 90 million budget. So in terms of box-office, it's no "RH2". But it also probably won't earn it's money back with a 140 million budget (!!) What the hell cost so much?
Didn't Chris Tucker get $20 million, I thought I read that somewhere. And I'm sure Ratner and Chan got a lot of money too, maybe another $20 plus between them.

According to Boxofficemojo, it's done $62 million internationally so far(still hasn't opened in Taiwan, I would assume that would be a big market), so $195 total. When all is said and done, probably $225 million or so, so I would guess they would make a little bit of money, especially with dvd sales factored in. But given the big drop from RH2, I doubt there will be another sequel unless Tucker's asking price comes down big time.
Old 09-16-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
New Line still has The Golden Compass coming out in December. It's going to be a much harder sell to the general public than HP, Narnia, and LOTR because the books appeal to a more niche audience than the others. It's also a very expensive film $205 million due to being in development since 2002 and the special effects, plus marketing costs. It's going to have to make at least $250 million in the US to justify New Line's investment and for the rest of the trilogy to be made.
Another problem for The Golden Compass is that the author of the original novel, Philip Pullman, is a known atheist and uses the books in the Dark Materials trilogy (of which The Golden Compass is the first book) to rail against Catholicism and Christianity in general. That right there will cause all kinds of problems in much of the USA.
Old 09-16-07, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Nice to MR. WOODCOCK doing much better than expected. Hopefully this means that Billy Bob will be doing more comedy roles instead of all the dramatic serious stuff he always does.
You are joking right.
Old 09-16-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
You are joking right.
Joking on two counts, I hope. The gross was pretty lame and he mainly seems to be focusing on comedies these days.
Old 09-16-07, 08:04 PM
Banned

^Yeah.... "Quit makin oscar Winnin' shit like Sling Blade and Monster's Ball and make more movies like School For Scoundrels and Mr. Woodcock!"
Old 09-16-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can see the TV spots for next week...

"Mr. Woodcock, it's the #1 movie in America with 'cock' in the title! 'Billy Bob Thorton's best comedic role since School For Scoundrels' says Entertainment Weekly! 'Barely passable' says Roger Ebert! See it today before it gets released on DVD next month!"
Old 09-16-07, 08:40 PM
Banned

TV Spot #2 :
"America Loves (Wood)COCK! Come see the film that FINALLY came to theatres after being delayed numerous times over the past few years and barely avoided The Fate of DTV."

Just kidding and i actually prob. will end up seeing this (on DVD which will prob. be sooner rather than later actually) cause I actually do enjoy him even though i do wish he'd start to do some stuff with a bit more substance.
Old 09-16-07, 08:52 PM
Cool New Member

Another problem for The Golden Compass is that the author of the original novel, Philip Pullman, is a known atheist and uses the books in the Dark Materials trilogy (of which The Golden Compass is the first book) to rail against Catholicism and Christianity in general. That right there will cause all kinds of problems in much of the USA.
That element sounds like it may have been toned down based on interviews with Nicole Kidman who said she wouldn't have done the film if the script could be perceived as anti-Catholic.
Old 09-16-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Hairspray has held up extremely well for them, and Rush Hour 3 did ok I suppose, but other than that...you're right, I just looked at a list of their movies for the year and there aren't any big ones among them.
Bob Shaye is a fucking moron and doesn't know how to run a movie studio properly.

They've had lots of films that actually might've been able to pull in some money in theaters if released through their independent division (Picturehouse, previously Fine Line) if Shaye could pull his dick out of his ass and not sit on them for years and not sending them directly to DVD. Havoc, Cheats, Normal Adolescent Behavior, 11:14, and the list goes on and on. How can shit like Code Name: The Cleaner, The Last Mimzy, Son of the Mask, and Dumb and Dumberer get full blown theatrical releases YET their better films either go right to DVD or piss poor theatrical releases (Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle comes to mind).

I'm still waiting for a Final Destination 4 to be greenlit (why it hasn't yet is beyond me as the last one was a fucking cash cow for the studio).
Old 09-16-07, 10:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That element sounds like it may have been toned down based on interviews with Nicole Kidman who said she wouldn't have done the film if the script could be perceived as anti-Catholic.
However, even in the toned-down form a lot of Christians still know well about the anti-Christian tone of Pullman's work, and that won't fly with the Catholics and evangelicals in much of the USA, sad to say.
Old 09-17-07, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
How can shit like......... The Last Mimzy......get full blown theatrical releases

Well....you know who directed it, right?
Old 09-17-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Michael stalking a bevy of French maids, I'd watch that sequel.
Oops. Can’t spell worth sh*t.

That actually would make a good plot for a new Halloween movie. I’m sad that they haven’t blasted Michael off into space yet.

I’m waiting for Jason, Myers, Freddy, Chucky, Nosferatu & the Creature from the Black Lagoon too team up for a comedy/drama film about 6 ‘past their prime’ horror villains who have trouble finding work. Talk about Academy Award Winning material!
Old 09-17-07, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Not pretty for Dragon Wars.
Not pretty for Korea.. after spending $70 million dollars, marketing in North American shore and years of shooting only to come up with a very poor CGI film and a very poor boxoffice result...
Old 09-17-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eiker_ir
there was a sequel to the TCM remake
As well as The Hills Have Eyes remake, which was entitled...The Hills Have Eyes II (no relation to the original's original same-named remake)
Old 09-17-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xage
Not pretty for Korea.. after spending $70 million dollars, marketing in North American shore and years of shooting only to come up with a very poor CGI film and a very poor boxoffice result...
It's worldwide box office take is over 60 million and counting, it's not as big of a disaster as it may seem.
Old 09-17-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Wow, Halloween is sinking like a stone. A large stone. In a shallow pool. Not that it's unexpected given the horrific word of mouth. Oh well, it's already got enough bank to warrant a sequel. Pretty dismal weekend overall.

This flick will make a killing on DVD.............
Old 09-17-07, 02:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
It's worldwide box office take is over 60 million and counting, it's not as big of a disaster as it may seem.
I guess American's in general don't like dragon movies - this and Eragon do well internationally, but fail in the states.
Old 09-17-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Effects movies do better overseas where the fatigue hasn't set in quite as much. Both Eragon and D-War deserve to tank as they're terrible films.

D-Wars is better if you aren't particularly good at English as the acting likely wouldn't seem so awful.
Old 09-18-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JaxComet
This flick will make a killing on DVD.............
No Kidding, They’ll probably be like 5,000 copies at each store when it’s released.