Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Poltergeist 25th Anniversary (One Night Only) Oct 4th

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will you go see Poltergeist on Oct 4th?
Most definitely!
21.62%
Probably
18.92%
Not sure
18.92%
No way!
40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Poltergeist 25th Anniversary (One Night Only) Oct 4th

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
The closest theater showing this in my area is a 1 1/2-2 hour drive.

Still thinking about if I want to go or not.
Old 09-25-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I saw it in the theaters when it first came out. Saw it twice, actually.

I'm fine with the DVD at this point. Great movie, though. VERY freaky the first time through...
Old 09-25-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Just watched this movie for the first time in years about a year ago....and I felt like it held up really well. Unlike most movies of the 80's. Very classy and scary movie.
Old 09-26-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with these showings is that they don't seem to be using the same digital delivery method as they do with new releases.

For example, my local theater plays new releases in DLP form that look stunning on the newest digital projectors (the same ones set up for Real D).

However, for these type of showings (such as HALLOWEEN) last year, they used the much older digital unit they run the "pre-shows" with before 35mm film showings. The quality is awful, much worse than 35mm film and way lower than 2K+ digital presentations. HALLOWEEN looked awful last year, like a DVD or even VHS blown up. They advertised it as HD but it looked far from it.

I'd love to see a 35mm print of POLTERGEIST on the big screen again, or a high quality digital presentation, but I won't pay to see it beamed in by satellite in such poor quality.
Old 10-01-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Playing 3 miles from my house in Los Angeles. I'm definitely going.
Old 10-01-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
The problem with these showings is that they don't seem to be using the same digital delivery method as they do with new releases.

For example, my local theater plays new releases in DLP form that look stunning on the newest digital projectors (the same ones set up for Real D).

However, for these type of showings (such as HALLOWEEN) last year, they used the much older digital unit they run the "pre-shows" with before 35mm film showings. The quality is awful, much worse than 35mm film and way lower than 2K+ digital presentations. HALLOWEEN looked awful last year, like a DVD or even VHS blown up. They advertised it as HD but it looked far from it.

I'd love to see a 35mm print of POLTERGEIST on the big screen again, or a high quality digital presentation, but I won't pay to see it beamed in by satellite in such poor quality.
I agree with Steve.

When I saw Coachella: The Movie about a year and a half ago, it was basically a satellite feed projected on a large screen. It looked like shit and easily a waste of $10 (besides the fact that the documentary sucked on top of that). The only time they actually busted out a 35mm print was for their preview screenings of The Descent (before it's theatrical release). That I was extremely happy about, but Regal decided to attach a 20-minute Fangoria featurette on the flick before the movie started which NEARLY FUCKING RUINED the movie.
Old 10-04-07, 09:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Just got back from a screening of this, and was very dissapointed. The film was shown in the wrong ratio. It looked like it was shown in a 1:85 ratio, but it still did not take up the whole screen. During the opening, and ending credits, it went to a letterboxed 2:35 ratio. If they are going to charge 10 dollars for one of these screenings, it should at least be shown correctly.
Old 10-05-07, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
Just got back from a screening of this, and was very dissapointed. The film was shown in the wrong ratio. It looked like it was shown in a 1:85 ratio, but it still did not take up the whole screen. During the opening, and ending credits, it went to a letterboxed 2:35 ratio. If they are going to charge 10 dollars for one of these screenings, it should at least be shown correctly.
And even worse, the "Poltergeist" scenes in the after-movie waste-of-time about real poltergeists WERE in 2:35 OAR.

Last edited by zaphod2467; 10-05-07 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And to think I was a little upset I decided to pass on this last night. Good move on my part it seems. I can't believe this is how they show one of the greatest ghost films of all time. Blasphemy.
Old 10-06-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to see it as well, and while I noticed the obvious flaws (although I didn't mention them to my cousin), I was happy with it for the most part.

Then again, that's more than likely because when I tried to pay they couldn't get my bank card to swipe, something wrong with their machine, so they went ahead and just let me watch it for free.
Old 10-08-07, 05:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I saw this the other night. Easily the worst presentation of a movie that I can ever remember seeing at a theater. I also noticed the correct ratio in the "special feature" garbage they showed after the movie. They didn't even turn the lights down until a good 5 minutes into the movie. I should have just left then.
Old 10-10-07, 09:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Totally forgot to go to the screening in my area, now I'm glad I missed it though.
Old 10-10-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now I'm *really* glad I didn't go.
Old 10-15-07, 04:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
After getting back from the screening, I emailed Fathom Events to express my dissapointment at the film being shown in the wrong ratio.
This is the email that I just recieved from their customer service:

Dear Jordon,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration for future event offerings. We are sorry for your disappointment in our recent Fathom Events presentation of Poltergeist on October 4, 2007. It is always Fathom’s goal to provide a truly unique and exclusive experience each and every time. In order to preserve the historical value and integrity of the presentation, our studio partners chose to provide Poltergeist to us in a specific format to compliment the commentary at the end of the movie. The aspect ratio delivered was 1.85:1. Going forward, we will ensure that the right expectations are set with our customers.

Thank you again for feedback and we do hope to see you at another event hosted by Fathom in the near future.

Fathom Events

Besides the fact that they spelt my name wrong (a small pet peeve), do you think that WB and Speilberg actually gave Fathom a film in the wrong ratio?
Old 10-15-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I give my humble apologies for anyone that went because they heard about the showing due to this thread. If I knew it would be such a sub-par presentation, I would never have brought it to anyone's attention.
Old 10-15-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fathom’s goal to provide a truly unique and exclusive experience each and every time.
Yea, its unique allright..a piece of shit unique!