DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/511464-indiana-jones-kingdom-crystal-skull.html)

digitalfreaknyc 12-13-02 02:14 PM

is there an echo in here? I keep hearing the same questions.

NO...he said he WOULD be. They talked about how they can't deny the age difference and the script would account for that.

Pants 12-13-02 02:28 PM

BTW, Harison Ford did appear as the character in an episode of Young Indiana Jones. He had a beard, and was the incarnation of the character at, I'd guess, 55 years old. So the character has been done as an older man before. I think it will be cool

Dudikoff 12-13-02 04:19 PM

Ford is actually looking pretty damn good for being 60. I'm a heterosexual man, but come on, some actors don't age nearly this good. Arnold is aging terribly. Mel Gibson and Tom Hanks are getting rounder and rounder as we speak. They aren't even 50 yet. Harrison still looks about the same as he did in Indy 3. I'm glad they are gonna do another one. You can't beat the classic old school action movies. Please, please Mr. Spielberg, easy on the CGI!!!

CitizenX 12-13-02 04:48 PM

How long can the Depends response not be used for a joke?

Ron-P 12-13-02 04:55 PM

From today's WSJ. Apparently Spielberg wants to release the Indiana Jones movies separately and Paramount wants an all or nothing box set. See below.

Wall Street Journal
December 13, 2002

By TOM KING

Inside Talk on 'Indiana 4,'
Aliens -- and Miramax

"Catch Me If You Can," the new Tom Hanks and Leonardo Di Caprio caper that opens Dec. 25, might well be the title for the director's memoirs.

This year, besides "Catch Me," Steven Spielberg directed the Tom Cruise thriller "Minority Report," and executive produced "Men In Black II." Along the way, he picked up an Emmy for HBO's "Band of Brothers" and executive produced "Taken," a mini-series that received the highest ratings in the history of the Sci-Fi Channel. All this while keeping his day job as a partner at DreamWorks SKG. He also squeezed in time for a spat with Miramax boss Harvey Weinstein, whom he's tangled with before.

Last week, Hollywood Journal sat down with the 55-year-old Mr. Spielberg for a discussion of everything from the status of "Indiana Jones 4" to his thoughts on why "Minority Report" wasn't much of a blockbuster in the U.S. Here are excerpts:

Q. Based on a true story, "Catch Me" is about a high-school-aged con artist who passed himself off as a lawyer, a doctor, even an airplane pilot. How did you bring your own take to this story?

A. When I was in high school, I disguised myself as an executive, put on a suit and tie and walked past Scotty at the main gate at Universal Studios. I'd wave to him and he'd wave to me -- but my briefcase was empty. I spent five days a week for three months of my summer vacation at Universal learning the ropes, learning how to edit, dub, and watching directors direct. In a sense, doing that gave me some insight into what Frank Abagnale did for three years of his life before he was 18 years old.

Q. Once again, this latest film finds you teamed with Mr. Hanks, star of "Saving Private Ryan" and your producing partner on "Band of Brothers." Why do you gravitate toward him time and again?

A. The amazing thing about Tom is that he takes on the identity of the characters he plays. When the camera fades in on Tom's face as Michael Sullivan in "Road to Perdition," you don't think of Forrest Gump. He doesn't carry the baggage of Captain Miller from "Saving Private Ryan" when he plays Carl Hanratty, the FBI agent in "Catch Me If You Can."

It doesn't take the audience 15 minutes to get adjusted to the new character he's playing. It's instant acceptance. That's the incredible thing that Tom has, and I think it's a gift even beyond his own abilities. We're talking about making another movie together in November of 2003, after he finishes the Coen brothers' film next summer.

Q. Speaking of upcoming projects, what's the status of "Indiana Jones 4"?

A. Frank Darabont (writer of "The Green Mile") is writing the screenplay as we speak. We're looking to start production in May of 2004 and come out for the July 4th weekend 2005.

Q. "E.T." is finally out on DVD after a long wait. Fans of Indiana Jones are hoping "Raiders of the Lost Ark" won't be far behind, but Paramount is mum. Can you fill us in?

A. We're aiming for next fall. George Lucas and I are having an argument with Paramount. Paramount wants to come out with all three [Indiana Jones] movies in one package. George [writer and producer of "Raiders"] and I want to come out with one film at a time and then come out with all three movies, and maybe even the fourth one, in one package later. (Paramount says there is no argument and discussions are ongoing.)

Q. Last week, the mini-series "Taken" charted the highest ratings ever in the history of the Sci-Fi Channel. Why alien abductions? Why cable TV?

A. You know, I did it for selfish reasons. It's a story I've wanted to tell for many years, but I certainly can't make a 20-hour movie about alien abductions. The Sci-Fi Channel sort of began showing the worst movies, like "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and "I Married a Monster From Outer Space." But over the years, [USA Networks boss] Barry Diller [has] done just a great job. I said to Barry, "I'd like to play with your channel, do you mind if I do something for it?"

Q. "Minority Report" has so far taken in nearly $200 million overseas, and it just opened last weekend in Japan. But in the U.S., the movie stalled out at about $130 million. Do you have a theory on why it wasn't bigger here?

A. I think people in Europe are more interested in films that challenge them. They're more interested in movies that twist their brains. "Minority Report" is a murder mystery, and not the easiest thing to follow. You have to really focus on the movie and pay attention to it. If I had to do it over again, I still would have released "Minority Report" in the summer. But what I might have done is have it come out in May, instead of the end of June. At the beginning of the summer, when the audience is really much more revved up to try everything, as opposed to the end of summer, when audiences' thinking is, "OK, prove it."

Q. You were known to be irritated when Miramax announced a Dec. 25 release date for the year's other big Leonardo Di Caprio movie, "Gangs of New York," the date you had previously staked out for "Catch Me If You Can." Why do you think Harvey Weinstein did that?

A. I don't know. I don't know Harvey. I've met Harvey, but I've maybe actually talked to him only eight times in nine years. I'm not one to spread hearsay, so I wouldn't have any comment about the things I've heard. I can only say I don't know what motivates him. (Miramax finally moved the film up five days to Dec. 20.)

Q. Another Oscar campaign season is beginning, and studios are spending big bucks on ads to lobby Academy voters. Fox is aggressively pitching "Minority Report." What's your feeling on the spending at this time of year?

A. I think it would be great to hire John McCain to look into this. Since he has not succeeded in campaign-finance reform on the Hill, Hollywood should recruit him to do Academy campaign reform. Maybe he could help us set some spending limits.

Peace Out~:D

cooper2000 12-13-02 05:17 PM

I hope they bring back Karen Allen. She was sorely missed in the sequels.

sherm42 12-13-02 05:27 PM

OMG. Was that actual concrete info on the Indy DVD? I think so. It's about time we here something directly from Spielberg on the subject. Personally, I don't care how they come out as long as they are done with great transfers.

JoeyOhhhh 12-13-02 09:42 PM

I gotta side with Paramount on the DVD issue, although a box set like Godfather would piss off quite a few people.

Sunday Morning 12-13-02 11:02 PM

Ok, so I will be the one who says it.

So who's going to supply harrison ford the ben-gay after he attempts to pick up his whip?

Mr. Cornell 12-13-02 11:27 PM

It seems plenty likely that we could be looking forward to a "Young Indiana Jones" style thing in which Sean Patrick Flanery (from the "Young Indiana Jones" TV show) reunites with his old man, now, well, old, and stuff happens. Done right, it could be just as amusing as the father/son combination of Harrison Ford/Sean Connery in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".

ipkevin 12-14-02 12:09 AM

Just please be the same friendly, bemused Indiana Jones from before. I have a bad feeling Ford is going to want to do that self-righteous Jack Ryan thing he's always pulling now.

"How dare you come in here and bark at me like a junkyard schnauzer. I am the reichsfuhrer of the German army!"
"No, how dare YOU, sir!!"

Christo 12-15-02 05:07 AM

now he's the ancient relic

actually, i'm fairly confident they can put together a good movie and i'm looking forward to it.

DVDHO 12-15-02 06:57 PM

Indy is more of a treasure hunter and can get away with being old,he's not the Terminator or a super hero and I think Ford can do a good job if he gets a good script for his age.

Get Me Coffee 01-13-03 11:08 PM

Indiana Jones 4 Story Complete

Indiana Jones 4 Story Complete
Monday, January 13, 2003 1:08 CST

Fox News is reporting that George Lucas has finished the story for Indiana Jones 4...

Many interesting things came out of last night's annual New York Film Critics Awards dinner. For one thing, Star Wars creator George Lucas told me that he wrote the story for Indiana Jones 4 last summer and expects to shoot it sometime this year with Steven Spielberg.

Frank Darabont is reportedly still the screenwriter on the film.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

GL wrote it huh? I guess we'll see Jar-Jar replace Shorty and CGI Nazis.

greatjedi 01-14-03 12:43 AM

Uh, Lucas wrote the stories for all three previous Indy movies. He just didn't write the screenplays.

Rogue588 01-14-03 12:49 AM

Please let there be a good screenwriter. Please let there be a good screenwriter. Please let there be a good screenwriter.

Groucho 01-14-03 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Please let there be a good screenwriter.
Read the first post. It's Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption). Before becoming a film director he wrote for "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." I think he's qualified.

Rogue588 01-14-03 01:05 AM

Originally posted by White Knight
Frank Darabont is reportedly still the screenwriter on the film.

Originally posted by Groucho
Read the first post. It's Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption). Before becoming a film director he wrote for "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." I think he's qualified.
I did. It's the "reportedly" part that scares me...

WiccanPagan 01-14-03 01:31 AM

i can't believe studios have so much money on the brain that they are willing to possibly ruin an EXCELLENT (really excellent since i don't capitalize anything) thing. the indy trio is arguably the best one ever made (i would probably give it my nod under lotr and the original star wars), yet they are definitely ruining the trilogy aspect of it, unless people are set to ignore 4 completely (i may take this route). i just hope this is not a very weak continuation to the series as we have seen with star wars ep 1 and 2 (2 much less than 1) and godfather 3 and maybe even jay & silent bob strike back (might as well be called cameos for every person popular during filming).

please don't suck. please don't suck. please don't suck. please don't suck. please don't suck. please don't suck.

Josh-da-man 01-14-03 06:03 AM

So, I wonder what it is?

Area 51?
King Solomon's Mines?
Shangrila?

DeputyDave 01-14-03 08:32 AM

Well, I figure since there is no way they can realistically hide that Indy is SEVERAL years older it would have to take place in the late 50's or 60's. They will probably keep the religious icon theme as well..

Geofferson 01-14-03 08:43 AM

:up: for Frank Darabont. Good choice!

jdpatri 01-14-03 09:22 AM

...at the very least, they're retaining the same formula that made the first three successful... I'll definitely expect good things until proven otherwise.

Scot1458 01-14-03 09:27 AM

seeing as how the 2nd and 3rd ones really don't compare to Raiders, I say go for it.

das Monkey 01-14-03 10:49 AM

I hear the scene where Indy fights the badguys from atop a Dewback is going to be Luca$' best work.

das