Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 03:24 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Salah, round up a couple of wheelchairs, we're breaking out of this nursing home tonight."
Old 08-31-06, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, the marketing for this has already begun. I spotted Ford at the Emmys the other night with one of the skeletons from Raiders in tow.
You're fucking horrible.

I'd expect that from Conan or Letterman or something.

Wow.
Old 10-20-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Harrison Ford: I'm still 'fit' to play Indiana Jones
POSTED: 3:52 p.m. EDT, October 20, 2006

ROME, Italy (AP) -- Harrison Ford says he feels "fit to continue" to play Indiana Jones despite growing older.

Ford, 64, said at the inaugural Rome Film Festival on Friday that he was delighted to team up again with directors Steven Spielberg and George Lucas for the film. Lucas co-wrote and executive produced the earlier films, which Spielberg directed.

"We did three films that stay within the same block of time. We need to move on for artistic reasons and obvious physical reasons," Ford said at a news conference. "I feel fit to continue and bring the same physical action."

"Indiana Jones 4" has been in development for over a decade, but the production has recently gained momentum. Lucas has said he and Spielberg, who would direct, are working on a script, though no details have been disclosed.

Ford played Indiana Jones in 1981's "Raiders of the Lost Ark," 1984's "Temple of Doom" and 1989's "The Last Crusade." In the last film, Jones' father was played by Sean Connery, who Ford said might also appear in the planned fourth feature.

"He's part of the emotional fabric of these films. I think there may be an opportunity, I believe that Sean is still willing and I'd be delighted if he joined us," said Ford.

Connery, who attended the Rome event last week, has said that no offer had been made.

Ford declined to provide details about a shooting schedule or film locations, adding that the directors were not yet finished with the script.

"I think it's a real opportunity to make a film as successful ... as the ones we've made before," he said.
Old 10-21-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as he's at the helm, I'll hold out hope...
Steve is untouchable. If this movie sucks, they'll find a way to blame it on Lucas, even though he's not writing the script or directing.

But this film still won't get made.
Old 10-21-06, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doughboy
So basically he's saying our expectations are too high, so he'll just make a really sh-tty movie since there's no way of living up to them. Good attitude, George. Then again, the prequel trilogy was a travesty and fans still ate them up, so it's not exactly like he needs to try anyway.
I don't think that's what Lucas meant at all. I think that all he was saying was, no matter how good of a movie they make it's going to get crapped on by critics and fans. Because I mean honestly that's a lot to live up to, just like the new "Star Wars" movies. I mean that's like coming out with "Blade Runner Part II," even if Scott, Ford, Young & Olmos were back, there would be major pressure on them. And they would still get shit for it. I think people are kind of overblowing what Lucas said cause people have a vendetta against him.

I'm a little tired of people shitting all over Lucas. Yes, some of what he did with the original trilogy was silly, but I mean honestly. It's like it's become the thing to hate Lucas now and it's actually getting pretty tiresome in my opinion.
Old 11-08-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I heard on the radio today that Lucas has pulled the plug on the new Indiana Jones movie. Wonder if this is true? I found this article on the internet:

http://www.cinematical.com/2006/11/0...int-happening/

Darabont on Indy 4: It Ain't Happening

Pretty soon we're going to be referring to it as Indiana Jones and the Most Talked About Film That Was Never Made. Well, that's if you listen to writer-director Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption). Let's recap, shall we: Way back when, Darabont was asked to pen a draft of Indy 4, which was rumored to revolve around Indiana Jones searching for UFOs or something like that. It sounds a little cheesy, but at the same time Steven Spielberg loved Darabont's script, so much so that he said it was the "best draft of anything since Raiders of the Lost Ark." Of course, Darabont was ecstatic -- I mean, after ten years of planning, the flick was finally going to get made ... and with his script. Wonderful. Fabulous. So what went wrong?

Says Darabont in a recent interview with CHUD, "And then you have George Lucas read it and say, 'Yeah, I don't think so, I don't like it.' And then he resets it to zero when Spielberg is ready to shoot it that coming year, [which] is a real kick to the nuts." Tell me about it, Lucas seems fond of kicking a lot of folks in the nuts ... mainly his biggest fans. Go figure. When asked whether or not he feels Indy 4 will ever happen, Darabont shot back, "I don't think so. I don't think so." But, honestly, it sounds like someone had their ego bruised real bad. After his script was tossed out like that, I wouldn't be surprised if Darabont was secretly throwing down voodoo curses on David Koepp's current draft.

However, George Lucas also needs to step off his extremely high horse and trust someone other than himself. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon, and I bet any amount of money that this delay is due to Lucas and his so-called perfectionist personality. What do you think -- will the film ever get made? Do you still care?
My thought is that a sequel is about 15 years too late. It would've been great if it came out in the early 1990s.
Old 11-08-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
My thought is that a sequel is about 15 years too late. It would've been great if it came out in the early 1990s.
Yep, even 95 or 96 - Spielberg had a few yrs off between Schindler and Lost World then, Lucas wasn't yet in production on TPM.... Ford did... Sabrina.
Old 11-08-06, 11:13 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
I heard on the radio today that Lucas has pulled the plug on the new Indiana Jones movie. Wonder if this is true? I found this article on the internet:

http://www.cinematical.com/2006/11/0...int-happening/
that article's just about how lucas pulled the plug on darabont's script, which happened a couple years ago, and how darabont feels about it; nothing about the latest developments with david koepp.
Old 11-08-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I kind of figured that, but I noticed the article was dated yesterday. Maybe that old story has started a false rumor.

Last edited by rennervision; 11-08-06 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-08-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think Lucas is still hung-up on his "Haunted House" idea for Indy IV. It's a shame the UFO thing didn't fly with him...Indy being involved with Roswell would have been a nifty idea (and fit nicely into the age Indy should be for this new film).
Old 11-08-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think Lucas is still hung-up on his "Haunted House" idea for Indy IV. It's a shame the UFO thing didn't fly with him...Indy being involved with Roswell would have been a nifty idea (and fit nicely into the age Indy should be for this new film).
definitely agree. I would've loved to see this idea filmed as an Indy movie
Old 11-09-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Must.have.Nazis.
Old 11-10-06, 05:09 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I can't remember a filmaker that has gone from god status to the biggest jerk in such a short time, and I think George Lucas is turning into that now. This guys ego is so bloated, he has reached the status of overrated now. I hope Indy IV doesn't happen now, cause I am afraid of seeing Jar Jar Binks as Fords sidekick for the whole movie.
Old 11-11-06, 11:21 PM

I can't remember a filmaker that has gone from god status to the biggest jerk in such a short time, and I think George Lucas is turning into that now. This guys ego is so bloated, he has reached the status of overrated now.
Please spare us the psycho-analysis of George Lucas. You've never even met the man, so you know nothing about him. Why you allow the decisions of a filmmaker to affect you so is beyond me.

Darabont was asked to pen a draft of Indy 4, which was rumored to revolve around Indiana Jones searching for UFOs or something like that. It sounds a little cheesy, but at the same time Steven Spielberg loved Darabont's script, so much so that he said it was the "best draft of anything since Raiders of the Lost Ark."
If Darabont's script was actually about Indy investigating UFOs and aliens in the 50s, then thank God Lucas shitcanned the script, because that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. One, it doesn't fit the character at all. Two, it sounds corny as hell. Three, it wouldn't fit at all with the other three films. If it doesn't fit with the other three films, it's a pointless endeavor. You might as well have done a remake. Besides, another Indy film is a pointless endeavor period. It is nothing more than a cash-in with a too old Harrison Ford. If they had wanted another Indy film, which Lucas didn't seem to want, they should have done it 10 years ago.

The only story that might have fit was Indy searching for Atlantis or another historical artifact.

Indy being involved with Roswell would have been a nifty idea
Actually, it's a stupid idea that doesn't fit the Indy universe at all. Lucas may not be able to write a screenplay worth a damn, but he's never lacked in judging a good story.

Last edited by Terrell; 11-11-06 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by coli
I can't remember a filmaker that has gone from god status to the biggest jerk in such a short time, and I think George Lucas is turning into that now. This guys ego is so bloated, he has reached the status of overrated now. I hope Indy IV doesn't happen now, cause I am afraid of seeing Jar Jar Binks as Fords sidekick for the whole movie.
I wouldn't say he's a jerk...but I would say he's NOT an artist...at least not the way Speilberg and others are. Lucas is more CEO than filmmaker...more of a marketeer than someone with creative ideas. He should really just stick to heading up ILM and PRODUCING movies than trying to write and direct them.
Old 11-13-06, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Please spare us the psycho-analysis of George Lucas. You've never even met the man, so you know nothing about him. Why you allow the decisions of a filmmaker to affect you so is beyond me.
Non-Anamorphic DVD's released in 2006 = Jerk

I am not psycho-analyzing George Lucas, I am just saying the man has lost touch with a huge part of his fanbase now, and it has ZERO to do with the PT movies.

If people hate the PT so be it, I hate Rocky IV & V, and probably will hate Part 6 next month, but Stallone didn't fuck with Rocky I, and then say the original version from 1976 doesn't exist anymore.

Personally I like George Lucas as a guy outside of SW, everytime I see him in interviews he is a stand up guy who is very humble in his riches, and I always liked the fact that he raised his kids and isn't some Rich Big Wig who walked out on them like every Hollywood actor or director.

But when it comes to SW and the O-OT, the man is like the Emperor and his arrogance is his downfall to a hell of alot of fans like myself. I see the Superman boxset coming out that has every fuckin version in High Quality DVD standards circa 2006, even including the Donnor Version.

With Lucas, we get laserdisk quality for the three versions of the OT that made him the Emperor. Isn't that the ultimate irony?

Last edited by coli; 11-13-06 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What DOES Lucas owe his fanbase by the way? How exactly is he 'out of touch'?? These whiney bitch-fests about a director who's brought some pretty damn good movies to the theater are agonizing.

It makes me now ashamed to be a fan of these films, because sadly, as a Star Wars fan now...it's become as durogatory in the public eye as being a 'Trekkie' once was.

Should directors now send out comment cards as to how to improve his films in the future??
Old 11-13-06, 05:22 PM

I am not psycho-analyzing George Lucas, I am just saying the man has lost touch with a huge part of his fanbase now, and it has ZERO to do with the PT movies.
Lucas the filmmaker doesn't have much of a fanbase. Star Wars is what has the fanbase. Besides, have you taken a hard look at the Star Wars fanbase? Being detached from these people, of which I'm regrettably a part of, is probably not a bad thing. In fact, Lucas probably prides himself on being detached from this group.

He should really just stick to heading up ILM and PRODUCING movies than trying to write and direct them.
He should really do whatever he wants to do. Why? He's forgotten more about filmmaking than anyone on this forum will ever know. Besides, his films and work pretty much dispute the notion that he's not an artist, and has no creative ideas.
Old 11-13-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
What DOES Lucas owe his fanbase by the way?
How about a little appreciation and respect for the people who made him rich and gave him the opportunity to do everything he's ever wanted to do?

Treat them like they matter - like their opinions and feelings matter. He hasn't done that when it comes to the OT. Personally, I don't get it. If there was a huge fanbase that made me a success and ALL they really wanted was the original versions of the movies that made me a success in their original forms I'd give it to them without hesitation.

Should directors now send out comment cards as to how to improve his films in the future??
No, but directors should recognize that if they are going to ALTER their movies after they've already been hits that they should ALSO keep the original versions around for the fans who prefer the originals.

When it comes to making "improvements," that's completely up to the director. It's his baby, let him do what he wants with it - as long as he doesn't start that, "The original versions no longer exist because I said so," crap.

And to release them in non-anamorphic widescreen when he does bother to put it out? That's just a slap in the face.
Old 11-13-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wa wa wa wa. get a life
Old 11-13-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Hey, I'm not all that worked up about the whole OT treatment thing anymore, but Lucas missed out on 3 purchases from me because he chose not to go anamorphic on the OT.

Like he'd ever miss the money anyway...
Old 11-13-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Back to the topic, I do agree with Darabont that this film will probably never see the light of day. If they *don't* start production in the next 6-12 months, they need to just hang up the whip. For good.
Old 11-14-06, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Lucas the filmmaker doesn't have much of a fanbase. Star Wars is what has the fanbase. Besides, have you taken a hard look at the Star Wars fanbase? Being detached from these people, of which I'm regrettably a part of, is probably not a bad thing. In fact, Lucas probably prides himself on being detached from this group.
You know what makes me laugh, this 'fanbase' is so bad that we have supported Lucas for 30 years now, so please spare me that you don't want to be associated with this fanbase.

All 6 SW movies are the most successful movie franchise ever. Did you check out Matrix Revolutions box office gross? A huge part of that fanbase checked out after Reloaded. Did you check out Back to the Future III gross, same situation.

Sure the internet is full of complainers, including myself sometimes, but the internet does not represent the MAJORITY of SW fans.

I will ask you was there this hatred before the SE? I know I never had anything against Lucas before he started saying shit like, "Sorry you fell in love with a half-completed movie." or in 2004, "I am not going to take the time to remaster the OOT, if you want it, go buy it on VHS."

It isn't about the PT movies, it isn't about the changes of the OT, it is about a simple respect to the fanbase that built his empire and just putting those versions out in a nice quality 2006 transfer, rather then 1993 laserdisk quality.

I am not saying for Lucas to send us a thank you card and expect us to return it and say, "We love you George!" It isn't about that, it is about public relations, and how a certain fanbase has been pushed aside cause they just want one lousy DVD release that is topnotch quality.

Terrell, are you telling me that Lucas didn't exasperate the negativity from alot of fans like me by putting out non-anamorphic laserdisk versions of the OOT in September?

Just think if he put it out with the 2004 quality style transfer, I would buy them, and probably buy backup copies, and say, "Thank you George, it has been a great ride, and walk away satisfied." But now we still have to wait and see if ol George will throw us a bone.
Old 03-30-07, 07:51 PM
Suspended

Ray Winstone is set to play his sidekick this time around. Looks like a good cast.
Old 03-31-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Hey mods, can we get this post merged with this one? I think it will keep things more organized. Thanks.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488034

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.