Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jane Fonda, time for a new agent

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I had the misfortune of sitting through most of "Georgia Rule" last night. Huge mistake and I have no one to blame but myself. Still, holy hell, what an absolute piece of shit that was. The writing and acting were abysmal. I expected the direction to be. Garry Marshall is one of the biggest hacks in movie history IMO. But what was Fonda thinking? First "Monster-in-Law" and then this gem. THIS is why she came out retirement!? Lousy rom-coms and dramedies?? She's better than that. Back to "Rule", avoid at all costs. Even free on cable or network television.
Old 09-07-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's tough for an actress in her 50's or 60's to get A-list work nowadays. Just look at Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Susan Sarandon, etc. The types of roles they used to play have now gone to Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, and the like.

Hollywood seems to find places for its aging male stars, such as Nicholson, Deniro, Pacino, and Hoffman, but not as much work for the actresses. It's been a common trend for the past 15 years or so.

Last edited by NitroJMS; 09-07-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-07-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Yes but Meryl Streep (Adaptation, Devil Wears Prada) is still getting fantastic roles, as is Glenn Close (Damages is fantastic, even if it isn't a movie.).

Theres no excuse for Fonda to be in this shit, but I've never really been a fan of hers to begin with.
Old 09-07-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yes but Meryl Streep (Adaptation, Devil Wears Prada) is still getting fantastic roles, as is Glenn Close (Damages is fantastic, even if it isn't a movie.).

Theres no excuse for Fonda to be in this shit, but I've never really been a fan of hers to begin with.
And Sarandon is quite busy too. Not consistently great roles. But at least she's working.

Also, not a fan of Fonda as a person. But she has some amazing work on her resume. Including "Klute", "Coming Home", "Julia", "The China Syndrome", "Agnes of God" and "The Morning After". And she's a two time Oscar winner. Again, she's much better than these two shit movies.
Old 09-07-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
I had the misfortune of sitting through most of "Georgia Rule" last night.

What did you do? Lose a bet?
Old 09-07-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I saw a commercial the other day for the DVD release of Georgia Rule and they made absolutely no mention of Lindsey Lohan at all. Even all the clips they showed were just Huffman and Fonda. I thought it was a fairly interesting marketing strategy after the whole Lohan debacle in the last month or so.

Back on topic, I had the misfortune of sitting through Monster in Law when it first came to DVD and it quickly jumped to one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. Truly horrible. I haven't seen Georgia Rule and most likely won't but Fonda deserves much better than what she's getting.

However, it could be worse. I've recently seen Peter Fonda on late night infomercials selling sets of 60's music CDs. Youch!
Old 09-08-07, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I bet it was her agents idea for her to go on the Colbert show and rape him on national television!

Then again, I'm sure Mickey Avalon's song is a nice little cushion of cash for her to not have to take the roles. So it's not like she HAS to work or anything.
Old 09-08-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, I bet it was her agents idea for her to go on the Colbert show and rape him on national television!

Then again, I'm sure Mickey Avalon's song is a nice little cushion of cash for her to not have to take the roles. So it's not like she HAS to work or anything.

Or the sales from her workout tapes/books from the 80's and her recent biography. And maybe part of the inheritance from her dad (?) Anyway, I agree with NitroJMS. Hollywood probably isn't knocking down her door with better scripts. But at least go the Meryl Streep route. If you have to do fluff, do decent fluff like "Prada". Or don't work at all. If they had rewritten that the two younger kids were her grandchildren, I could definitely see Jane in that role.
Old 09-09-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't just come out of retirement and start taking great roles. Look at Demi Moore.
Old 09-10-07, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't matter. In my mind, she'll always be Barbarella