Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
What problems? Order of the Phoenix was the best Harry Potter film aside from Azkaban, and was exponentially better than the horrid adaptation of Goblet of Fire.
WOW! I actually agree with everything you said.
Old 07-10-09, 01:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
Interesting. My view is quite the opposite. I consider Goblet of Fire the worst of the movies because the book — my favorite of the series — was abridged out of all recognition. Some friends, who hadn't read the later books, were confused by it and didn't care for it either. GoF should have been made into two movies, as they reportedly are doing for book seven.

Order of the Phoenix was my least favorite of the books — the angry Harry stuff got tedious — but became my favorite of the movies, thus far. In the case of that movie, the abridging of the book helped it and I also liked that the visuals and audio were first rate. The
Spoiler:
wizard duels and the fight between Voldemort and Dumbledore
makes for great high def home theater material.

I also found that
Spoiler:
the death of Sirius, Harry's reaction, and the insane evilness of Bellatrix Lestrange (the wonderful Helena Bonham Carter)
worked very well for me. And the casting and performance of Luna Lovegood (newcomer Evanna Lynch) was pitch perfect. I also really enjoyed
Spoiler:
Fred's and George's showy farewell to Hogwarts.

For me, there just wasn't anything I didn't like about the movie.

The trailers make Half-Blood Prince look as if might be as good as Order of the Phoenix. It has become my most anticipated movie of the Summer. I guess I'll find out soon.
I completely agree. Goblet of Fire is the best of the books, and it seemed like Kloves had no idea what was important. Why have the journalist in there if you're not going to have the resolution of her subplot? That's the most immediate example I can think of, but there's a ton of stuff that made it into the movie that has no resolution in the movie, and things that are paid attention to that aren't that important, and so on.

Order of the Phoenix, on the other hand, took everything that was good about the book, condensed it, and made it work as a movie. The only other Potter film that works as a movie unto itself is Azkaban. The rest are all just the books put on screen.
Old 07-10-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I've never read the books but Azkaban is my favorite movie, followed closely by Order of the Phoenix. I purchased Goblet of Fire blind (I missed it in theaters) and was sorely disappointed.

Why have the journalist in there if you're not going to have the resolution of her subplot?
There was more to her character and an actual payoff in the book? She amused me but she was gone almost as quickly as she arrived. What was her purpose in the book?

I know there's another payoff a friend of mine who read the books let me know of.
Spoiler:
He mentioned that the headmaster of the Bulgarian's hightailed it out of there and left his students high and dry when he was outed as still serving Voldemort.
Old 07-10-09, 02:07 PM
Banned by request

IIRC, the journalist starts rumors that Hermione and Harry are dating and she gets her comeuppance at the hands of Hermione, although she does appear in later books.
Old 07-10-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting. My view is quite the opposite. I consider Goblet of Fire the worst of the movies because the book — my favorite of the series — was abridged out of all recognition. Some friends, who hadn't read the later books, were confused by it and didn't care for it either. GoF should have been made into two movies, as they reportedly are doing for book seven.

Order of the Phoenix was my least favorite of the books — the angry Harry stuff got tedious — but became my favorite of the movies, thus far. In the case of that movie, the abridging of the book helped it and I also liked that the visuals and audio were first rate. The
Spoiler:
wizard duels and the fight between Voldemort and Dumbledore
makes for great high def home theater material.

I also found that
Spoiler:
the death of Sirius, Harry's reaction, and the insane evilness of Bellatrix Lestrange (the wonderful Helena Bonham Carter)
worked very well for me. And the casting and performance of Luna Lovegood (newcomer Evanna Lynch) was pitch perfect. I also really enjoyed
Spoiler:
Fred's and George's showy farewell to Hogwarts.

For me, there just wasn't anything I didn't like about the movie.

The trailers make Half-Blood Prince look as if might be as good as Order of the Phoenix. It has become my most anticipated movie of the Summer. I guess I'll find out soon.
I guess it's just me. I didn't like the climax of Order of the Phoenix in the movies, and felt Sirious' death didn't come off as shocking as it should have, nor Bellatrix's actions. For some reason when reading the book the run through the Ministry felt more epic then it showed on screen.

I've only read the books through once, so I don't remember everything from them anymore so I guess i'm not very picky about just seeing the books on screen.
Old 07-10-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What problems? Order of the Phoenix was the best Harry Potter film aside from Azkaban, and was exponentially better than the horrid adaptation of Goblet of Fire.
Yeah I agree with this... Of course I did make the mistake of re-reading GOF before seeing the movie and I think that hurt the movie even more. Didnt do that with OotP and won't with HBP.
Old 07-10-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I've only read the books through once, so I don't remember everything from them anymore so I guess i'm not very picky about just seeing the books on screen.
Good strategy, that's what I generally do too when it comes to seeing movies based on books that I've already read.
Old 07-10-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
There was more to her character and an actual payoff in the book? She amused me but she was gone almost as quickly as she arrived. What was her purpose in the book?
Not sure if it needs spoiler tags or not but better safe than sorry.

Spoiler:
Hermione discovers that she is able to transform into a ladybug. She's an Animagus like Sirius, Lupin, Pettigrew, and J. Potter were. This was how she was getting information from key conversations without being detected. At the end of the book Hermione catches her in a jar. She later agrees to let her out (possibly not til book 5 -- can't remember) but promises to report her to the ministry as an unregistered Animagi if she doesn't toe the line.

That's her arc in book 4 as best I can remember.
Old 07-10-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know why we're spoiling things from previous stories.

Continuing on with what Nefarious said, they use that knowledge in OotP to get the true story out via The Quibbler while all the main channels are being censored about Voldemort's return.
Old 07-10-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, guys.

I'm cool with keeping things spoilered from previous movies since it's been widely discussed a lot of things never made it into the movies. You never know what reveals from previous books might be relocated the remaining movies.
Old 07-10-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IIRC, the journalist starts rumors that Hermione and Harry are dating and she gets her comeuppance at the hands of Hermione, although she does appear in later books.
I think the main purpose of her character in the books was the fact that all those stories she wrote influenced the people who inevitably made Harry's life miserable in the fifth book. Then, of course, she makes amends for that in the fifth book.
Old 07-12-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I've never read the books but Azkaban is my favorite movie, followed closely by Order of the Phoenix. I purchased Goblet of Fire blind (I missed it in theaters) and was sorely disappointed.

I know there's another payoff a friend of mine who read the books let me know of.
Spoiler:
He mentioned that the headmaster of the Bulgarian's hightailed it out of there and left his students high and dry when he was outed as still serving Voldemort.
My recollection is different from that of your friend WRT to the Bulgarian headmaster, Karkaroff.
Spoiler:
IIRC, he decamped because he had NOT helped Voldemort return to corporeal form and was afraid of retribution, with good reason — Voldemort is quite vicious to lackeys who fail him. It was the fake "Mad-eye" Moody (Crouch's son, Barty, a fanatic Deatheater who even kills his own father) who engineered Harry's winning of the tournament and subsequent capture by Voldemort. There's way more to this story that wasn't in the movie. Barty Crouch escaped from Azkaban with the help of his father and terminally ill mother (who took his place via polyjuice potion), again IIRC. The pedantic Percy Weasley views the elder Crouch, his boss at the Ministry of Magic, as a straight arrow and role model, not knowing his secret. Barty Crouch escapes his home confinement, captures the real "Mad-eye" Moody, and assumes his identity, at the behest of Voldemort.
And so forth. Book 4 is filled with subplots that are ignored in the hurried "CliffsNotes" movie version of the story. To many folks who hadn't read the books, the movie made no sense. I didn't like it because it gave short shrift to some of my favorite parts of the book. SM mentioned one above: Hermione's outwitting and capture of the horrid tabloid journalist Rita Skeeter after Skeeter had made her life miserable.
Old 07-12-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

My recollection is different from that of your friend WRT to the Bulgarian headmaster, Karkaroff.
Spoiler:
IIRC, he decamped because he had NOT helped Voldemort return to corporeal form and was afraid of retribution, with good reason — Voldemort is quite vicious to lackeys who fail him. It was the fake "Mad-eye" Moody (Crouch's son, Barty, a fanatic Deatheater who even kills his own father) who engineered Harry's winning of the tournament and subsequent capture by Voldemort. There's way more to this story that wasn't in the movie. Barty Crouch escaped from Azkaban with the help of his father and terminally ill mother (who took his place via polyjuice potion), again IIRC. The pedantic Percy Weasley views the elder Crouch, his boss at the Ministry of Magic, as a straight arrow and role model, not knowing his secret. Barty Crouch escapes his home confinement, captures the real "Mad-eye" Moody, and assumes his identity, at the behest of Voldemort.
And so forth. Book 4 is filled with subplots that are ignored in the hurried "CliffsNotes" movie version of the story. To many folks who hadn't read the books, the movie made no sense. I didn't like it because it gave short shrift to some of my favorite parts of the book. SM mentioned one above: Hermione's outwitting and capture of the horrid tabloid journalist Rita Skeeter after Skeeter had made her life miserable.
You do remember correctly, lizard-- at least WRT
Spoiler:
the reason Karkaroff fled
Old 07-12-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Is anyone going to any Midnight Showings?

More importantly is anyone dressing up? I know myself and a couple of my friends are
Old 07-12-09, 05:03 PM
Banned by request

Got my tickets for midnight, but I'm not dressing up. Not after last year, when I went as Gandalf was beaten mercilessly.
Old 07-12-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got my tickets for midnight, but I'm not dressing up. Not after last year, when I went as Gandalf was beaten mercilessly.
You should go as
Spoiler:
Snape (spoiler, I guess)
. You'll be perfectly safe.
Old 07-12-09, 06:36 PM
Banned by request

No, I'm going to go as Dumbledore as he was in his younger days. According to Rowling, he looked something like this:

Just need to tape a unicorn horn to the head of the horse and I'm set!
Old 07-12-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Perhaps I just misrecalled what my friend told me. I haven't seen him since then and was telling me a boatload of stuff from the different books up to that point.

Originally Posted by pinata242
You should go as
Spoiler:
Snape (spoiler, I guess)
. You'll be perfectly safe.
Old 07-13-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can someone explain to me what the hell is Gandalf doing in the Harry Potter films?
Old 07-13-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Can someone explain to me what the hell is Gandalf doing in the Harry Potter films?
I would imagine that's exactly why he was beaten mercilessly. Nerd wars get intense.
Old 07-13-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No no no no no no.

<hr>

Also, where's the reviews thread for this?
Old 07-13-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Is anyone going to any Midnight Showings?
No. I'm seeing it in five hours.
Old 07-13-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
No. I'm seeing it in five hours.
Early screening?

Man, do I feel embarrassed asking if anyone was dressing up for the Potter premiere

I recently got addicted to the series. I'm a little half-way through Deathly Hallows right now. Oddly enough it's taken me a long time to read the books for the first time.

Either way, my friends and I are dressing as Death Eaters. Ordered the masks and everything.