Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I LOVE Tombstone!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I LOVE Tombstone!!!

Old 09-04-07, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I LOVE Tombstone!!! (spoilers inside..)

This movie is just extraordinary.

I can't get tired of it. It's perfect - and the actors really make the movie. Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday is just PERFECT. The storyline is incredible - Wyatt Earp: So run, you cur, run!!! Tell all the other curs the law is coming! You tell them I am coming and Hell's coming with me, you hear!! HELL is coming with me!!

The theme is great. And it's a perfect move to show the end "march" down to the OK Corral at the end credits, all the brothers and Doc walking alive with that theme playing. Must've watched the end credits 20 times.

The friendship between Doc and Wyatt is so well done IMO. When someone asks the sick Doc why he's helping Wyatt, "Wyatt Earp is my friend" - the other guy says "hell I've got lots of friends". Doc pauses, says: "I don't".

And what a great plot move to have Johnny Ringo actually be a better gunman than Wyatt, but to have Doc at the top of the ladder..so only by him could Wyatt get him.

Other than that there's also lots of great comedy in it along with the themes.. money vs. a somewhat altruistic role of saving a city.. the Wild West.. friendship, even love.

PS - I couldn't find any soundtrack online but the theme is available on p2p. I assume it's ok I write this since there is no sale anyways.

i'm your huckleberry

Last edited by Parcher; 09-04-07 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-04-07, 07:06 AM

Hmmm...not sure whether some of what you wrote should have had spoiler tags.

Tombstone IIRC was one of those revisionist westerns and went out of its way to depict a lot of the less heroic aspects of the western frontier culture, including random violence against civilians(not by Indians, either), laudanum(sp?) addictions, campaigns for equal rights, tuberculosis, primitive medical practices, etc. It even had a gay character, ha, you still don't see a lot of those in period westerns(lol pre-Brokeback Mountain). Also, from a dialogue standpoint, iirc, they tried for authenticity, hence a fair amount of 19th century slang is sprinkled throughout the script.

And yeah, both the acting and actors were good. It's definitely one of Kilmer's better performances, his career seemed to kind of slide off a cliff not long thereafter...the Saint...ughhhhhhhhh.

There were some good revisionist westerns in that time period, Unforgiven imo, is better, but I agree that this is good. If you haven't seen Open Range, you might like that as well, it borrows some elements from Tombstone, although imo, Tombstone is better. And Pale Rider is also worth seeing, if you haven't seen it. And from the 3:10 to Yuma thread, it sounds like that might be worthwhile when it opens this weekend.
Old 09-04-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm I wonder how many post does it takes before the Wyatt Earp camp start threadcrap this thread... oh wait... I AM in the Wyatt Earp camp!

I love Wyatt Earp!!!

I can't get tired of it. It's perfect - and the actors really make the movie. Dennis Quaid as Doc Holliday is just PERFECT. The storyline is incredible

and so on and so on

Old 09-04-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tombstone was a good flick. Haven't seen it in a while and may end up renting again sometime soon.
Old 09-04-07, 08:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Val Kilmer makes this movie.
Old 09-04-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great movie.
Old 09-04-07, 10:16 AM

rented it recently having not seen it since its theatrical run in 93 - it's a great entertainment that touches on most of the bases of the earp lore - what i found most amusing watching it again is what a "That Guy" movie it is - i guess i had forgotten about the very large supporting cast - Michael Biehn, Powers Boothe, Michael Rooker, Billy Bob Thorton, Jason Priestley - and heck , even a cameo from Moses himself.
Old 09-04-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely one of my favorties. Kilmer and Russell are great.

I think it's 100s of times better than Wyatt Earp, but I still like that movie too.
Old 09-04-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was really underwhelmed when I saw it in the theater.

Unfortunately, every time I try and rewatch it, Kurt Russell just pulls me right out of the movie. I don't know why. He's certainly not acting badly, he just can't keep up with the other performers (though I also found Dana Delany to be as distracting).

Or maybe he hides behind that mustache too much.
Old 09-04-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great movie. Much better than Wyatt Earp, IMO.
Old 09-04-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of my favorites as well. Never seen Wyatt Earp.. Guessin I should check it out...
Old 09-04-07, 03:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer Wyatt Earp to Tombstone. But, I would like to have seen Val Kilmer's Doc in Wyatt Earp (not that I think Quaid was bad). I think I like the fact that Costner's movie delves more into his life than Tombstone does.
Old 09-04-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I love Both Wyatt Earp and Tombstone. Plus Quaid's Holiday was really great.
Old 09-04-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kilmer was incredible in that role. I still quote the movie allot!
Old 09-04-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with the others that Kilmer makes this movie. He's far and away I much, much, much prefer it to Wyatt Earp. To me, there was no contest.

Besides...Tombstone had Charlton Heston! Great little cameo.
Old 09-04-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
Hmmm...not sure whether some of what you wrote should have had spoiler tags.

Tombstone IIRC was one of those revisionist westerns and went out of its way to depict a lot of the less heroic aspects of the western frontier culture, including random violence against civilians(not by Indians, either), laudanum(sp?) addictions, campaigns for equal rights, tuberculosis, primitive medical practices, etc. It even had a gay character, ha, you still don't see a lot of those in period westerns(lol pre-Brokeback Mountain). Also, from a dialogue standpoint, iirc, they tried for authenticity, hence a fair amount of 19th century slang is sprinkled throughout the script.

And yeah, both the acting and actors were good. It's definitely one of Kilmer's better performances, his career seemed to kind of slide off a cliff not long thereafter...the Saint...ughhhhhhhhh.

There were some good revisionist westerns in that time period, Unforgiven imo, is better, but I agree that this is good. If you haven't seen Open Range, you might like that as well, it borrows some elements from Tombstone, although imo, Tombstone is better. And Pale Rider is also worth seeing, if you haven't seen it. And from the 3:10 to Yuma thread, it sounds like that might be worthwhile when it opens this weekend.
Exactly how old does a movie have to be for it to be ok to "spoil" it?

This movie came out almost 15 years ago.

Should I worry about spoiling Titanic by letting it slip that the ship sinks? Oops...sorry.
Old 09-04-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joanna Pacula
Old 09-04-07, 09:46 PM

Don't western enthusiasts denounce this movie?

I personally like it, but I recall a lot of people saying it isn't a true western, more so an action movie in disguise of a western.
Old 09-05-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of George P. Cosmatos' best.
Old 09-05-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have yet to fully appreciate it, but Publix had a sale on em, I got like 12.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-05-07 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-05-07, 01:17 AM

My all-time favorite western and one of the most entertaining movies ever thanks to it's sharp and witty dialogue.

I love this exchange between Doc and Ringo (from IMDB):

Doc Holliday: In Vino Veritas.
[In wine is truth. - Meaning - "When I'm drinking, I speak my mind."]
Johnny Ringo: Age Quod Agis.
[Do what you do. - Meaning - "Do what you do best."]
Doc Holliday: Credat Judaeus Apella, Non Ego. The Jew Apella may believe it, not I.
[Meaning, "Oh I don't believe drinking is what I do best."]
Johnny Ringo: Eventus Stultorum Magister.
[Events are the teachers of fools. - Meaning - "Fools have to learn by experience."]
Doc Holliday: In Pace Requiescat.
[Rest In Peace - Meaning - "It's Your Funeral!"]