DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Brothers Bloom (Rian Johnson, 2008) — With Weisz, Ruffalo, Brody (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/510671-brothers-bloom-rian-johnson-2008-%97-weisz-ruffalo-brody.html)

The Bus 08-31-07 12:14 PM

The Brothers Bloom (Rian Johnson, 2008) — With Weisz, Ruffalo, Brody

Just took a short break to watch some TV and Cinemax was playing Brick in HD. I'm really mad that I never got out to see this in theatres because it's truly a fantastic film. (One theatre in Philadelphia was playing only this movie on all its screens and it was still selling out; sadly at the time I had no idea what the movie was about).

Well, the director of Brick has just completed shooting The Brothers Bloom in Belgrade. It apparently deals with two con-men (played by Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo) and a silent partner (Babel's Rinko Kikuchi). Rachel Weisz is either the girlfriend (according to IMDB) or a millionaire mark (according to Wikipedia).

Looks like some of the idiosyncracies of Brick will be carried over. Rian said that, the film is not a "period [piece] but it’s very much its own world, if that makes any sense."

The budget was reportedly $20MM and it's due for a wide release through Universal's Focus.

There's no release date as of yet, just 2008.

DoubleDownAgain 08-31-07 12:17 PM

:thumbsup: I'm there

PopcornTreeCt 08-31-07 05:54 PM

:up: Universal so this will be on HD-DVD. Yes, I think that far in advance. :)

mdc3000 08-31-07 06:44 PM

Loved Brick so I am there opening night.

Sondheim 08-31-07 07:30 PM

"Brick" was one of my favorite films of last year, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Amel 09-02-07 12:38 PM

It all sounds good so far. I liked Brick alot and I love Weisz and Brody. Although it seems (just a little) strange that Weisz has signed onto another conman movie.

The Bus 09-02-07 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Amel
It all sounds good so far. I liked Brick alot and I love Weisz and Brody. Although it seems (just a little) strange that Weisz has signed onto another conman movie.

Another? You mean like The Fountain and Constant Gardener?

The Bus 02-22-08 07:55 PM

IMDB is reporting a release date of April 11. No trailer in sight though.

NoirFan 08-12-08 04:28 PM

Here's the trailer. Looks pretty entertaining.

Cornelius1047 08-12-08 11:52 PM

Release date seems to be October 24th. I'm in. Not sure which movie I saw the trailer before, but I remember thinking, "I'll definitely see that." Didn't even realize it was from the director of Brick, which I absolutely love.

K

riotinmyskull 08-13-08 04:53 AM

looks good to me.

PopcornTreeCt 08-30-08 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8114807)

We've come so far since then.

Anyway, giving this a bump. This looks real good.

Apple Tailer

Zodiac_Speaking 08-30-08 08:08 PM

Oohh "Brick" director did this? Yay, I'm totally down now.

Tarantino 09-04-08 11:37 AM

Looks very entertaining.

= J

invisiblegt 09-04-08 11:40 AM

The new, limited release date is sometime in mid-to-late December, with it gaining a wide audience in early January 2009.

I'll attempt to find a link to the page where I read that.

EDIT: The source is JoBlo, which states that "...THE BROTHERS BLOOM has unfortunately been bumped back from an October 24th release to a limited release on December 19th, followed by a wide release on January 16th 2009."

There is an interview from the director, in which he explains exactly why this is the case, on the site.

NoirFan 09-05-08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by slashfilm review
One of the reasons why I love The Brothers Bloom, is because the film cons the audience. The Brothers Bloom is a story about two brothers, disguised as a love story, disguised as a con movie. The perfect con is where everyone involved gets what they wanted. By the time the credits roll, you will be happy to have experienced a film you weren’t expecting.

The Brothers Bloom have been in the con game since they were young children. Now, along with their speechless explosive expert sidekick Bang Bang, have become the best con team in the world. Stephen (Mark Ruffalo) writes his cons “like dead Russians write novels, full of thematic arks and symbolism.” Now in his 30’s, Bloom (Adrien Brody) wants out of the Con game, hoping to live a real story for a change. But he is lured into one last con, to trick an eccentric shut-in rich woman named Penelope Stamp (Rachel Weisz), out of millions of dollars. But when Bloom falls for the mark, the con begins to unravel.

Comically absurd and fantastically fun, The Brothers Bloom is like a film from another era in another dimension. Weisz is wonderfully cute, and Ruffalo tells a story “so well that it becomes real.” The only problem with Rian Johnson’s follow-up to 2005’s critically acclaimed high school noir indie Brick, is that it is hard to resist comparing it to the filmmakers triumphant directorial debut. And it would be extremely unfair to compare the two films.

Johnson will likely draw comparisons to Paul Thomas Anderson and Wes Anderson. For example, the opening narration is done by Ricky Jay, who also provided the incredible bookend narration for PTA’s Magnolia. Johnson’s use of the swish pan, sharply cut montages, the core brother story, and cast of quirky characters is reminiscent of Wes Anderson. If you’re going to be compared to anyone, Anderson and Anderson are certainly good company. Johnson brings to the table absurd comic moments, sharp and stylish dialogue, and a story with more twists and turns than an elaborate card trick. While Weisz is juggling chainsaws on top of a unicycle, you will believe a lie can tell the truth.

The Bus 09-05-08 05:55 PM

After I saw the trailer I was a bit shocked. I didn't expect there to be a lot of humor in this and it seemed a bit lighter than expected. If it's a Wes Anderson-type drama, then I won't hold it against the director.

Too bad it's been pushed back.

NoirFan 09-09-08 11:27 PM

Variety didn't like it.

The more elaborate the twists, the slighter the project becomes, leaving little impression and smaller (Box Office) prospects....

NoirFan 09-11-08 06:21 PM

Chicago Sun-Times' more positive review includes this wonderful image from the film:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd114/besh1/bbl2.jpg

Off with her head!

tylergfoster 09-12-08 06:12 AM

Someone else pointed out this quote as an illustration of time, but what I thought was ironic is that both halves are wrong. Summit is releasing the movie.

DonnachaOne 10-17-08 05:45 PM

I thought that The Brothers Bloom would be a run-of-the-mill con man flick. I was pleasantly surprised. Rian Johnson didn't just write the cleverest script this year, he managed to create a whole fun world for his characters to run wild in. It's the 1920s with the odd cellphone reference and sports car, where people ride in trains and steamships without batting an eye at how absurd everything is.

... Mark Ruffalo is a great actor who's never given a substantial role - I don't think I've seen him in anything that fit him since You Can Count On Me - but Johnson serves him up a meaty role and Ruffalo attacks it with gusto. He's so much fun to watch, charming his way through the picture. Brody is Brody, and that's good. While they're the con artists, it's the ladies that make off with this picture - Rinko Kikuchi's mute performance is an instant winner, and Rachel Weisz turns in one of the most bubbly, eccentric performances I've ever seen her do. She's amazing, really she is. She makes her quirky, lonely heiress incredibly appealing, playing the role as silly and flighty, but never stupid. When one of the brothers falls in love with her, it's easy to see why. He's just catching up with the audience.

... That's just the cast. The film constantly looks great, mixing romantic international locations with beautiful production design and costumes that look like they've stepped out of a forgotten decade (but never looked better). Rian Johnson also fills the film up with visual jokes and asides, often while characters are talking about something important, from the scribbled scene transitions to the cardplay.

... I'd be lying if I said it all worked, since there's a few tricks that don't hit. Maximillian Schell as a russian mentor to the con men seems to enter and leave the film with little rhyme, reason or resolution, leading to an ending that dissatisfied a few of the people in the crowd that I saw this with. But not me, and I fail to see how the loose ends could somehow eclipse the good time the film gave me (how can you hate a movie with a one-legged kitten in a roller skate?). The Brothers Bloom may one of my favourite films this year. It's already won me over.

NoirFan 12-14-08 09:58 AM

Pushed back again to May 15th.

NoirFan 03-07-09 12:55 PM

Re: The Brothers Bloom (Rian Johnson, 2008) — With Weisz, Ruffalo, Brody

This will open the AFI Dallas Film Festival on March 26th.

PopcornTreeCt 03-07-09 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 8933988)
Someone else pointed out this quote as an illustration of time, but what I thought was ironic is that both halves are wrong. Summit is releasing the movie.

You're right. I immediately thought of Brick which was with Universal. Had this movie been distributed by Universal it probably would've came out by now.

Tarantino 03-07-09 10:52 PM

:lol:

It's been pushed back for that long...

= J