Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Mist (Dir. by Frank Darabont) -- Jane, Braugher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's The Mist (Dir. by Frank Darabont) -- Jane, Braugher

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I saw this movie over the weekend and actually liked it quite a bit. It had its flaws, but i can imagine that this movie could grow into one of those undiscovered gems that many people take years to find. It reminded me somewhat of the feel of Pitch Black.....only better. I liked the Lovecraft style creatures and felt that it was nicely directed. The cast overall was pretty good. I hate Marica Gay Harden and the character she played....but whilst watching it i thought to myself "Well she is obviously suppossed to be despised by the audience....and i am not a fan of the actress playing the part.....so in a way i have to give the actress and character props....because i hate her...tey succeeded totally here.......hahahaha."

There was one part that really pissed me off though and thats at the end of the movie where Thomas Jane is crying (in moruning). Man the guy can't act that emotion well at all. I really felt let down by his acting in such a crucial scene. I did like the ending even though i guessed thats how it would finish up. I guess i have seen just too many Twilight Zone type shows.
Old 03-24-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
There was one part that really pissed me off though and thats at the end of the movie where Thomas Jane is crying (in moruning). Man the guy can't act that emotion well at all. I really felt let down by his acting in such a crucial scene. I did like the ending even though i guessed thats how it would finish up. I guess i have seen just too many Twilight Zone type shows.
That's funny cause I thought he was GREAT in that scene! Really powerful
Old 03-24-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I actually thought the exact same thing. To me, the ending kind of proved the legitimacy of what she was saying all along. She was dead on with that statement. Definitely made me think some.
The message I got from the ending was : Never give up.

maybe thats just me. I would rather die fighting because there is always a chance. If you do what they did, you have NO chance.
Old 03-24-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not much to add here. Just want to say that I loved this movie. It wasn't perfect, but it's easily one of the most enjoyable horror movies I've seen made in the last five years.

A terrific creature feature with a bit of a point.
Old 03-27-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just got this from Netflix and watched it last night. F****** awesome. Pure King in the story and characters.

As usual, a movie I don't blind buy kicks ass and I have to run out and buy it, while most blind buys I make I wish I just rented.

had to get the 2-disc version just to see the black and white version, but I was quite satisfied with the color version.

The only negative is every time I see Jane I can't stop thinking how much he looks like Christopher Lambert.
Old 03-28-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuckaMC
The message I got from the ending was : Never give up.

maybe thats just me. I would rather die fighting because there is always a chance. If you do what they did, you have NO chance.
I don't think dying fighting was the fear as much as
Spoiler:
ending up as a half dead eggsack.

Last edited by kurupt; 03-28-08 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-29-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Just saw this. I went in knowing next to nothing about The Mist. When it comes to horror movies, I try to avoid all reviews, commercials etc. because the horror movie experience to me is better when I know nothing.

So I had no idea what the mist was. All I knew is that there were people trapped in a supermarket trying to stay away from it. Then the monsters came. My first thought was that the rest of the movie was going to be lame. Not that I dislike monster movies, it was just that I thought there would be something better/less physical to come out of the mist.

Then the movie stopped being a horror movie and became a movie about humanity, society and religion. That is when it started to be great. There were some incredible scenes when it stopped being a "monster that will kill everything" movie.

I'm thinking in particular of:
Spoiler:
The crowd sacrificing the soldier to the monster. Very powerful scene. Also, the last scene in the supermarket when they are attempting to sacrifice the son and Ollie shoots the crazy religious lady.

Then the end:
Spoiler:
I know there are obvious connotations to religion with the end. Would the mist have disappeared if David did not kill his son? Did the son need to be sacrificed as Carmondy said?

Personally, I'll just take the obvious ironical ending that was presented to me. The mist started to fade right after he had mercy killed his son and the others and now David has to live with the consequence. The ending was hard to take as David was nothing but a good person trying to take care of his family and the others throughout the film.
Old 03-29-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My biggest problem with the ending is not that
Spoiler:
it's too sad, downbeat, despairing, Twilight Zone-ish, or whatever you want to call it -- I love those types of endings and respect the balls that it took to put one on a big Hollywood movie like this one. I don't care about the fact that David killed the other 4 people, including his son, and was then preparing to feed himself to the monsters to end it all.

I would have been fine if it had ended right there. My problem was that the ending
Spoiler:
took away the most chilling aspect of the original story -- the idea that the mist may be never-ending, that it may have covered the entire world, that it may indeed be the end of the world -- and of how many other stories like the one we are witnessing is implied by that. That's part of the very idea of the mist itself -- you can't see what's going on out there, you don't know what's happening elsewhere, or how big the problem might be.

The end of the movie, in its attempt to be shocking and ironic, implies that the mist is going away, that the military/government is making good progress in getting it under control, and that it probably only impacted a small geographic area to begin with.

Having said all of that, I'd still probably be ok with the ending as it is if it wasn't for
Spoiler:
Thomas Jane's horrendous acting during that scene. Sorry, but it's just laughable.
Old 03-30-08, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone post the original ending from Stephen King's story, in spoiler tags obviously?
Old 03-30-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Imail724
Can someone post the original ending from Stephen King's story, in spoiler tags obviously?
Book Spoiler (or so I think)
Spoiler:
There's a message on the radio that they follow. I think that it ends with them just driving through the mist.
Old 03-30-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by MoviePage
Having said all of that, I'd still probably be ok with the ending as it is if it wasn't for
Spoiler:
Thomas Jane's horrendous acting during that scene. Sorry, but it's just laughable.
That performance there was a bit jarring. It was almost perfect. I don't blame Jane. It was a very heavy situation. Maybe it could have been handled better by drowning the sound in the score or something. Or just downplaying the reaction. I dunno. You can't blame Jane though. In my head, I can't think of any better way an actor could have done it.
Old 03-30-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Book Spoiler (or so I think)
Spoiler:
There's a message on the radio that they follow. I think that it ends with them just driving through the mist.
Spoiler:
They get a glimmer of a message that comes from an AM station in Boston. The "writer" (main character) is writing the story of what happened in a journal he found at a hotel they're staying at. He writes that maybe the mist hasn't reached Boston, and it pretty much ends with you not knowing what's next.
Old 03-30-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What does the AM Boston message say?
Old 03-30-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the hotel, writing:
(Closing paragraph)
"One word, If I only heard it. If only.
I'm going to bed now. But first I'm going to kiss my son and whisper two words in his ear. Against the dreams that may come, you know.
Two words that sound a bit alike. One of them is Hartford. The other is hope."

Last edited by xfilekr; 03-30-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-30-08, 09:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
That performance there was a bit jarring. It was almost perfect. I don't blame Jane. It was a very heavy situation. Maybe it could have been handled better by drowning the sound in the score or something. Or just downplaying the reaction. I dunno. You can't blame Jane though. In my head, I can't think of any better way an actor could have done it.
I dunno... didnt like how Jane did that scene at all.
To me, it would have been more powerful if it was downplayed it. When I think of previous scenes of similar situations, I think Mel Gibson's scene in Ransom (when he hears the gunshot over the phone and thinks his son is dead) would have been perfect here.
Old 03-30-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

he should have just thrown himself under the tanks treads. Credits.
Old 03-31-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's right...it's Hartford, not Boston.
Old 04-01-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually like Downer endings but this just didn't work for me. He does what he does and then 5 minutes later he is rescued?
Overall thought the rest of the movie was pretty effecting though.
Old 04-01-08, 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
he should have just thrown himself under the tanks treads. Credits.
"I think I'm turning Chianese. I think I'm turning Chianese! I really think so!"

I loved The Mist. King as Lovecraft. Good times.
Old 04-01-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not quite as good as "The Shawshank Redemption" or "The Green Mile", but "The Mist" was quite entertaining.

Honestly, I thought Andre Braugher was going to have a bigger part in the movie. I guess I should've figured that he never gets the time on screen he deserves. He was very good in the scenes he was in, however. He's such a good actor who's work on "Homicide: Life on the Street" won't be forgotten. I don't usually clap when people get shot in the head, but when Harden's character, Mrs. Carmody, got shot by Ollie (with a good performance by Toby Jones); I was happy. Harden played her part well, but her character annoyed the hell out of me.

Regarding the ending; I liked it. I can see why a lot of people have mixed feelings about it, but I felt the tension and guilt Drayton felt. I felt sorry for him because that would be the worst experience in the world. I don't think that scene was overacted by Jane, I thought he did a decent job. I watched the color version, but I guess I should've watched the Black & White version and maybe the "monsters" would've been scarier.

"The Mist" was another good movie of 2007. Not quite as good as "Gone Baby Gone", "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford", and "No Country For Old Men", but still as entertaining as those films and better than pretentious garbage like last year's "Atonement".
Old 04-03-08, 09:48 AM

Hollywood's fear Christians is evident than in this film. So they make the nutty character into a crazed loon, who claims to be Christian. Where have I seen the gun in the mouth bit before?..Oh yeah 20+ years ago in a movie called "Lethal Weapon".
Old 04-03-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Carmondy was just a representation on fundamentalism and the extremes it goes. She's a christian merely because it's an easy way to show that example. Not to mention she was actually right about a lot of things in the film.

And the story of The Mist was written years before Lethal weapon came out.
Old 04-03-08, 01:18 PM

Someone asked King recently about his portrayal of Christians and he said that "organized religion scares the s*** out of me." I was thinking "What about unorganized religion???"

Carmody does speak a lot of truth but she's stuck in the Old Testament skips the New Testament and heads right for Revelation. Amanda points out by saying "You're a little too Old Testament for me." Also the biker dude comes back by telling her "I believe in God, I just don't think he's the a**hole you make Him out to be."

I just want to go on record and say Carmody is not like all Christians!!! ha ha ha.
Old 04-04-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Finally saw this and read every post in this thread.

This is another one of those films that I need to see again - no exceptions but for now, I really, really liked it......why? Because it didn't puss out and fucking did something different for a change. Harden's character annoyed the piss out of me....but in a good way.

The beauty behind her character is that YOU DON"T know if she's full of shit or if you should stop for a sec to listen (but listen only, not follow). This was one of the strongest features of this film because the whole setup, every character, are the exact type of things you would encounter in a situation like this.

Some people complain about the films flaws (i.e. why would the kid want to go outside after what just happened, how could Jane's neighbor be so damn stupid...etc) seriously....this is exactly how people would act. The kid was a kid - his reactions and mannerisms were exactly what you would expect - although he was trying to be a bad-ass, he was scared shitless the whole time.

As for the ending - I loved the shit out of it. Think about all you saw before it happened. I for one thought it was beyond effective and it actually disturbed the shit out of me a little bit (it was filmed perfectly - very creepy). Jane's reaction (Am I spelling this dudes last name right?) was spot on - not sure why people thought it was laughable.....at all. Great acting.

Basically for me, the film was excellent because of how off the damn wall it was and so original from what is usually put out by studios. I don't really have any complaints aside from feeling that it was a bit too long but I'm hoping on my second viewing that it's just the mood I need to get more into.

On a side note, one of the main reasons I need to see this again is because a lot of people I know who have seen this film all bragged about the ending and how great it was - things like "you'll never see it coming" - "wait until you see the ending, it will blow you away" - even the guy at the video store I rented it from muttered "great movie - awesome ending" and to be honest - I was watching the whole film trying to look for details on the "big mystery twist" and I definitely lost focus during my first viewing. I'm so glad the ending wasn't some lame ass "suprise!! I got you!!" bullshit and it's actually one of my favorite parts.

I'll be checking it out again soon and I'm really glad I didn't put this one off for good.
Old 04-05-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie was surprisingly awesome...and it's the first time that I like Marcia Gay Harden in a role - what an evil biotch....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.