Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Samsara' (2008) new 70mm film from the makers of 'Baraka'

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-28-07, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm too lazy to write up a synopsis of the film but here's what imdb member phusis comments on the upcoming film

Samsara is a Tibetan word that means “the ever turning wheel of life, a concept both intimate and vast, obvious and oblique, the perfect subject for filmmakers Mark Magidson and Ron Fricke who have awed us with exquisite images of the mundane; filmmakers with an uncanny ability to reveal the elusive current of interconnection that runs through the Universe and our lives.

Both philosophically and technically, Samsara will build on the team’s earlier work. Expanding on the themes of interconnection and transcendence which they developed in Baraka (1992), Samsara will focus on the cycle of Birth, Death and Rebirth, from the perspectives of many cultures. Neither a traditional documentary, nor a travelogue, Samsara will take the form of a nonverbal, guided meditation that will transform viewers in countries around the world, as they are swept along on a journey of the soul. Through powerful images, the film will illuminate the links between humanity and the rest of nature, showing how our life cycle mirrors the rhythm of the planet. Samsara will be part of a 21st Century mythology, revealing parts of our imperilled planet never before photographed. It will combine original and indigenous music with dance as well as other contemporary art forms.

Fricke and Magidson firmly believe that nonverbal films must live up to the standard of great still photography, which reveals the essence of a subject, not just the physical presence, but the inner workings as well. In order to accomplish this goal, they rely on the careful balance of three elements: cinematography, editing and music. To achieve this synthesis, the musical score for Samsara will be commensurate with the film techniques, bringing a vastly diverse musical component to the film. Approximately 15 to 20 minutes of thematic score will be composed and woven into original music from accomplished International artists, the carefully coordinated score matching the imagery in sophistication and cultural integrity.

With a team that has collaborated for over 20 years, Samsara will be filmed in 20 to 25 countries. Director/Cinematographer Ron Fricke will photograph in 70mm film using both standard frame rates and a motion control time-lapse camera designed specifically for this project. This camera system will allow him to shift perspectives to reveal extraordinary views of ordinary scenes. The film elements will be then be scanned to a digital intermediate format. Effects produced in this manner will be stunning without appearing artificial. Samsara will be the ultimate showpiece for both the HD format and high-resolution digital projection, as well as standard film projection.

After the fantastic and time proven response to Baraka (Variety declared it a ‘Masterpiece” and the Hollywood Reporter a ‘riveting” experience), Magidson and Fricke are confident that world audiences are ready for films with a life-affirming message. They aim to take the universally understood, nonverbal genre to new heights; a global vision for a global audience.
theatrical widescreen 70mm!! bring it on
Old 08-29-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds great! I like Baraka (with the exception of that section when it goes off on a tangent on the Holocaust that seemed out-of-place), so it getting a sequel is good news. Samsara is something that would be great to see properly on a big screen - any word on its release schedule?
Old 08-30-07, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
This sounds great! I like Baraka (with the exception of that section when it goes off on a tangent on the Holocaust that seemed out-of-place), so it getting a sequel is good news. Samsara is something that would be great to see properly on a big screen - any word on its release schedule?
from what I've read the most interesting aspect of the release is that it will released in 35mm, DLP and 70mm - obviousily the latter would be the preferred way to see this film.
Old 08-30-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Baraka so this sounds awesome. I'll definitely catch it in theatres.

And you know it's gonna make a hell of a high-def disc when it comes out.
Old 08-30-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm so there.
Old 08-31-07, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Baraka is amazing. I'll be seeing this one for sure.
Old 06-19-10, 12:57 AM

Re: 'Samsara' (2008) new 70mm film from the makers of 'Baraka'

well it looks like we might have to wait another year til 2011 - *sigh* who knew a worldwide shoot would take THIS long

Spirit of Baraka

Last edited by Giles; 06-19-10 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-16-10, 04:41 PM

this was noted in the in70mm website and I hope this wrong:

"We are happy to say we have wrapped principal photography and are starting the editing process. We anticipate completion by the end of the year. At this point we are not certain of the ultimate release form beyond digital 4K and 35mm."

so, wait? it's shot in 70mm but not being released as such - what a supreme waste, if they are not going to release it in 70mm they should at least consider releasing it in IMAX.
Old 08-17-11, 10:15 PM

new news !!

"Samsara" to Premiere in Canada, September 11, 2011 (Toronto International Film Festival)

The team behind "Baraka" reunites for another journey around the world, exploring themes of birth, death and rebirth through stunning visuals and music. .

Ron Fricke's long awaited follow up to "Baraka", his new 65mm production, titled "Samsara" is to premiere in Canada, September 11, 2011 during the Toronto International Film Festival. "Samsara" is the first film which has been filmed entirely on high resolution 65mm film since Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet" in 1996. Most of "Samsara" has been filmed with Panavision's System 65.

Toronto International Film Festival has announced the world-premiere on their web site, and hopefully that will create a lot of buzz for the fans of Ron Fricke and 70mm fans alike. "Baraka" also World-premiered in Canada at the Montreal World Film Festival, 30. August 1992.

Producer Mark Magidson is quoted saying:

"After 4 1/2 years in production it is indeed great to finally be able to get the film out into the world."

Indeed, it has been a long wait for many, including the director Ron Fricke, who sent an outline of "Samsara" to in70mm.com/The 70mm Newsletter not long after the release of "Baraka" - nearly 20 years ago.

The 70mm fans will be probably be disappointed to learn that no 70mm prints have been planned - yet. The premiere in Canada will be a state-of-the-art high-end 4K digital presentation, with full uncompressed 6-track digital sound.

"Samsara". Directed by By Ron Fricke. Language: English. Running time: 1:39 minutes. Format: DCP (D-Cinema). Producer: Mark Magidson. Production Company: Magidson Films, Inc. Screenplay: Ron Fricke, Mark Magidson. Cinematographer: Ron Fricke. Music: Michael Stearns, Lisa Gerrard, Marcello de Francisci.
Old 08-17-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Premiering on 9/11 (!) - I'm glad this is finally opening, but bad choice of date.
Old 08-17-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Premiering on 9/11 (!) - I'm glad this is finally opening, but bad choice of date.
Actually, considering the content and subtext already described (birth, death and rebirth), that date might be a really inspired choice.
Old 08-18-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perfect. I'm volunteering at the Toronto Film Festival that day. If the timing's right, I can see this for free. I've waited four years for this!
Old 09-18-11, 01:42 AM

here's Variety review of the film:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117946060/

4K digital projection AND 7.1 surround sound -
Old 09-18-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I got to see this. The print was stunning at TIFF. Samsara is basically Baraka: Redux with a similar message but darn if it isn't pretty!
Old 01-05-12, 12:22 AM

new news on two upcoming screenings:

Santa Barbara International Film Festival (Jan 26 - Feb 6) 4K projection

Dublin International Film Festival (Feb 16 - 26)

and a new website:

Samsara
Old 03-28-12, 01:00 AM

Oscilloscope Pictures will be commercially releasing this - no word on actual release date, but at least we now have a distributor linked to the US theatrical release.

Theatrical release for England and Germany is set for September
Old 05-03-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bumping the thread for the trailer posted a little while ago: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/samsara/
Old 05-03-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
Bumping the thread for the trailer posted a little while ago: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/samsara/
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P0xVp3N-M84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-03-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll see it, I found Baraka mesmerizing.
Old 07-24-12, 12:49 AM

here's the US theater listings for the opening of the film:

http://barakasamsara.com/samsara/screenings
Old 07-24-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wonder if this will hit Australia.
Old 07-24-12, 10:01 AM

^ well the link does state a vague December 2012 date
Old 07-24-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, I hope this makes it to Austin theatrically. Digitalbits just posted this will be released on DVD and Blu on 12/4.
Old 07-24-12, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Damn, I hope this makes it to Austin theatrically. Digitalbits just posted this will be released on DVD and Blu on 12/4.
yes, there's already an Amazon preorder link.
Old 07-26-12, 01:40 AM

it'll hit Austin on September 14th at the Alamo Drafthouse. can't wait.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.