DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Yo Joe! G.I. Joe is a Go!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/509980-yo-joe-g-i-joe-go.html)

The Valeyard 08-23-07 08:18 PM

Yo Joe! G.I. Joe is a Go!!

From Comic Book Resources

G.I. GO: LIVE-ACTION "G.I. JOE" GREEN-LIT WITH STEPHEN SOMMERS

by CBR News Team, Editor

The Hollywood Reporter broke news today that Paramount Pictures has finally green-lit a live action film based on the hugely popular toy, animation and comics franchise “G.I. Joe.” Directed by Stephen Sommers (“Van Helsing”), “G.I. Joe” is to depict the classic versions of the characters made famous by the 1980s morning cartoon and Marvel Comics series.
Although “G.I. Joe” has enjoyed lasting success in many mediums, it is likely the enormous silver screen popularity of another 1980s toy franchise, the Transformers, expedited the green-lighting of this film.

“G.I. Joe” comics are still in print and currently produced by Devil's Due Publishing.
Stephen Sommers, huh?

raven56706 08-23-07 08:22 PM

Stephen Sommers???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

clemente 08-23-07 08:23 PM

Well there's no need to make GI Joe a gritty action flick, it'd be nice, but it would limit their audience.

I like Sommers overall, but his last two flicks were The Mummy 2 and Van Helsing....thats some bad aftertaste.

DarthVong 08-23-07 08:26 PM

I predict a fully CGI version of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

Rogue588 08-23-07 08:30 PM

re: Yo Joe! G.I. Joe is a Go!!

Oh no! This blows!!

Rockmjd23 08-23-07 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
Stephen Sommers???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Destro will probably be Arnold Vosloo.

sinister 08-24-07 02:34 AM

fat@ss brendan frasier will be Flint. sorry but unless they make this a real military movie i think it will be very bad. at least transformers had robots crashing into each other and limbs flying off. it needs a serious tone with snakes eyes vs. stormshadow clashing. jets and helicopters blowing up and the pilots parachuting to safety will come across very PG'ish. that's what was so lame about the cartoons. all the destruction and no one ever died.

fumanstan 08-24-07 02:41 AM

I've liked Stephen Sommer's action pics :shrug: I think he can make this very entertaining.

AGuyNamedMike 08-24-07 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by sinister
fat@ss brendan frasier

:hscratch:

http://www.styleikon.com/wp-content/...ndenfraser.jpg

FantasticVSDoom 08-24-07 07:33 AM

We'll now we know, and knowing is half the battle...

DVD Josh 08-24-07 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Destro will probably be Arnold Vosloo.

Truth be told that's not a bad casting.

stingermck 08-24-07 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Truth be told that's not a bad casting.

Yeah I wouldnt have a problem with that.

The key characters, Cobra Commander, Destro, Snakey Eyes, and Storm Shadow, all wear mask, so I wonder if there will be much stunt casting for those.

Yavin 08-24-07 08:40 AM

I thought I read a week or two ago that Sommers was off the project. Is he back onboard now or something?

EDIT: Nvm, found my answer here. Apparently, he was off the project but was hired on-the-spot again when he pitched his "vision" to producers.

While some remember the character from its gung-ho fighting man '60s incarnation, he's evolved. G.I. Joe is now a Brussels-based outfit that stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil organization headed by a double-crossing Scottish arms dealer. The property is closer in tone to "X-Men" and James Bond than a war film.
Doesn't sound too bad to me ... the way I see it, the only way a live-action Joe film would work is if they make it close to the Mission: Impossible films in tone.

The Bus 08-24-07 08:43 AM

If there's one way you can make me lose interest in this movie, it's by hiring Stephen fucking Sommers.

Kicker_of_Elves 08-24-07 09:05 AM

Sommers? That's the best they could come up with? Has he even made anything since that piece of shit Van Helsing?

islandclaws 08-24-07 12:27 PM

Sommers, eh? Well, I just officially lost any interest in seeing this. Expect another CG nightmare along the lines of Van Helsing.

Dan1boy 08-24-07 12:31 PM

good lord...not Stephen Sommers...please no

aaargh!

Shannon Nutt 08-24-07 03:13 PM

Could have been worse...could have been Michael Bay. ;)

mdc3000 08-24-07 03:31 PM

With the exception of all the potential he pissed away with 'Van Helsing' I think Stephen Sommers knows how to make a decent and entertaining action flick, so this should be a good time. I'm in.

bee_01 08-24-07 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Could have been worse...could have been Michael Bay. ;)

Oddly enough I think GI Joe would've been right down Bay's alley...they can just CGI Cobra and Joe logos onto the thousands of hours of helicopter footage he's already shot.

Legolas 08-24-07 04:46 PM

So with Stephen Sommers, does that mean G.I. Joe will fight CGI Cobra for two straight hours?

CaptainMarvel 08-24-07 10:00 PM

1) "A Real American Hero" is now going to be a Brussels based outfit?

2) Cobra is being led by Destro (the "double-crossing Scottish arms dealer")?

Er... this has me concerned.

Calculon 08-24-07 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
So with Stephen Sommers, does that mean C.G.I. Joe will fight CGI Cobra for two straight hours?

fixed

Goldberg74 08-25-07 12:52 PM

I'm optimistic with Sommer's at the helm. I liked the Mummy movies and Van Helsing.

I'm surprised that no one has posted the obligatory "Jason Lee was born to play Shipwreck!" comment.

Lateralus 08-25-07 02:25 PM

Meh... as long as it has Storm Shadow I don't care who directs.