Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yo Joe! G.I. Joe is a Go!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yo Joe! G.I. Joe is a Go!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
While a gritty, hard-edged Joe would've been cool, it was a kids' cartoon originally. With Sommers we know what we're getting... I've liked all his films, so hopefully this'll be another fun one.
Old 08-26-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Count me in as keeping an open mind. We havent even heard any casting news yet. Looking forward to hearing more about this as the details are finalized.
Old 08-31-07, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Beattie reporting for 'G.I. Joe' duty
By Borys Kit
Aug 31, 2007

Stuart Beattie is strapping on his helmet for writing duties on "G.I. Joe," Paramount Pictures' live-action film based on the popular Hasbro action figures.

The studio is moving fast on the project, having last week signed Stephen Sommers to direct the action movie (HR 8/24). Paramount is prepping it as a pre-strike movie and eyeing a summer 2009 release.

"Joe" will be based on the toy line launched in the 1980s, which also was tied to a comic book series and Saturday morning cartoon. It is the cartoon version that saw soldiers from all branches of the military fighting a terrorist group called Cobra, led by the Cobra Commander and featuring such villains as the Baroness and metal-faced arms dealer Destro.

The strike force featured such heroes as the mute ninja Snake Eyes and the heroine Scarlett, who were led by a Joe named Duke.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Hasbro's Brian Goldner are producing.

Beattie's credits include "Collateral," "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" and the upcoming horror movie "30 Days of Night."

Beattie is repped by CAA and attorney Joan Vento Hall
Old 08-31-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I am glad that they are doing a movie - I was a HUGE GI Joe Fan. I still have all the comic books from when I was a kid.

This is a wait and see thing. If they do a mix of 007 and Die Hard we will get a good movie, but if they make it a slapstick, lighthearted, Charlie's Angles type of movie it will be Suck!
Old 08-31-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real question is will GI Joe be sporting the patented "Kung-Fu grip"!!!!
Old 08-31-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I'm just trying to think of who the main character would be.. so that it doesn't turn into an X-Men type situation with Wolverine being the focus eventhough he's not the leader. Was there a Duke backstory in the cartoon series? I can remember a Shipwreck one and of course Snake Eyes.
Old 10-04-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark Wahlberg could be Flynt.

I'm sure the budget for this film will be at least $150 million, so they may not be using too many big name actors.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 10-04-07 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No body massage = NO SALE
Old 10-04-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Mark Wahlberg could be Flynt.

I'm sure the budget for this film will be at least $150 million, so they may not be using too many big name actors.
i hope not

i would rather see nice special effects instead of most of the money going to a few people's salaries. something like this needs a bunch of B list actors with one or two semi-retired former A list ones
Old 10-04-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't wait to see the first leaked shots of a H.I.S.S. tank.
Old 10-04-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I would say Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander need the most focus. They have the best back stories, and intertwine with each other.
Old 10-04-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd imagine the teams will be something along these lines.

GI Joe will almost definitely have Duke, Scarlett, and Snake-Eyes, since those are the "big 3". After this you'd probably see at least 3-4 of the following: Flint, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, General Hawk, Stalker, or Shipwreck. I'd imagine there'd be a few cameos or very small supporting roles too such as Doc, Jinx, Spirit, Gung-Ho or maybe even Sgt. Slaughter.

Cobra would definitely have Cobra Commander, Destro and the Baroness as well as the usual assortment of Vipers and Storm Shadow. They have so many good secondary villains (Serpentor, Mindbender, Zartan, Major Bludd, Firefly) that I'd imagine they'll save most of them for potential sequels, especially Serpentor.
Old 10-05-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think they should replace Sommers with Atom Egoyan...

...but seriously. I really don't want somebody with as much of a proclivity for CGI to be directing this film. G.I.Joe is the only movie I will be watching more hesitantly than Transformers. They were MY toy when I was young. I LOVED them. And the comics. Everything G.I.Joe, I loved. So they better not screw this up a la Street Fighter...
Old 10-05-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A quick outline of Beatties script is up at IESB:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...1&article=3422

......the GI Joe draft was turned in on or around the 1st of October and as reported before here on the IESB, the Joe team, while still an international team, will be based in the United States.

The Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow story arch (god, I love Ninjas) will be a main focal point and the “soul” of the film.

The villains of course are Destro, the Baroness and Cobra but we have been told that Cobra Commander will have more of a “Emperor Palpatine”-like character arch. The Joes will be mainly facing Destro and the Baroness.

Helping Cobra will be one of the coolest groups of characters from the G.I. Joe comics and cartoons…the Dreadnoks.

The mercenaries known as Dreadnoks lead by Zartan including his brother and sister Zarana and Zandar will be the hired muscle that Cobra will use in its day to day operations. Zartan is known for his martial arts ability as well as his mastery of disguise. Additionally, through genetic manipulation, Zartan is able to change the color of his skin to blend in with his surroundings.

Sounds actually pretty good. If this is the story/script they go with, then it has potential!
Old 10-05-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
could've done without the pink-haired siblings

write-in tomax and xamot if you need evil brothers
Old 10-05-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
A quick outline of Beatties script is up at IESB:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...1&article=3422

Sounds actually pretty good. If this is the story/script they go with, then it has potential!
Agreed. Sign me up!
Old 10-05-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
I was never a huge Joe fan in the 80s, but I find it hard to see how this will translate well to a movie. I would expect there is going to be a lot of guns/explosions for it to mean anything, and if 95% of the characters walk away unscathed, I think it will come off as very unrealistic.
Old 10-05-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't know if they're still planning on doing this or not, but when i read it, it made me not want to see the movie

plans by Paramount to make the property more international, by changing the name to an acronym for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, a Brussels-based group that will fight an international terrorist group. Although non-U.S. characters have been featured in the property in the past, this takes it further through the change of the meaning of the name, and by basing the team in Europe. The changes are reportedly being made to make the property more palatable to non-U.S. audiences
Old 10-05-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
i don't know if they're still planning on doing this or not, but when i read it, it made me not want to see the movie
That was a rumour/idea from a previous script that never came to be.

They will be a "global" team, but based out of the USA.