Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

do we have enough animated movies this year eligible for the oscars?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-23-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meet the Robinsons
TMNT
Aqua Teen Hunger Force: The Movie
Shrek the Third
Surf's Up
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie
Beowulf
Bee Movie

that's 9 only! am i missing something? there needs to be at least 12 according to the oscars rules.
Old 08-23-07, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Happily N'Ever After
Old 08-23-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know nothing about these movies, and I didn't know about that rule, but here are 3 more. If they come out I guess that would be 12.

Delgo (not definite)
Enchanted
Food Fight

Edit: Here's another one which sounds interesting to me: Persepolis.

Last edited by Ginwen; 08-23-07 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm don't forget that Ratatoing.

Oh wait... are we talking about the Razzie?
Old 08-23-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by animatedude
Meet the Robinsons
TMNT
Aqua Teen Hunger Force: The Movie
Shrek the Third
Surf's Up
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie
Beowulf
Bee Movie

that's 9 only! am i missing something? there needs to be at least 12 according to the oscars rules.
Paprika.
Old 08-23-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paprika:no, that was eligible for last year's oscars.
Happily N'Ever After: yes, that's 10.
Persepolis: yes but not sure,that's 11
Food Fight: no,according to imdb.com listing,it's coming out in 2008.
Enchanted: it's not pure animation is it? i don't think it would be eligible cos the movie has to be more than 70% or 75% i think of animation.
Delgo: still not confirmed that it would come out this year.

edit: it's more likely that Delgo will be released in 2008,so now it's all about wthether Enchanted will be eligible or not.or maybe we are still missing?

Last edited by animatedude; 08-23-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Enchanted will not be eligible because it only contains 12 mins of animation.
Old 08-23-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Food Fight is finally coming out? I've been hearing that this movie is "right around the corner" for the past 12 years.

It looks like they're not using real product mascots anymore.
Old 08-23-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It surprises me the people that have a stake would let that happen.

Like I said, I don't know the rules but maybe there's a Studio Ghibli movie (like Tales from Earthsea) that hasn't been released yet here they could roll out for a couple of weeks in LA and New York just to make there's 12.

Edit: I see that can't come out here until 2009 d/t rights issues, so I got nothing.
Old 08-23-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually according to this it's just 8. If too many of them totally suck (rated under 7.5 out of 10 by this panel) they may not do an award, or at least not a competitive award.

http://www.oscars.org/80academyawards/rules/rule07.html

RULE SEVEN
SPECIAL RULES FOR THE BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM AWARD
I. DEFINITION

An animated feature film is defined as a motion picture of at least 70 minutes in running time, in which movement and characters’ performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique. In addition, a significant number of the major characters must be animated, and animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of the picture’s running time.

II. ELIGIBILITY

1. Except as indicated above, films in this category must meet all the requirements in Academy Awards Rules Two, Three and Four.

2. The Executive Committee of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch shall meet prior to the last Board of Governors meeting of the calendar year. At this meeting, a Reminder List of the animated feature films released during the year shall be reviewed. If the committee finds that there are eight (8) or more eligible animated feature films that warrant a category, it may choose to recommend to the Board of Governors that there be a Best Animated Feature Film Award given this year. If the Governors accept this recommendation, the following nomination process shall be set in motion.

III. SUBMISSION

1. An entry form naming the intended award recipient(s) and including the signatures of all the credited producer(s) and director(s) is required. (This is to assure that all parties are properly informed, and that agreement on the designated award recipient(s) is settled prior to submission.)

2. The award recipient(s) shall be designated by those responsible for the production of the film. The designated recipient must be the KEY CREATIVE INDIVIDUAL most clearly responsible for the overall achievement OR a TWO-PERSON TEAM with shared and equal directing credit. (The shared director credit must be approved by the Branch Executive Committee.) A maximum of two statuettes will be awarded.

3. The print or copy submitted for Academy Awards consideration must be identical in content and length to the print or copy utilized for the qualifying exhibition. All entries submitted must include an English-language synopsis of the film.

4. Prints should be marked ANIMATED FEATURE FILM ENTRY and shipped PREPAID to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, 8949 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills, California 90211. Those entries not chosen as nominations for final balloting will be returned to the sender at Academy expense. PRINTS SUBMITTED WILL BE RETAINED BY THE ACADEMY UNTIL THE VOTING PROCESS IS COMPLETED AND WILL NOT BE LOANED FOR USE BY OTHERS DURING THE PERIOD OF THE VOTING PROCESS.

5. THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING THE ENTRY FORM, SYNOPSIS, CAST AND CREDITS LIST, FILMOGRAPHIES [of the key creative individual(s) named for award purposes] AND STILLS IS THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2007. THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING THE FILM PRINT IS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2007. FOREIGN ENTRIES MUST ALSO COMPLY WITH THIS RULE.

6. Films submitted in the Best Animated Feature Film category may qualify for Academy Awards in other areas, including Best Picture, provided they meet the rules criteria governing those categories.

7. A film may be submitted in only one Awards year for Academy Awards consideration.

IV. VOTING

1. A Chairperson, appointed by the Academy President, shall head one or more Best Animated Feature Film Award Screening Committee(s). An invitational letter will be sent from the Chairperson to a list of active and life Academy members requesting their participation. Those serving on the screening committee(s) will be required to see 80 percent of the submitted eligible films at meetings of the committee(s) or in a theatrical setting. Viewing Animated Feature Film entries on videocassette or DVD will NOT qualify a member for voting purposes in this category.

2. All submissions sent to the Academy will be screened by the Academy’s Animated Feature Film Award Screening Committee(s). After the screenings, the committee(s) will vote by secret ballot to nominate from 3 to 5 films for this award. In any year in which 8 to 15 animated features are released in Los Angeles County, a maximum of 3 films may be nominated. In any year in which 16 or more animated features are submitted and accepted in the category, a maximum of 5 films may be nominated.

a) The Committee(s) will view all films entered and mark all entries 10, 9, 8, 7 or 6 with the guidelines of 10 (excellent), 8 (good), 7 (fair) or 6 (poor). Those films receiving an average score of 7.5 or more shall be eligible for nomination.

b) If only one production receives an average score of 7.5 or more, the committee(s) shall recommend to the Board of Governors that a Special Achievement Award for Animated Feature Film be made to that production.

c) If no production receives an average score of 7.5 or more, the committee(s) shall recommend to the Board of Governors that no award be made for Animated Feature Film this year.

3. Final voting for the Best Animated Feature Film Award shall be restricted to active and life Academy members.

4. The Short Films and Feature Animation Branch Executive Committee shall have the right and responsibility to resolve all questions of eligibility, rules interpretations and the designation of award recipients.

5. It remains within the sole and confidential discretion of the Board of Governors to determine if any Best Animated Feature Film Award shall be given for a particular year, and to make all final determinations regarding this category.
Old 08-23-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ginwen
It surprises me the people that have a stake would let that happen.
Like I said, I don't know the rules but maybe there's a Studio Ghibli movie (like Tales from Earthsea) that hasn't been released yet here they could roll out for a couple of weeks in LA and New York just to make there's 12.

Edit: I see that can't come out here until 2009 d/t rights issues, so I got nothing.

yup that's what i was thinking but then again since this year "sounds" like full of animated movies,they might forget! thanks for oscar link you provided.
Old 08-23-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ratatouille is a lock regardless.

I can't believe Delgo still isn't out. I saw that trailer 3 years ago.
Old 08-23-07, 06:22 PM

Persepolis is a French film, it hasn't even been released here yet.
Old 08-23-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There will be 3 nominees: Ratatouille, The Simpsons Movie, and either Surf's Up or Shrek the Third.
Old 08-23-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
There will be 3 nominees: Ratatouille, The Simpsons Movie, and either Surf's Up or Shrek the Third.
Would be nice if TMNT got a nomination. The film was enjoyable and impressive even with only a 34 Million budget.
Old 08-23-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They might as well just give it to Brad Bird now.
Old 08-23-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hardercore
Paprika should got a nomination before any of those last three films.
Old 08-24-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ratatouille is a shoe in.
Old 08-24-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd kill for an ATHF nomination. It has a very love-hate consensus, but I thought the film was pretty goddamn ingenious, and potentially the most brilliant low-brow movie I've ever seen. It's like David Lynch's South Park.

I'll double the punishment I still owe to the Academy for shutting Ryan Gosling out of a win and awarding a statue to a former American Idol who made Halle Berry look like a comedian with her emotions if Shrek the Third gets a nomination. Shrek ain't green anymore. He's starting to turn a rotting brown.

Last edited by Zen Peckinpah; 08-24-07 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-24-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
I'll double the punishment I still owe to the Academy for shutting Ryan Gosling out of a win and awarding a statue to a former American Idol who made Halle Berry look like a comedian with her emotions if Shrek the Third gets a nomination. Shrek ain't green anymore. He's starting to turn a rotting brown.
That's sig worthy. Could someone translate?
Old 08-24-07, 08:28 AM
Suspended

They only need one nominee: Ratatouille.
Old 08-24-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does it matter? Ratatouille has it already on lock.

Damn fine film, that happened to be animated.
Old 08-24-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the other films just seem to be rounding out the numbers. Brad Bird should (or at least deserves to) take out his second Oscar and third Annie for Best Picture (he won with both his previous films).
Old 08-24-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes Ratatouille is Brad Bird's best and the best animated movie of the year,so far.let's wait for Beowulf and Bee Movie.

to be honest, i wish it goes to RZ this time,The Polar Express was painfully underrated and overshadowed by The Incredibles success.
Old 08-25-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ratatouille will win it. Out of all the animated crap this year, it should only be between Ratatouille and Persopolis. I liked TMNT, but this is the Oscars, not MTV movie awards.