DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   "The Invasion" review thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/509445-invasion-review-thread.html)

Daytripper 08-17-07 04:26 PM

"The Invasion" review thread

Just got back from seeing a matinee of it. Is it the trainwreck so many people have been reporting? Not at all. It's neither great nor terrible. Personally I thought it was a decent bargain show. It's not really "scary". But neither were the first three IMO. Those were just creepy. And so is this one. And pretty effective at that. Yes, you can tell a new team were brought in to beef up the film in a few scenes. But I don't think it made it completely disjointed or unwatchable. Only one scene at the end was ridiculous. And that was only when the helicopter located Kidman's car. And what happened after that. Not enough info to warrant a spoiler. I thought Kidman was pretty good in this film. And the kid was not your typical obnoxious child actor. Daniel Craig was a little stiff. But servicable. All in all, I'd give the movie **1/2 or ***.

The Bus 08-17-07 06:27 PM

Nice. I was waffling between this and Superbad tonight. I'll leave this for the matinee. The dark of the matinee.

Indy Jones Fan 08-17-07 08:42 PM

I saw it today too and I have to agree. It wasn't that it was a bad movie...it just wasn't a very good one.

invisiblegt 08-17-07 10:20 PM

One word. One syllable.

Bland...

nateman 08-18-07 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
One word. One syllable.

Bland...

That describes %95 of the current Horror/Thrillers, starring big name Actors/actresses.

duluthdemon 08-18-07 01:29 PM

It's fine. Nowhere near the quality of the other remakes (I really dug 93's Body Snatchers), but it still has some decent moments.

mdc3000 08-18-07 02:21 PM

The tagline of 'do not fall asleep' was almost like a dare...I found most of this to be pretty damn boring. It's never absolutely terrible or campy, it's just uninteresting and finally when things start to kick into high gear, the movie is over.

The Bus 08-18-07 08:26 PM

Got back from seeing this and was very pleasantly surprised. The movie creeped me out in certain parts as no movie since The Ring has. Maybe it's because I'm unfamiliar with the story and have never seen it before, but I thought it was mostly engrossing and well directed. Mostly. About two-thirds of the way through, the film starts to lose steam and all creativity. The ending is pretty predictable and one of the biggest cop-outs since War of the Worlds. Overall, the performances are very good and this might be one of the least annoying child actors on screen in years.

A decent movie, just not sure if it's something I would want to see again. It did keep me entertained for the time I was there.

The Bus 08-18-07 08:35 PM

Is <a href="http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29864">Brian's review</a> right? Was it the Wachowski's who "guest directed" the last 20 minutes of this movie?

mdc3000 08-18-07 08:50 PM

It was James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) but the scenes were written by the Wachowski's - EW had a story on it this week.

Zodiac_Speaking 08-18-07 09:47 PM

This movie sucks. Some scenes were horribly edited, Nicole looked pretty throughout (unrealistic), and some major flaws (like the kid drinking water at the bloody fountain-just WTF, and some stiff dialogue).

Avoid.

Grade: D

Geofferson 08-18-07 10:53 PM

I too was not impressed with this. Did not add anything of value that the previous two didn't already cover.

duluthdemon 08-19-07 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
It was James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) but the scenes were written by the Wachowski's - EW had a story on it this week.

McTiegue called action and cut, but every other detail was Wachowskied.

Seantn 08-19-07 01:03 PM

According to...? Were you on set?

hdtv00 08-19-07 02:38 PM

Um I have to agree this movie sucked in almost every way. I mean really, not story worth crap, nothing really happens, end sucked. I mean christ I can't think of one single thing in the entire movie that made it worth watching.

Skip it , it's a complete waste of time. Which surprised me, I expected something good from what I'd seen/heard about it.

duluthdemon 08-19-07 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
According to...? Were you on set?

Yep. I PAed on the film.

Seantn 08-19-07 11:13 PM

Oh, cool. Any other inside secrets you can tell us about?

Do you know what the original ending was that they were replacing?

Cosmic Bus 08-20-07 05:09 AM

Someone care to spoil the ending for me? A friend, who thought this was decent at best, seemed incensed at how much of a cop-out it was.

Giles 08-20-07 08:33 AM

the only thing I found to be interesting was (being the Washingtonian that I am) was all the shots in and around DC - of which the filmmaker's gave no thanks to whatsoever in the end credits - asshats.

clemente 08-20-07 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Someone care to spoil the ending for me? A friend, who thought this was decent at best, seemed incensed at how much of a cop-out it was.

Spoiler:
Nicole Kidman's son had previously had some disease that made him immune (find this out about 2/3rd's way through the movie). At the very end, Nicole and her son are rescued and then cut to one year later where the infection has pretty much cured and contained.

I give them credit for reworking the xenophobia angle of the previous versions into something more contemporary - but having good ideas is different than following through on them. The really good meaty stuff is in the background or in the foreground ever so briefly.

wm lopez 08-20-07 10:03 PM

I remember the 50's had a good ending and so did the 70's version.
I forgot the 90's ending but I know I liked that the best.
Someone should do a poll on all 4 movies to see which is the best.

Robert 08-20-07 10:42 PM

The only redeeming thing was Kidman in a see-thru white t-shirt. :drool:

BDB 08-21-07 12:12 AM

This was terrible. I really didn't like it at all.

Giles 08-21-07 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I remember the 50's had a good ending and so did the 70's version.
I forgot the 90's ending but I know I liked that the best.
Someone should do a poll on all 4 movies to see which is the best.

what I remember from Abel Ferrara's 1993 film regarding the ending was

Spoiler:
the kid is infected but only revealed once they are rescued and are in the helicopter, he lets out this outlandish alien scream

maingon 08-22-07 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Robert
The only redeeming thing was Kidman in a see-thru white t-shirt. :drool:

that was a great scene. its worth seeing just for her, she looks pretty hot through out this movie, tight skirt and top. etc :)

Movie wasnt that bad but not great. There were some good moments in it but found the editing for wierd. Nicole Kidman was pretty good, Danial Craig wasnt that good I thought pretty bland. Kidman looked pretty hot in this movie.

Well if the Wachowski' brothers were involved at the end you wouldn't be able to tell, the car stuff isn't very impressive. especially considering that the Wachowski's were involved.